A Taiwanese FB thread about religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2012, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 01:54 PM by Jedah.)
A Taiwanese FB thread about religion
I was trying to convince my friend on a FB thread to throw away a Chinese version "The Book of Mormon". She is not a believer, but somehow kinda anxious about throwing away any religious "classics". What happened next was some theists angered by my "opinions" about religion and tried to fight back. Original texts are all Chinese ,but I tried to translate in English. They didn't give much complex arguments so I guess my translation should be very close to what they said.

T (my friend): Should I donate this book to somewhere?

Me: Base on my understanding about this book, I would say that burn it might help more people.

T: Although I am not a believer, I just feel that destroy a religious classics might bring some bad luck. Pure superstitious.

Me: Well...it's a cult, not a religion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

P (unknown position): Did this church hurt you in someway? Why you criticize it so harshly? This is a free society. No matter in Canada, Taiwan, Australia, anywhere! Since you have stayed in different country, you should open your mind embrace different race, culture, religion, not judge waywardly!

Z (a Mormon): I would like to ask you a few questions-
1. What's your defination to cult?
2. What's your defination to religion?
I dont understand why you speak like this. Perhaps some missionaries' "individual act" made you feel uncomfortable or you get some false information from internet. Do you even realize the teaching of Mormonism? You dont have to answer these, but I hope you can respect every religions.

Me: 1. How many of you at least read your religious "classics" cover to cover at least once?
2. If we can criticize a government or political party, why religious organization should be an exception?3. I dont have problem with people who believe in religion. It's the religion itself I have problem with. Maybe you should turn to Comedy Central channel to see how they mock religions. It's called "freedom of speech".
4. I suggest you at least watching the video I posted b4 discussion. Not simply accusing me for not respect of religions.
5. Talk about respect: Islam & Judalism both deny divinity of Jesus. I & J & Christianity all thought that Mormonism is heresy. hmmmm...

A (Christian): self-righteous

Me: Well, you should at least do some homework before you accuse someone who is more knowledgeable than you.

A random troll: He is king of bullshit.

A: Are you a member of Church? Do you even understand bible's teaching?

Me: Luckly I am not. To acquire knowledge all you have to do is to read some books, not join a religion. You will be surprised how many Christians dont even read bible.

A: You read the bible and dunno God's teaching? Dont you know God teach us to respect other religions?

Me: LoL... meh....Do you know what in the bible are completly opposite ways? commandment 1. I am the Lord thy God. commandment 2. Thou shalt have no other gods. commandment 3. No graven images or likenesses.
In addition, I can hardly accept a book that promotes slavery to be a guide of morality. I sincerely suggest you read "your god's words" again before making your argument.

A: STOP ARGUING! You are all right, OK?! (In Chinese expression, it's more like "I am sicked of it.")

Me: What I said was right or wrong to you is not important. Since you call yourself a believer, why you know so less about your own religion? At least read the "classic" once, maybe?
Also, I would like to ask you: how much respect could a religion that clearly told you the non-believer will burn eternally in the lake of fire (Revelation 21:8) pay to others?
Think about it.

A: I know what is right. Dont you think you know more than us. Please respect our beliefs, thank you.

(P.S. I totally welcome grammar nazis to help me improve my English writing)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2012, 01:56 PM
RE: A Taiwanese FB thread about religion
"Respect our beliefs" = Stop disagreeing with me

Although you were being the aggressor to an extent. I think the book burning comment was a little out of line.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
28-12-2012, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 05:55 PM by Jedah.)
(28-12-2012 01:56 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  "Respect our beliefs" = Stop disagreeing with me

Although you were being the aggressor to an extent. I think the book burning comment was a little out of line.

I admit that part was kinda over.

We (Chinese/Taiwanese) have a polytheistic tradition & custom. To most people the Christianity is simply from multi idols to one. Also, there is an old Chinese idiom (寧可信其有, 不可信其無; Better believe than sorry) which actually support superstitious beliefs and is generally accepted by mass. It's not hard to convert my people with any religious ideas.
Comparing with US, atheism movement has a totally different degree of difficulty to move forward in my country.

- Oscar Wilde
28-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Oh man, more victims of Pascal's Wager, it would appear. So whoever can create the worst hell imaginable gains the worship of these folks? Sad. As for burning books, I find that as objectionable as burning flags, and that would be: barely. We're at a time where anything that's made print is likely digital for all to read anywhere with electricity. As such, burning a Book of Mormon would only be an expression of distaste, and not persecution, as it would have been 50 years ago. Also, anywhere where there IS no power, promotion of superstition would only hinder advancement, as seen in Africa thanks to the Vatican.
[+] 1 user Likes otakursed's post
28-12-2012, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2012 10:31 PM by Vosur.)
(28-12-2012 01:49 PM)Jedah Wrote:  (P.S. I totally welcome grammar nazis to help me improve my English writing)
Gladly.

(28-12-2012 01:49 PM)Jedah Wrote:  I was trying to convince my friend on a FB thread to throw away a the Chinese version of "The Book of Mormon" on a FB thread. Even though she is not a believer, but she is somehow kinda anxious about throwing away any religious "classics". What happened next was that a bunch of theists who had been angered with my by my "opinions" about religion and tried to fight back. Because the original texts are all written in Chinese, but I had tried to translate them into English. They didn't give much make any complex arguments, so I guess which is why my translation should be very close to what they said. the original version.

T (my friend): Should I donate this book some place to somewhere?

Me: Based on my understanding about of this book, I would say that burning it might help more people.

T: Although I am not a believer, I just feel think that destroying a religious classics might bring some bad luck. Pure superstitious superstition.

Me: Well, it's a cult, not a religion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

P (unknown position): Did this church somehow hurt you in someway? Why do you criticize it so harshly? This is a free society. No It doesn't matter where you are, whether you are matter in Canada, Taiwan or Australia, free societies exist anywhere everywhere! Since you have stayed in a different country, you Considering that you've been living in a completely different country, you should open your mind and embrace different races, cultures and religions instead of not judge judging waywardly!

Z (a Mormon): I would like to ask you a few questions:
1. What's your defination to definition of cult?
2. What's your defination to definition of religion?
I don't understand why you speak like this. Perhaps the some missionaries' "individual acts" of some missionaries made you feel uncomfortable or maybe it is because you received you get some false information from the Internet. Do you even realize know the teachings of Mormonism? You don't have to answer these questions, but I still hope that you can respect every religion.

Me: 1. How many of you at least have read your religious "classics" from cover to cover at least once?
2. If We can criticize a governments or and a political parties, why should religious organizations should be an exception?
3. I don't have problem with people who believe in religion. It's the religion itself that I have a problem with. Maybe you should turn switch to the Comedy Central channel to see how they people mock religions. It's called "freedom of speech".
4. I suggest you to at least watching the video I posted b4 before the discussion, instead of Not simply accusing me for of lacking respect for not respect of religions.
5. Talking about respect, Islam & Judaism both deny the divinity of Jesus. Adherents of I & J & Christianity all thought think that Mormonism is heresy. Hmmmm...

A (Christian): Self-righteous.

Me: Well, you should at least do some homework before you accuse someone who is more knowledgeable than you.

A random troll: He is the king of bullshit.

A: Are you a member of the Church? Do you even understand the Bible's teachings?

Me: Luckily I am not. To In order to acquire knowledge, all you have to do is reading some books; you do not need to join a religion. You will would be surprised if you knew how many Christians don't even read the Bible.

A: You have read the Bible and dunno still don't know God's teachings? Don't you know that God teach taught us to respect other religions?

Me: LoL... meh....Do you know what in the bible are completly opposite ways that the Bible actually says the exact opposite?

Commandment 1: I am the Lord, thy God.
Commandment 2: Thou shalt have no other gods.
Commandment 3: No graven images or likenesses.

In addition, Additionally I can hardly accept a book that promotes slavery to be as a guide of for morality. I sincerely suggest you to read "your god's words" again before making your argument. you begin an argument about it.

A: STOP ARGUING! You are all right, OK?! (In Chinese expression, it's more like "I am sicked of it.")

Me: What I said was right or wrong to you is not important. The validity of my words is not important to you. Since you call yourself a believer, why do you know so less little about your own religion? Maybe you should At least read the "classic" at least once maybe?
Also, I would like to ask you how much respect you could possibly respect a religion that clearly told says that you, a the non-believer, will burn eternally in the lake of fire (Revelation 21:8). pay to others?
Think about it.

A: I know what is right. Don't you think you know more than us. Please respect our beliefs, thank you.
The underlined parts are my addition while the words that have been crossed out were used by you.

[Image: Grammatik_macht_frei.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-12-2012, 10:32 PM
(28-12-2012 10:26 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-12-2012 01:49 PM)Jedah Wrote:  (P.S. I totally welcome grammar nazis to help me improve my English writing)
Gladly.

Man~
I can't thank you more. (Is this the correct expression of "Thank you so much"?)
Bowing Bowing Bowing Bowing

- Oscar Wilde
28-12-2012, 10:51 PM
(28-12-2012 10:32 PM)Jedah Wrote:  Man~
I can't thank you more. (Is this the correct expression of "Thank you so much"?)
Bowing Bowing Bowing Bowing
No problem. And yes, that's a valid way of expressing gratitude, although it is an unusual wording. Check out this article for more information.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
28-12-2012, 11:30 PM
I may get a lot of flame because of this but here it goes anyways.

I don't see ANYTHING wrong with burning holy books by individuals. I think that most of those books have poisoned and continue to poison humanity. They are a royal middle finger to the human spirit. They infect us. They tell us that we can't have meaningful moral lives without a form of superstition. The main reason they have survived for so long is the social taboo against criticizing/mocking them. I think it is time to break this taboo, or "break the spell" as Dan Dennett said.

Mockery of religion is very important. As Christopher Hitchens said, "humans begin to emancipate when they can laugh at the authority". By burning any of the magic spell-books that the religious faitheads consider "divine" we demonstrate that, in essence, they are just pieces of paper with ink.

Don't get me wrong. I am not supporting censorship. While I think that demystifying holy books is important at an individual level, when a government does it the story is different. Then it becomes censorship, and that is a completely different story. Burning holy books shouldn't be an excuse for infringing on private property either. Burning another person's book is still theft.

Burn the book of Mormon. Burn the Bible. Burn the Quran. Burn the Torah.

The professional liars that wrote those jokes have been putting us down for too long. Those ideas plan to destroy our self-esteem and then offer us to rebuild them around their bullshit. They try to take all the pleasures of life away from ourselves. They make us ashamed of our nature. They treat us with hatred and contempt. I think its time to give the religious a taste of their own medicine.

Antitheist - Tooth Fairy Agnostic - Rationalist - Humanist - Individualist - Libertarian Minarchist

[Image: dsotm1.png]
[+] 2 users Like GodlessnFree's post
28-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Burning books is like burning bras. After the adrenaline rush of the symbolic moment has died down all you're left with is a pile of ashes and unsupported boobs.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
28-12-2012, 11:59 PM
Hey they need to hush, some people need firewood.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Christianity is a Secularist religion. Deltabravo 21 339 21-07-2014 07:27 AM
Last Post: Ace
  The "need" for religion. john2 18 270 12-07-2014 11:33 AM
Last Post: childeye
  Is it wrong to hate religion? CleverUsername 66 1,145 07-07-2014 02:29 PM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  Is Christianity really a monotheistic religion according to the Bible? Lunda 8 151 06-07-2014 06:34 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Religion flowchart? smileXsmileXsmile 7 260 04-07-2014 12:48 AM
Last Post: elraymonds
  The Worst Religion is Islam? Dark Light 54 889 28-06-2014 11:57 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Religion without supernatural phenomena flim-flam 43 554 25-06-2014 11:56 AM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird