A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 2 Average
12-12-2012, 05:18 PM

RE: A Stomach Strong Enough for Atheism
(12-12-2012 01:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Good old flippity-flop Egor has flippity-flopped to his monistic consciousness god again. Yikes, how exciting. Rolleyes

Just sit down, shut up, and watch the show.

[Image: lighter_at_concert.jpg]

(12-12-2012 02:12 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Hey, Ed. I get what you're saying... trust me. But, more specifically, what is it about them that you abhor so much?

I hate the way legalism leads to immorality. Every time you make a law, you allow for an infinite amount of immorality. "Do not take your neighbors wallet." Okay, but I can take his house, his dog, his wife, his job, his car, and on and on. And all those other things are good because they're not against the law. The Catholics in particular make a mockery of Jesus Christ inasmuch as he came to earth, lived, taught, and died for us, and now that he's gone, the Church steps in and makes a legal system to replace him. Just like the Jews before he came. They trash the New Testament and make it part of the Old Testament.

[Image: pope.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
12-12-2012, 05:21 PM

(12-12-2012 02:42 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm pretty sure Egor views me as a heathen; not sure, though.

If I were a Catholic I would. As a Veridican, I don't give a damn what you believe. Actually, as a Veridican, it doesn't even matter what you believe.

(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  Here we go 'round the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush, the mulberry bush. ... Drinking Beverage

Shouldn't you be choking on a cock somewhere? Yes
12-12-2012, 05:23 PM
(12-12-2012 01:57 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Good old flippity-flop Egor has flippity-flopped to his monistic consciousness god again. Yikes, how exciting. Rolleyes
Egor at least has the courage to tackle highly abstract philosophical issues, which is much harder than formulating materialistic arguments based on a man made logic that only goes so far.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
(12-12-2012 05:18 PM)Egor Wrote:  They trash the New Testament and make it part of the Old Testament.

Well, the stuff in the second book was "foretold" in the first book. At least that's how Jews and Christians like to tell it.

Good for you Egor for being separate unto yourself... as it was foretol... oh, never mind. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
12-12-2012, 05:32 PM

(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  So your particular definition of god is correct and everyone else is wrong.

Opinion noted.
Drinking Beverage

I can argue my particular definition, that's why I believe it.

(12-12-2012 03:47 PM)bemore Wrote:  Maybe its the covering up of kiddie fiddling that he doesnt like Consider

You know, I don't even blame the Chruch for that, because that happens in college showers, too. What I can't stand is that they have made themselves the authority over what is a sin and what isn't a sin. And their smug attitude about it makes me want to feed them to a lion.

(12-12-2012 04:11 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I'm jealous. Egor gets all this attention for being inconsistent and flip-flopping his beliefs repeatedly. I want some of that mojo. I think I'll flip-flop to theism for a while. Maybe Catholicism, just to piss Egor off.

It wouldn't work, because I'm the real deal. You'd just be faking--a big tourist.
12-12-2012, 05:58 PM
(12-12-2012 05:32 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  So your particular definition of god is correct and everyone else is wrong.

Opinion noted.
Drinking Beverage

I can argue my particular definition, that's why I believe it.

(12-12-2012 03:47 PM)bemore Wrote:  Maybe its the covering up of kiddie fiddling that he doesnt like Consider

You know, I don't even blame the Chruch for that, because that happens in college showers, too. What I can't stand is that they have made themselves the authority over what is a sin and what isn't a sin. And their smug attitude about it makes me want to feed them to a lion.

(12-12-2012 04:11 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I'm jealous. Egor gets all this attention for being inconsistent and flip-flopping his beliefs repeatedly. I want some of that mojo. I think I'll flip-flop to theism for a while. Maybe Catholicism, just to piss Egor off.

It wouldn't work, because I'm the real deal. You'd just be faking--a big tourist.
Soooo many I know are big tourists, and they make a lot of money by being a tourist within religion.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-12-2012, 06:07 PM
(12-12-2012 12:52 PM)Egor Wrote:  However, that's still not a good reason to be an atheist. Atheism is still a fallacy. God exists in spite of the Catholic Church.
*sigh* Do you learn anything from these conversations?

Atheism is not "a fallacy". A fallacy has to be made in an argument. Arguments are made in support of atheism, but atheism itself is not an argument. Calling atheism a fallacy like calling a person a fallacy... it just doesn't make sense.

Even though I'd love to agree with you about the Catholic Church, that's my bias talking. You're stereotyping all Catholics based on your experience with them. There are rational Catholics, just as there are rational atheists and rational... whatever religion you are -- not you specifically, but within your religion there may be rational people.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post
12-12-2012, 06:35 PM
(12-12-2012 06:07 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  Atheism is not "a fallacy". A fallacy has to be made in an argument. Arguments are made in support of atheism, but atheism itself is not an argument. Calling atheism a fallacy like calling a person a fallacy... it just doesn't make sense.

Hmmm, I can think of one person on this thread who is rather phallusy. Does that count? Consider

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I argued on Catholic Forums for about a week.

There are like, three guys on there who aren't frothing lunatics, and they're quite fun to spar with. The rest... For fuck's sake.

I also got infracted for taking the lord's name in vain because I said "Jesus Christ on a bike". I wonder if that mod might have flipped his shit entirely had he seen me post, "Fortunately there's no hell and no Jesus to damn her to it."

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
12-12-2012, 08:53 PM
That “chemical reactions occur in the same way every time” and “the laws of physics do not erode over time” merely indicate these things are both testable and repeatable. Scientific theories are validated in part by incorporating this information. Spirituality (including gods) is not something that can be scientifically tested because it is not quantifiable or repeatable. One cannot measure the density of faith or have miracles performed with consistency. The argument can also be made then that one cannot scientifically disprove spirituality or gods. Granted. However, just because I cannot disprove the Tooth Fairy, that is not proof of her existence.

,,,^..^,,,~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes wldstrwlf's post