A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
17-12-2012, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2012 09:01 AM by Vera.)
RE: A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism
What is beyond me is how pleasing a made-up, make-believe, unimaginably cruel entity, with morals from thousands of years ago (and not the most admirable even back then) can give anyone anything else than a feeling of dread and utter despair. I'll take random over your god any day of the week. Any of your gods.

(And, Egor, spare me how I am too stupid and evil to understand it. Don't bother trying to enlighten me.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
17-12-2012, 08:37 AM
(17-12-2012 07:47 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Ok...I hear that. Yet....are you sure?

Isn't Christianity all about dreaming about heaven? And....worrying about whether you've done enough to get there? Isn't god watching you when you go to the toilet? Doesn't jeebus say your sins will be broadcast from the rooftops when you die? Doesn't he say blessed are they who mourn, they'll get their reward later? Can't he read all your wicked thoughts?

You may feel warm and fuzzy talking to your generic imaginary friend....but he's also out to get you, to control you, and to determine your ultimate destiny. That, I say, must piss you off, even if you don't realise (oops sorry Bucky...realize) it.

YOU are in charge of your destiny. YOU have to find your own meaning to be happy (so do I). It's not going to be handed to you on a plate by "accepting Jesus"

Christianity is a Worldview. It's not so much about how to train your mind to think a certain way as it is a truth claim about where everything came from, why it's here, why we're here and what happened to make everything the way way it is now (Evil, suffering, love and so on).

What you've laid out is the basic misconception of religion in that it's just a bunch of nuts believing in something that children read about in their storybooks.
My understanding is that a closed mind will completely not even consider a worldview based on either misconceptions or it's "silliness".

I'll be honest though, when it comes to the religion that I claim to be a part of (Christianity), I do not take it blindly, I take it with full skepticism. I don't lean on Christianity to find my belief in God, and I simply don't use any religion to do so either.

(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "You see, all of my reasoning and logic would have to be destroyed in order to cease my belief in God."

Huh? Please explain. I would genuinely like to understand you.

I have reasoned to both the existence and nonexistence of God only to find the existence of God to be more probable.
This continued reasoning has held my belief in God in tact for a large portion of my life.
In order for me to cease my belief in God completely, I believe I would need years of logic and reasoning reversed and basically destroyed.

Perhaps you know what I mean now Smile

And btw, nice to meet you Mark Fulton. I don't remember meeting you yet lol

And I have reasoned that the existence of gods is highly improbable. The evidence is in the way the universe operates.

You can reverse your years of logic by understanding the universe as it is.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2012, 08:43 AM
(17-12-2012 08:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  Any of your gods.

Not my Gwynnies! Heart

And! U R Dumb. Laughat

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-12-2012, 08:51 AM
(17-12-2012 08:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 08:33 AM)Vera Wrote:  Any of your gods.

Not my Gwynnies! Heart

And! U R Dumb. Laughat
Have I ever claimed I'm not?

(And you can keep your Gwynnies; people, all of them, always get boring, given enough time and then it's time to move on. Never said I wasn't a bitch, either. Drinking Beverage )

17-12-2012, 08:59 AM
(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've just finished gandering.
Cheers mate.

Where can I get me summadat?
Its as common as rocking horse shit. I know loads of people all over the UK and none of them can get it in crystal form Weeping

Its not actually illegal to own the two plants that make ayahausca, so next year im ordering some online and Im going to make my own brew. Making the crystals to smoke is dodgy and dangerous and im sure the people who I house share with wouldnt appreciate me turning the kitchen in a laboratory (plus ill probably burn the place down)

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
17-12-2012, 09:47 AM
(17-12-2012 08:59 AM)bemore Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I've just finished gandering.
Cheers mate.

Where can I get me summadat?
Its as common as rocking horse shit. I know loads of people all over the UK and none of them can get it in crystal form Weeping

Its not actually illegal to own the two plants that make ayahausca, so next year im ordering some online and Im going to make my own brew. Making the crystals to smoke is dodgy and dangerous and im sure the people who I house share with wouldnt appreciate me turning the kitchen in a laboratory (plus ill probably burn the place down)

Yes

That would be worth the airfare back to Blighty.

Ahem... just to further scientific discovery, of course.

Lemme know how you get on.

17-12-2012, 11:10 AM
(17-12-2012 08:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 08:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Not my Gwynnies! Heart

And! U R Dumb. Laughat
Have I ever claimed I'm not?

(And you can keep your Gwynnies; people, all of them, always get boring, given enough time and then it's time to move on. Never said I wasn't a bitch, either. Drinking Beverage )
Nuh-uh! Gwynnies for everz! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
17-12-2012, 11:13 AM
(17-12-2012 11:10 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 08:51 AM)Vera Wrote:  Have I ever claimed I'm not?

Nuh-uh! Gwynnies for everz! Big Grin
"By the livin' Gawd that made you (or Gwynnies you worship),
You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!"

17-12-2012, 01:33 PM
(16-12-2012 02:40 PM)Egor Wrote:  All I want is for you to think of the implications of your atheism so that you will have a better eternity. Because you're still going to have an eternity one way or another. You've been brought into existence; you're never going out.
You didn't have a problem with non-existence before you were born and you won't have a problem with it after you die either. You just don't know it yet. (Although, unless you change your mind, technically you never will know it.)

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
17-12-2012, 06:26 PM
(17-12-2012 07:47 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Ok...I hear that. Yet....are you sure?

Isn't Christianity all about dreaming about heaven? And....worrying about whether you've done enough to get there? Isn't god watching you when you go to the toilet? Doesn't jeebus say your sins will be broadcast from the rooftops when you die? Doesn't he say blessed are they who mourn, they'll get their reward later? Can't he read all your wicked thoughts?

You may feel warm and fuzzy talking to your generic imaginary friend....but he's also out to get you, to control you, and to determine your ultimate destiny. That, I say, must piss you off, even if you don't realise (oops sorry Bucky...realize) it.

YOU are in charge of your destiny. YOU have to find your own meaning to be happy (so do I). It's not going to be handed to you on a plate by "accepting Jesus"

Christianity is a Worldview. It's not so much about how to train your mind to think a certain way as it is a truth claim about where everything came from, why it's here, why we're here and what happened to make everything the way way it is now (Evil, suffering, love and so on).

What you've laid out is the basic misconception of religion in that it's just a bunch of nuts believing in something that children read about in their storybooks.
My understanding is that a closed mind will completely not even consider a worldview based on either misconceptions or it's "silliness".

I'll be honest though, when it comes to the religion that I claim to be a part of (Christianity), I do not take it blindly, I take it with full skepticism. I don't lean on Christianity to find my belief in God, and I simply don't use any religion to do so either.

(17-12-2012 07:20 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "You see, all of my reasoning and logic would have to be destroyed in order to cease my belief in God."

Huh? Please explain. I would genuinely like to understand you.

I have reasoned to both the existence and nonexistence of God only to find the existence of God to be more probable.
This continued reasoning has held my belief in God in tact for a large portion of my life.
In order for me to cease my belief in God completely, I believe I would need years of logic and reasoning reversed and basically destroyed.

Perhaps you know what I mean now Smile

And btw, nice to meet you Mark Fulton. I don't remember meeting you yet lol

Really nice to meet you too!

Christianity a worldview? Mmmmmmmm. You gotta do a mountainload od editing and interpreting to get some sort of "Worldview" out of it. I would call it a "mess", a "quagmire", rather than anything logical or coherent.

You think Christianity is a "truth claim?" Realy? Which bit of it? Where's the "truth?"