A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: A Sting You Don't Forget: Women Share Their 1st Experience of Gender Bias
Sounds like my high school in the '60s. It was still rare for a girl to be in a shop class, but they did exist, mostly in wood shop. Interestingly enough, the class that had guys in it for cooking was called something with "Chef" in the title. I graduated HS in 1970. One of my younger brothers (2 years behind me) was able to take that class. I don't recall that I had that option, but I was taking Physics, Chemistry and Biology, college bound, so just may not have considered it. I still had to learn to cook meals at home, so I probably didn't miss much. Lot of good that college prep did. I didn't go back to school (college) until I was 25.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-05-2016, 10:32 PM
My sister worked for two years on the railroad as a switchperson, a job that was traditionally all male. For the first year they did not speak to her. She thought it was sexist crap until she finished that miserable first year.
The guys started inviting her into the card games, talking to her. Turns out that it was not sexist. They treated all first year hands as if they did not exist. So many failed out in the first year, they did not invest any kindness or anything beyond training in them.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
23-05-2016, 05:24 AM
(22-05-2016 10:32 PM)skyking Wrote:  My sister worked for two years on the railroad as a switchperson, a job that was traditionally all male. For the first year they did not speak to her. She thought it was sexist crap until she finished that miserable first year.
The guys started inviting her into the card games, talking to her. Turns out that it was not sexist. They treated all first year hands as if they did not exist. So many failed out in the first year, they did not invest any kindness or anything beyond training in them.

I've seen that newb crap before. Terribly mean regardless of who you are. Glad she made it through.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
23-05-2016, 05:27 AM
(22-05-2016 10:18 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Sounds like my high school in the '60s. It was still rare for a girl to be in a shop class, but they did exist, mostly in wood shop. Interestingly enough, the class that had guys in it for cooking was called something with "Chef" in the title. I graduated HS in 1970. One of my younger brothers (2 years behind me) was able to take that class. I don't recall that I had that option, but I was taking Physics, Chemistry and Biology, college bound, so just may not have considered it. I still had to learn to cook meals at home, so I probably didn't miss much. Lot of good that college prep did. I didn't go back to school (college) until I was 25.

I found in HS that elective courses were much less gender biased, in my school anyway. Career courses seemed to take themselves more seriously and didn't want to mess about with what they saw as non-potential. BUT I had my own bias at the time against school in general, you know, rebellion. So my POV is colored on that front. lol

23-05-2016, 08:09 AM
In the early 80s I had to bridge income for a month while preparing to open a new business. So I got the first job that came along - selling large appliances in a big department store.

Selling machines of any kind was a completely male business. There were 4 men also working the same job. Basically you stayed around the department and waited for customers to show up and tried to get to them first. Sales people had to compete with each other, there was a low basic salary and you had to make up the rest with commissions.

Luckily I was only looking for the base pay, and sales of business clothing with added employee discount so I had stuff to wear when I launched the new business.

The 4 men worked out a cooperative plan to get rid of me. Everyone would stand around and chat, waiting for customers. Then one of them would walk me to one of the machines and start explaining something, and wouldn't you know, one of the other men grabbed a customer. They took turns distracting me while others made sales. Took me a couple days to catch on, I was naïve and thought they were being friendly.

Then my tools would disappear, like measuring tape and stuff. Then my sheet with the serial numbers of the machines was swapped out for one with faulty numbers. Every time I had to stop and look for something, one of the guys would grab the customer.

They tried like heck to get rid of the woman. Luckily I didn't care, I bought my clothes and made the base salary and quit at the end of the month. I assume they were delighted they won. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
23-05-2016, 08:25 AM
It's called a shut out. Yep, my previous job was that way. All but two refused to speak to me because: woman. Part of it was cultural as some of the men were Chinese and they flat out told me women did not belong in manufacturing. I was the adim asst and had some authority over them, which they also ignored, like safety traing and human resources stuff. I kept at it and eventually they caved one by one. Though one did throw a hissy fit and quit. He was not a immigrant with cultural differences, just a young egotistical asshole. lol

[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
24-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Read this and thought of your thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/opinio....html?_r=0

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-05-2016, 05:36 AM
(24-05-2016 12:28 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Read this and thought of your thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/opinio....html?_r=0

Thanks for that. Great article. Hug

24-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Disclosure: Samantha Bee fan

Watch Samantha Bee’s delightful takedown of sexism from Seattle sports fans.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11689472/sa...sm-council

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-05-2016, 05:06 PM
(24-05-2016 07:48 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Disclosure: Samantha Bee fan

Watch Samantha Bee’s delightful takedown of sexism from Seattle sports fans.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/17/11689472/sa...sm-council

Lmao... yep, don't you dare be a woman stand in the way of what men want or you're a cunt. Laughat