A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 03:04 PM
RE: A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias
(22-05-2016 02:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  To be perfectly honest, I do feel some gender bias in the religious community, but nothing that I can’t deal with. Certainly nothing to the extent of what people may think when they think of women in religious communities. Outside of the religious community, I don’t really feel any gender bias. Once in a while, I might get an off comment, particularly when I bring up the field that I’m trying to get into, but those comments always come from women. Things like, “Oh, it’s so nice to see more women getting into STEM fields.” Upon reflection, comments like that could be planting insecurity in a woman’s mind that wasn’t there before.

Actually… now that I think about it, the times when I feel most gender bias against me are when I’m mingling with other women. They want to talk about juice boxes, car seats, their babies or the new preschool that’s being built up the street. Even when I go to events when I’m mingling with women of all ages, I find that the conversation is just very female. Why the fuck would I care about the programs on TLC, yoga and Pilates, or gluten or carbs? No, I don’t really care to gossip about the teachers at your son’s elementary school and the features in your new Honda Odyssey make me feel depressed at thought of where my life may be headed.

When I try to start conversations, they look at me like I’m a crazy person because the topics that interest me don’t tend to hold the same level of fascination for the females (of any age) that I sometimes get forced to socialize with.

Come to think of it, I experience a ton of gender bias, and it all comes from women! Angry

Oh yes, they are certainly responsible for helping to perpetuate gender bias. No one ever said it was a male thing, just that it exists. Women do denigrate their own and well as vote against their own best interest. This too is another reason feminism is still important. It can educate women into supporting and not tearing down each other.

That you have little in common with some or most women you have contact with is a shame. It does happen though. I find I prefer the company of like minded people of either gender, their gender really does play into it as much as their ideas.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
22-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I think that in many cases it is more of a case of "Oh,poor little me, every one picks on me because I am a girl." When and where I went to school it was pushed at us that some boys may be able to keep up with the girls in math, but don't count on it!
22-05-2016, 03:13 PM
(22-05-2016 03:09 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I think that in many cases it is more of a case of "Oh,poor little me, every one picks on me because I am a girl." When and where I went to school it was pushed at us that some boys may be able to keep up with the girls in math, but don't count on it!

So did you read the OP and choose to ignore the request or just couldn't bother to read it. How about, it doesn't matter... Piss off!

22-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes I read it, and I try to always when someone tells me that I am not allowed to do something to go ahead and do it. Like the religious who show up here and tell us that we are not allowed to disagree with them This is an internet forum, the whole point of it is different points of view, You try to say that mine isn't valid? OK I don't think yours is valid either!
[+] 1 user Likes Born Again Pagan's post
22-05-2016, 03:20 PM
(22-05-2016 03:13 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 03:09 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I think that in many cases it is more of a case of "Oh,poor little me, every one picks on me because I am a girl." When and where I went to school it was pushed at us that some boys may be able to keep up with the girls in math, but don't count on it!

So did you read the OP and choose to ignore the request or just couldn't bother to read it. How about, it doesn't matter... Piss off!

Give the old man a break and shit. 'cause he's an old man and shit. ....I am old but I am happy.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-05-2016, 03:24 PM
(22-05-2016 01:10 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 12:58 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  What the...?

What's the deal with math? I'm a guy, and without a calculator I can't math for shit.

It's been a common myth that "girls can't math". I can math real good, I just don't wanna. Big Grin

Your English, on the other hand ...
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
22-05-2016, 03:47 PM
(22-05-2016 03:17 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  Yes I read it, and I try to always when someone tells me that I am not allowed to do something to go ahead and do it. Like the religious who show up here and tell us that we are not allowed to disagree with them This is an internet forum, the whole point of it is different points of view, You try to say that mine isn't valid? OK I don't think yours is valid either!

So you're just here to be an asshat. Got it. Fuck off then.

22-05-2016, 04:04 PM
(22-05-2016 03:04 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  It can educate women into supporting and not tearing down each other.

You know I like ya, but I am here to tell you that women will always tear each other down. Just how they compete

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_int...ompetition

Don't blame me blame evolution.

Also I can understand the frustration, religion is a backwards thing.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
22-05-2016, 04:12 PM
(22-05-2016 04:04 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 03:04 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  It can educate women into supporting and not tearing down each other.

You know I like ya, but I am here to tell you that women will always tear each other down. Just how they compete

Sorry, can't thread jack my own thread. Maybe some other time.

22-05-2016, 04:12 PM
(22-05-2016 04:12 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(22-05-2016 04:04 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  You know I like ya, but I am here to tell you that women will always tear each other down. Just how they compete

Sorry, can't thread jack my own thread. Maybe some other time.

Sure Tongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube