A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
12-12-2012, 03:47 PM
RE: A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism
(12-12-2012 12:52 PM)Egor Wrote:  If you think arguing atheist vs. God is gut-wrenching, try going over to Catholic Forums and arguing morality. Those people are utterly insane. I mean, atheists are wrong and illogical, but one doesn't have to be insane to be an atheist. To be a practicing Catholic, I honestly think you have to completely out of your mind. It is no wonder so many Catholics become atheists. If I were a Catholic, born and raised, and that's the only way I really understood God, I'd become an atheist. No sane person could not become an atheist after such an early exposure.

However, that's still not a good reason to be an atheist. Atheism is still a fallacy. God exists in spite of the Catholic Church.

[Image: nunssssssssss.jpg]
Which GOD? El, El ELyon, or El Shaddia? All Canaanite and Amorite GOD's? OR yahweh likely originally a moon GOD in relation to the Egyptian moon god Yah, and the Sumerian GOD "Sin"? Someone who claims GOD exists is being pretty dishonest in their statements when they really know they don't actually know.. It's strange you talk about morality but never question the moral implication of having to lie to one's self for a convincing argument and a means to espouse it in an absolute negative statement in an atheist fora :/

That feeling you use to assure yourself in your belief is simply your attachment to the idea, and I dare say that a man who has intimate relations with his car would be much different. :/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheJackal's post
12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush. ... Drinking Beverage
It does get old doesn't it. If I wanted to have a stale conversation, I could go speak with an old loaf of bread.
badumtss
12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush. ... Drinking Beverage
Oh, I LOVE mulberries.

[Image: julie-blog-mulberry-tree-1.jpg]
Totally unrelated and derailing, I know. And guess what? I don't bloody care. Drinking Beverage

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
12-12-2012, 03:58 PM
(12-12-2012 03:57 PM)Vera Wrote:  
Oh, I LOVE mulberries.

[Image: julie-blog-mulberry-tree-1.jpg]
Totally unrelated and derailing, I know. And guess what? I don't bloody care. Drinking Beverage
They look like blackberries Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
12-12-2012, 04:01 PM
(12-12-2012 03:44 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:37 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm going with either the robes or the incense.
Sad

Robes look awesome and incense smells great.

I'm not diggin' the incense or the robes. Wait... Consider now that I think of it... I did run into a group of 25ish jesuits with the long black robes tied at the waist - they were pretty hot.

However, I do like the majority of their windows - the stained glass and the sculpture would really be the only stuff I would miss about losing the Catholic church.

And hot young jesuits.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-12-2012, 04:02 PM
(12-12-2012 03:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  They look like blackberries Consider
Well, they're not. Can't you see they're growing on a tree, silly. (And yeah, it ain't no bush. I've climbed my fair share of mulberry trees as a kid).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
12-12-2012, 04:04 PM
(12-12-2012 12:52 PM)Egor Wrote:  If you think arguing atheist vs. God is gut-wrenching, try going over to Catholic Forums and arguing morality. Those people are utterly insane. I mean, atheists are wrong and illogical, but one doesn't have to be insane to be an atheist. To be a practicing Catholic, I honestly think you have to completely out of your mind. It is no wonder so many Catholics become atheists. If I were a Catholic, born and raised, and that's the only way I really understood God, I'd become an atheist. No sane person could not become an atheist after such an early exposure.

However, that's still not a good reason to be an atheist. Atheism is still a fallacy. God exists in spite of the Catholic Church.

[Image: nunssssssssss.jpg]
How can you say God exists without providing a definition?
Do you mean the omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, perfectly good one?
Perhaps you mean the ineffable God?
If God is unknowable, to claim that the unknowable exists, isn't to say much?
If God is .O.O.O.P(?), you really need to justify your belief.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-12-2012, 04:11 PM
(12-12-2012 03:51 PM)Logisch Wrote:  
It does get old doesn't it. If I wanted to have a stale conversation, I could go speak with an old loaf of bread.
badumtss
I'm jealous. Egor gets all this attention for being inconsistent and flip-flopping his beliefs repeatedly. I want some of that mojo. I think I'll flip-flop to theism for a while. Maybe Catholicism, just to piss Egor off.

On second thought, my stomach is not strong enough to be any kind of theist.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
(12-12-2012 04:04 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  How can you say God exists without providing a definition?
Do you mean the omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient, perfectly good one?
Perhaps you mean the ineffable God?
If God is unknowable, to claim that the unknowable exists, isn't to say much?
If God is .O.O.O.P(?), you really need to justify your belief.
I think he means the "I don't know how to explain something so it must be God even though I have no clue at all what God is and I don't really believe there is a god" god.

God is like the Illuminati. Neither are real, there is zero (good) reason to believe in either, but yet, they sure do explain a lot so, yeah, they must be real and it's illogical to believe otherwise.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM

(12-12-2012 01:20 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Egor, you yo-yoed again! Big Grin

Shit happens. Oops

Quote:Just a word of observation: Have you ever noticed you get angrier when you are in your christian zone? You seem way more frustrated and reactive but when you switch back to the God as a MF conciousness, you seem calmer and easier to converse with. Is that what you mean by

Quote:There is no way to be part of the Christian religion without that turning to evil in one way or another.

That is true, isn’t it? I’m actually a happier individual when I stick to what I honestly believe rather than shifting around. You know what religion is like? It’s like driving onto an Air Force base after you’ve left the military. I was able to do this, because my wife retired from the USAF, so I was her dependent. Anyway, on the outside, you see how clean the base is, how orderly people are in their behavior, how everyone has to have a minimum standard of intelligence, courtesy, discipline. There’s old airplanes mounted on stands like an air museum, and all the buildings are neat and modern. And you start to think about how good it was to live in the military and you forget how you no longer had any civil rights and they could order you to do anything and if you didn’t do it you would go to jail—and if you tried to run away, you would go to jail, and if you didn’t go to jail, you’d be dishonorably discharged which is the equivalent of having a felony on your record forever.

So, I leave religion, and I’m a free-thinking human being, but then I start to miss the structure, and I forget just how grotesque the religious system is. I forget how corrupt the souls are that flock to religion.

For me, it’s even harder, because Veridicanism (my own religion) has Jesus Christ as the main teacher, so I’m like a Christian in that respect. But in fact, I’m not a Christian at all.

So, I bounce around. I’m thinking of restarting a Veridican website. After all, I did publish “The Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ.” It’s not like I can hide my religious affiliation to Veridicanism. Maybe if I did that, I could keep myself far far away from the Christians. Jesus, I feel like the protagonist in the song “Hurt” by NIN.

(12-12-2012 01:47 PM)bemore Wrote:  Would you consider yourself a pantheist then Egor (I think I might have asked you that before Consider )

Thank you for asking. No. Few people understand the difference between pantheism and monism, but there is a hair’s difference that makes all the difference in the world—no pun intended.

A pantheist would say that God is the universe. A monist would say that the universe is God. A pantheist would say that the component parts of God are the things of the universe (seen and unseen, physical and spiritual). A monist would say that the things of the universe are made from the substance of God, so that there really isn’t anything that exists except for God (Spinoza would say God has an infinite number of attributes expressed through an infinite number of modalities. For instance, Consciousness would be an attribute; the human mind would be a modality of that attribute).

It’s a subtle difference, I admit, but it makes a huge difference when you start to contemplate the implications of one or the other. Also, scientifically, monism is more realistic. For instance, there is no “supernatural” in monism. There is only God.
Moreover, the Gospel teachings of Jesus Christ don’t make any sense unless God is monistic in nature. When we see Jesus as what we should be, and the disciples as various aspects of a human’s personality, then we see the Gospel was really written by us for us. In other words, you wrote the Gospel as a message to yourself to wake yourself up into Christ.
But now I’m going on a bit, aren’t I?

(12-12-2012 01:48 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Just curious. What about Catholicism do you find more insane than other religions?

For one, their stance on abortion. They defend innocent life, as they call it, but don’t differentiate between a fertilized ovum and a 40-year-old man. They believe war is ok and self-defense is okay, but execution is wrong, and mercy killing is wrong. They are all over the board in their moral logic.

In their forum on Moral Philosophy, there are tons of posts on how to stop masturbating; is touching your GF breast a sin? Can married people have sex if there is no chance of pregnancy?. And on, and on. It’s actually perverse the amount of sex talk going on there. This forum is actually much cleaner in that respect. But they don’t see the perversion of it. You should read some of the advice on how to stop masturbating. It’s insane.

(12-12-2012 01:53 PM)kpax Wrote:  If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything. Just saying.
Egor, you need to find out who you are. And you can't post around here telling people how wrong they are when you haven't even discovered your own truth. It just makes you look silly.

You really can’t get any sillier than saying there is no God, so I’m in good company—but thanks for your priceless advice. Bowing
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post