A Taiwanese FB thread about religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 01:54 PM by Jedah.)
A Taiwanese FB thread about religion
I was trying to convince my friend on a FB thread to throw away a Chinese version "The Book of Mormon". She is not a believer, but somehow kinda anxious about throwing away any religious "classics". What happened next was some theists angered by my "opinions" about religion and tried to fight back. Original texts are all Chinese ,but I tried to translate in English. They didn't give much complex arguments so I guess my translation should be very close to what they said.

T (my friend): Should I donate this book to somewhere?

Me: Base on my understanding about this book, I would say that burn it might help more people.

T: Although I am not a believer, I just feel that destroy a religious classics might bring some bad luck. Pure superstitious.

Me: Well...it's a cult, not a religion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

P (unknown position): Did this church hurt you in someway? Why you criticize it so harshly? This is a free society. No matter in Canada, Taiwan, Australia, anywhere! Since you have stayed in different country, you should open your mind embrace different race, culture, religion, not judge waywardly!

Z (a Mormon): I would like to ask you a few questions-
1. What's your defination to cult?
2. What's your defination to religion?
I dont understand why you speak like this. Perhaps some missionaries' "individual act" made you feel uncomfortable or you get some false information from internet. Do you even realize the teaching of Mormonism? You dont have to answer these, but I hope you can respect every religions.

Me: 1. How many of you at least read your religious "classics" cover to cover at least once?
2. If we can criticize a government or political party, why religious organization should be an exception?3. I dont have problem with people who believe in religion. It's the religion itself I have problem with. Maybe you should turn to Comedy Central channel to see how they mock religions. It's called "freedom of speech".
4. I suggest you at least watching the video I posted b4 discussion. Not simply accusing me for not respect of religions.
5. Talk about respect: Islam & Judalism both deny divinity of Jesus. I & J & Christianity all thought that Mormonism is heresy. hmmmm...

A (Christian): self-righteous

Me: Well, you should at least do some homework before you accuse someone who is more knowledgeable than you.

A random troll: He is king of bullshit.

A: Are you a member of Church? Do you even understand bible's teaching?

Me: Luckly I am not. To acquire knowledge all you have to do is to read some books, not join a religion. You will be surprised how many Christians dont even read bible.

A: You read the bible and dunno God's teaching? Dont you know God teach us to respect other religions?

Me: LoL... meh....Do you know what in the bible are completly opposite ways? commandment 1. I am the Lord thy God. commandment 2. Thou shalt have no other gods. commandment 3. No graven images or likenesses.
In addition, I can hardly accept a book that promotes slavery to be a guide of morality. I sincerely suggest you read "your god's words" again before making your argument.

A: STOP ARGUING! You are all right, OK?! (In Chinese expression, it's more like "I am sicked of it.")

Me: What I said was right or wrong to you is not important. Since you call yourself a believer, why you know so less about your own religion? At least read the "classic" once, maybe?
Also, I would like to ask you: how much respect could a religion that clearly told you the non-believer will burn eternally in the lake of fire (Revelation 21:8) pay to others?
Think about it.

A: I know what is right. Dont you think you know more than us. Please respect our beliefs, thank you.

(P.S. I totally welcome grammar nazis to help me improve my English writing)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Taiwanese FB thread about religion - Jedah - 28-12-2012 01:49 PM