A Term Paper on Creationism. Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 02:11 PM
A Term Paper on Creationism. Help?
I'm taking a World Religions class, and I'm currently working on a term paper about Creationism (specifically why some Christians endorse it). I'm kind of stumped. The paper is supposed to be at least four pages long, and I only have one and a half. One paragraph is about Pope Francis recently reiterating the Vatican's stance on evolution, the consecutive one talks about a 2014 Gallup poll, and the third focuses on American young earth creationist John D. Morris's input. I don't know what else to write about. I'd interview a creationist, but I...don't know any. Not anymore. I had to rely solely on Google, and even then, I can't find anything remotely intelligent to write about. I don't want to bash Creationism too much in my paper, but it's really, really hard not to.

I spent three, long, horrible years in an evangelical school who taught young earth creationism in the place of science, and I still can't think of anything nice to say. And I have writer's block. Whoop-dee-doo.

Is there anything I should mention in my paper?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: A Term Paper on Creationism. Help?
(21-11-2014 02:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  I'm taking a World Religions class, and I'm currently working on a term paper about Creationism (specifically why some Christians endorse it). I'm kind of stumped. The paper is supposed to be at least four pages long, and I only have one and a half. One paragraph is about Pope Francis recently reiterating the Vatican's stance on evolution, the consecutive one talks about a 2014 Gallup poll, and the third focuses on American young earth creationist John D. Morris's input. I don't know what else to write about. I'd interview a creationist, but I...don't know any. Not anymore. I had to rely solely on Google, and even then, I can't find anything remotely intelligent to write about. I don't want to bash Creationism too much in my paper, but it's really, really hard not to.

I spent three, long, horrible years in an evangelical school who taught young earth creationism in the place of science, and I still can't think of anything nice to say. And I have writer's block. Whoop-dee-doo.

Is there anything I should mention in my paper?

Why would you not bash the crap out of it?
[+] 6 users Like Rik's post
21-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Like all papers and essays, you need to first figure out what you want to say. What is the story or message that you are wanting to weave? What is the question that you are trying to answer? What aspect of creationism do you want to tackle?

For example. How people will fool themselves in spite of all the available evidence to the contrary. Do monotheistic religions require a creation myth or is it just a left-over from an age when science did not exist to present any other explanations? Can religion survive without a creation myth or do naturalistic explanations remove the bottom card from the whole house of cards?
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
21-11-2014, 03:13 PM
I'd be more than happy to explain why I started out as a creationist and how I kept doubts at bay for much of my adult life. If you want to use me as an "interview" subject, send me a DM and I'll tell you my name.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
21-11-2014, 03:25 PM
(21-11-2014 03:06 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Like all papers and essays, you need to first figure out what you want to say. What is the story or message that you are wanting to weave? What is the question that you are trying to answer? What aspect of creationism do you want to tackle?

For example. How people will fool themselves in spite of all the available evidence to the contrary. Do monotheistic religions require a creation myth or is it just a left-over from an age when science did not exist to present any other explanations? Can religion survive without a creation myth or do naturalistic explanations remove the bottom card from the whole house of cards?

This is what I was thinking. Maybe with these sort of"topics" in mind, you can at least use morspace. Use at least a paragraph to explain what the creation myth and follow it with a few paragraphs to explains how modern science has proven it wrong. Then you can use what you already has as points of concern and perhaps even bring in research that shows how we, as a "Christian" nation are behind more secular nations like Japan to help show said concern.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
21-11-2014, 03:25 PM
To answer your question more directly:

I was a creationist because I was taught from a very early age that the Bible was the truth and that Genesis was history. I went through most of my childhood never even questioning it. It wasn't until I was in high school that I started learning about evolution, and when I did, my first response was resistance.

Religious groups that teach Young Earth Creationism go to great lengths to defend their beliefs. They recognize the teaching of evolution as a direct threat to the integrity of the Bible. If Genesis is a myth, they reason, all of it is a myth. Unwilling to declare the whole Bible a myth, they declare it all to be truth -- from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.

We all have different ways of dealing with the problems that arise. First, I immersed myself in the arguments against evolution before I even knew what evolution really was. I studied evolution -- not to learn about it, but to nitpick it to death.

Increasingly, as a creationist, I took on the position of harmonization -- the notion that, properly understood, science and scripture would always be in harmony. In practice, this meant cherry-picking those aspects of science that did the lease damage to my faith in creation (microevolution, for example) while ignoring or flat out denying anything that made belief in Genesis untenable (macroevolution and speciation, for example).

As long as the cognitive dissonance CAN be maintained, it WILL be maintained. If someone has no reason to shift views, it would be very difficult to do so.

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 2 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
21-11-2014, 03:49 PM
(21-11-2014 03:25 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  To answer your question more directly:

I was a creationist because I was taught from a very early age that the Bible was the truth and that Genesis was history. I went through most of my childhood never even questioning it. It wasn't until I was in high school that I started learning about evolution, and when I did, my first response was resistance.

Religious groups that teach Young Earth Creationism go to great lengths to defend their beliefs. They recognize the teaching of evolution as a direct threat to the integrity of the Bible. If Genesis is a myth, they reason, all of it is a myth. Unwilling to declare the whole Bible a myth, they declare it all to be truth -- from Genesis 1:1 to Revelation 22:21.

We all have different ways of dealing with the problems that arise. First, I immersed myself in the arguments against evolution before I even knew what evolution really was. I studied evolution -- not to learn about it, but to nitpick it to death.

Increasingly, as a creationist, I took on the position of harmonization -- the notion that, properly understood, science and scripture would always be in harmony. In practice, this meant cherry-picking those aspects of science that did the lease damage to my faith in creation (microevolution, for example) while ignoring or flat out denying anything that made belief in Genesis untenable (macroevolution and speciation, for example).

As long as the cognitive dissonance CAN be maintained, it WILL be maintained. If someone has no reason to shift views, it would be very difficult to do so.

You should be able to do four pages on that ^ - just expand the details.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-11-2014, 03:55 PM
(21-11-2014 02:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  I had to rely solely on Google, and even then, I can't find anything remotely intelligent to write about. I don't want to bash Creationism too much in my paper, but it's really, really hard not to.

Go ahead and bash away.

If you didn't find these via google, check them out
http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/list.html
http://wiki.ironchariots.org/index.php?t...reationism

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
21-11-2014, 11:36 PM
Maybe watch some creationist videos on YouTube. It will remind you of the bullshit you hated, and why it's so idiotic. You can debunk some of the crap about the Great Flood, and the Grand Canyon, and the Garden of Eden, etc etc etc.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
21-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Sorry for the belated reply. I had work. :c

@ Mathilda

The thesis for my term paper is essentially why 1/4 of Christians in America endorse young earth creationism (gap creationism, progressive creationism, intelligent design, and theistic evolution aren't as controversial + whenever creationism is mentioned, young earth creationism is probably the first thing that comes to our minds). I guess what I really wanted to do was provide a mostly non-biased (we are encouraged to take a stance) account of creationism's pros and cons.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm definitely going to use them in my paper. The importance of the creation myth may be the very reason why creationists loathe evolution so much.

---

(21-11-2014 03:25 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Religious groups that teach Young Earth Creationism go to great lengths to defend their beliefs.

They sure do...

Very insightful. It's been six years since I was expelled from that evangelical school, so...some things escaped me. I do recall harmonization, but I didn't think of the ripple effect:
Quote:If Genesis is a myth, they reason, all of it is a myth. Unwilling to declare the whole Bible a myth, they declare it all to be truth.
Ironically, there's still a lot of 'cherry picking'.

---

Thank you all for your awesome replies. I think I have enough ideas to complete my term paper, and I'm very grateful for that. ^^