A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
19-12-2012, 07:27 AM
RE: A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism
(19-12-2012 07:18 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Circumstantial in nature, yes. Physical, no.

So the answer is no, there isn't.

Quote:
Well, if God truly does exist, then surely our minds are purely still free to understand and believe whatever it learns. Being created to function without inherently believing in God from birth does not mean this creator is unskillful. Consequently, that also does not follow that He must not exist if we are able to not believe in Him.

Then why is the punishment for not believing in him eternal suffering? And why has he never shown himself to his beloved creations? He into hide-and-seek or something?
Quote:
I believe our intelligence, as well as the rapid growth of our intelligence is what makes us so much different from everything else here.
Our ability to create massive cities, airplains based on aerodynamics, and iPads.

Our understanding of information, the concept of love and the ability to see into the vastness of the Universe.

That's a growth of knowledge, not of intelligence. You know that scientists have claimed that our capacity for knowledge hasn't really changed since... well, since we came into being.

Quote:I do think that humans far exceed other beings here on Earth. I am much more inclined to believe so than I am to believe that we're not much more advanced than a dog.

And how do you know that some other species won't evolve into something even "greater" than us? After all, that's how we became self-aware - evolution.

Quote:Although, God holds more substance than the other ideas.
Why? Because we like to think it does?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
19-12-2012, 07:43 AM
After reading the past coupla pages, Idea, you all fluffy and nice and stuff, what the fuck you doing in this shark pit?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-12-2012, 07:51 AM
(19-12-2012 07:43 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  After reading the past coupla pages, Idea, you all fluffy and nice and stuff, what the fuck you doing in this shark pit?

Honestly?

I'm just at work and bored lol XD
I work 8 hours in the dark at a desk staring at surveillance cameras.

Plus, I'm in the mood lately. I wont be later..

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
19-12-2012, 07:57 AM
(19-12-2012 07:18 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 06:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  Like what? Any evidence, that is demonstrable and retestable and not wishful thinking and metaphysical mumbo-jumbo?

Circumstantial in nature, yes. Physical, no.

(19-12-2012 06:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  Why would my brain rebel against the idea of its own creator? Unless this creator wasn't that skillful after all. (And original sin is not an answer).

Well, if God truly does exist, then surely our minds are purely still free to understand and believe whatever it learns. Being created to function without inherently believing in God from birth does not mean this creator is unskillful. Consequently, that also does not follow that He must not exist if we are able to not believe in Him.

(19-12-2012 06:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  What is so rare about us that sets us so far apart from the rest of the living beings on this planet? A bit of self-awareness is not nearly enough to justify how unbelievably inflated our egos are.

I believe our intelligence, as well as the rapid growth of our intelligence is what makes us so much different from everything else here.
Our ability to create massive cities, airplains based on aerodynamics, and iPads.
Our understanding of information, the concept of love and the ability to see into the vastness of the Universe.

I do think that humans far exceed other beings here on Earth. I am much more inclined to believe so than I am to believe that we're not much more advanced than a dog.

(19-12-2012 06:15 AM)Vera Wrote:  Is knowing that unicorns, leprechauns and elves do not exist also far-fetched?

Not as far-fetched as others.
It's still just something we believe does not exist based on what we know about where it came from and logic.
You would possibly say the same about God.
Although, God holds more substance than the other ideas.
You may like to think it doesn't but it's pretty clear that it's a more widely held idea than the belief in Leprechauns - which still does nothing towards it's validity.
But the idea that God is a far-fetched idea does not take it out of or put it into existence.
Laughat
If the universe was created, given that is a big if.

Put your self in the mind of a creator. Then the universe to be created for the soul intention of eventually having beings worship you, shows those beings that you are extremely lacking in some emotional context. How wasteful that process would be for the rest of the space in the universe to be useless to you, except for that one planet, for that one species, for that worship. It would lead to the idea that this creator was inept and obsessed with his own lacking self esteem.

However if the universe was created for anything, simulation or phsyical, the most likely scenario would be that it was created to derive new information from that universe. A race of beings being capable of doing so, would be the most likely conclusion from that premise.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-12-2012, 07:58 AM
(19-12-2012 07:51 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Plus, I'm in the mood lately. I wont be later..
You and me both, brother Tongue

So you're a bit like the god of your own building? Watching from a distance, judging, biding your time, waiting to strikeWink

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
19-12-2012, 08:25 AM
(19-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 07:51 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  Plus, I'm in the mood lately. I wont be later..
You and me both, brother Tongue

So you're a bit like the god of your own building? Watching from a distance, judging, biding your time, waiting to strikeWink
Dunno if anyone would notice if the surveillance camera operators went on strike Consider
19-12-2012, 08:26 AM
(19-12-2012 08:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 07:58 AM)Vera Wrote:  You and me both, brother Tongue

Dunno if anyone would notice if the surveillance camera operators went on strike Consider
Do they even exist or are they mere figments of our imaginations, trying to appease the desperate need to feel that someone is watching? Consider

19-12-2012, 08:33 AM
(19-12-2012 07:57 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  Then the universe to be created for the soul intention...

That's intention of soul, ladies and gents. Dodgy

I mean, how da fuck you people come up with this shit? (Don't mind me, I'm having a prophet moment, but) How does one lead to another? Felt like pretending to be a theist for the past coupla pages because the universe may have a purpose that is rational, explicable, and emergent - the conservation of entropy - and this purpose thus likely resolved through bootstrapping.

But no! Fucking Idea equates his furriness with "somewhat Christian," and alla sudden, he's Torquemada. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-12-2012, 08:35 AM
(19-12-2012 08:26 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(19-12-2012 08:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  Dunno if anyone would notice if the surveillance camera operators went on strike Consider
Do they even exist or are they mere figments of our imaginations, trying to appease the desperate need to feel that someone is watching? Consider
Ohmy Well this guy *claims* to actually be one, but maybe he's just deranged. Hey Ideas, what am I doing right now ?