A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 22-05-2016 12:10 PM by Heatheness.)
A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias
16 Women Reveal The First Time They Felt Discriminated Against Because Of Their Gender

http://www.knowable.com/a/16-women-revea...0dd9ad877d

"Folks from around the world (but mostly North America) took to Quora last week to answer the question, "As a female, when was the first time you felt discriminated against because of your gender?" A big thank you to all of them for sharing their stories."

*This is not a debate about who's suffered more gender bias. This is not about men. This is not a statement that men have never felt gender bias, not because they haven't but because this is not about men. This is about women and when they first felt the sting of gender bias. If you want to discuss gender bias that men have suffered, because yes they have, you may do so in your own thread. This is not that thread. Please respect that. Thank you.*

As I read these stories it made me feel sad for all the little girls who've been made to feel less than just because of gender. I remember some of my own such events. It's a hard struggle to get past and sometimes I think even when you do it still taints your perspective.

There were only girls in my family so we learned to do everything, build fence, mow, pour concrete, do electrical, work on bikes and even cars a bit. My parents did support my desire to play sports and yet they never took any skill or achievement, that was historically male, seriously, just a phase. My dad even threw out my trophies from state competitions when I was about 14, that were stored in the basement (they displayed my dad's bowling trophy's in the family room but my state championships for softball and basketball never made the grade, I guess.)

Now, I didn't really notice that it affected me as a gender bias until I was much older but it was there. I also feel it probably was why I didn't bring to them any issues I had with gender bias. Their bias wasn't open or aggressive nor did I recognize it on the surface until I was a teen but I think I must have noticed on a more subconscious level. It shapes you in unexpected ways.

I remember when I started playing softball and I was about 8, practicing with my dad in the front yard. A neighbor boy came over to practice with us. He joined and before long he and my dad were throwing the ball back and forth but leaving me out every third or forth time. I called them on it and the boy said, "It doesn't matter, not like you're going to grow up to be a baseball player, like me." I said, "I might." He said, "Nope. They don't give scholarships to girls for sports and girls don't have professional baseball leagues." I looked at my dad for support. He said, "That's true." I don't think I even realize why I was angry about that.

One of the stories in there really resonated with me on that memory. Some interesting stories, most from when they were still girls. Share your own girl/woman gender bias story if you wish.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-05-2016, 11:58 AM
RE: A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias
(22-05-2016 11:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ...
when they fist felt the sting of gender bias.

Unsure

You might want to edit that.

Just sayin'

Blink

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
22-05-2016, 12:04 PM
I bought my first house when I was 20, and it was almost a complete rebuild, which I did myself with the occasional help of hired muscle.

When I went to the equipment rental place to rent a sander for the wood floors, the guy refused to rent it to me because I was female and could not handle such equipment.

I had to drive to the next city every time I needed to rent equipment because of that numb nut.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
22-05-2016, 12:13 PM
(22-05-2016 12:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  I bought my first house when I was 20, and it was almost a complete rebuild, which I did myself with the occasional help of hired muscle.

When I went to the equipment rental place to rent a sander for the wood floors, the guy refused to rent it to me because I was female and could not handle such equipment.

I had to drive to the next city every time I needed to rent equipment because of that numb nut.

Wow, not even to pad his own pocket. He probably thought he was a real Galahad, protecting you from yourself and all.

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
22-05-2016, 12:13 PM
(22-05-2016 11:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 11:42 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  ...
when they fist felt the sting of gender bias.

Unsure

You might want to edit that.

Just sayin'

Blink

Thank you. Smile

22-05-2016, 12:58 PM
What the...?

What's the deal with math? I'm a guy, and without a calculator I can't math for shit.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
22-05-2016, 01:10 PM
(22-05-2016 12:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What the...?

What's the deal with math? I'm a guy, and without a calculator I can't math for shit.

It's been a common myth that "girls can't math". I can math real good, I just don't wanna. Big Grin

I heard that a bit in school too, back in the dark ages. Unfortunately that inaccurate stereotype still holds weight in many areas. I had a math teacher in middle school (Jr. High for us oldies) who put all the boys in front of the class and girls at the back. He didn't want to know what we didn't know. Luckily, that did not last. Someone's mom (not mine) complained that her daughter was failing and shouldn't be, so it was determined that we needed to mix it up a bit. I think he was chastised some but he still only rarely called on any girls.

He was gone the next year. Went to teach at the Catholic school.

22-05-2016, 01:22 PM
1997 my first job interview. Asked when I was planning on having children. I was 17 at the time.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes ukatheist's post
22-05-2016, 01:26 PM
(22-05-2016 01:22 PM)ukatheist Wrote:  1997 my first job interview. Asked when I was planning on having children. I was 17 at the time.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Shocking Children at 17? Holey crap. Wonder if he had a teen pregnancy in his family?

22-05-2016, 02:44 PM
To be perfectly honest, I do feel some gender bias in the religious community, but nothing that I can’t deal with. Certainly nothing to the extent of what people may think when they think of women in religious communities. Outside of the religious community, I don’t really feel any gender bias. Once in a while, I might get an off comment, particularly when I bring up the field that I’m trying to get into, but those comments always come from women. Things like, “Oh, it’s so nice to see more women getting into STEM fields.” Upon reflection, comments like that could be planting insecurity in a woman’s mind that wasn’t there before.

Actually… now that I think about it, the times when I feel most gender bias against me are when I’m mingling with other women. They want to talk about juice boxes, car seats, their babies or the new preschool that’s being built up the street. Even when I go to events when I’m mingling with women of all ages, I find that the conversation is just very female. Why the fuck would I care about the programs on TLC, yoga and Pilates, or gluten or carbs? No, I don’t really care to gossip about the teachers at your son’s elementary school and the features in your new Honda Odyssey make me feel depressed at thought of where my life may be headed.

When I try to start conversations, they look at me like I’m a crazy person because the topics that interest me don’t tend to hold the same level of fascination for the females (of any age) that I sometimes get forced to socialize with.

Come to think of it, I experience a ton of gender bias, and it all comes from women! Angry
[+] 3 users Like Aliza's post