A Term Paper on Creationism. Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 11:54 PM
RE: A Term Paper on Creationism. Help?
Why not expand on the history of creationism? The court cases? The Flying Spaghetti Monster and the Kansas board?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
22-11-2014, 12:01 AM
(21-11-2014 02:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  Is there anything I should mention in my paper?
Try this http://ncse.com/creationism/general/wedge-document

Below are quotes from the wedge.

This is the text of the Discovery Institute's "Wedge Document," prepared in 1998. It lays out "the Wedge strategy" by which the newly-formed Center for Renewal of Science and Culture would promote "intelligent design" creationism.)

The proposition that human beings are created in the image of God is one of the bedrock principles on which Western civilization was built. Its influence can be detected in most, if not all, of the West's greatest achievements, including representative democracy, human rights, free enterprise, and progress in the arts and sciences.

Yet a little over a century ago, this cardinal idea came under wholesale attack by intellectuals drawing on the discoveries of modern science. Debunking the traditional conceptions of both God and man, thinkers such as Charles Darwin, Karl Marx, and Sigmund Freud portrayed humans not as moral and spiritual beings, but as animals or machines who inhabited a universe ruled by purely impersonal forces and whose behavior and very thoughts were dictated by the unbending forces of biology, chemistry, and environment. This materialistic conception of reality eventually infected virtually every area of our culture, from politics and economics to literature and art

FIVE YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN
Phase I is the essential component of everything that comes afterward. Without solid scholarship, research and argument, the project would be just another attempt to indoctrinate instead of persuade. A lesson we have learned from the history of science is that it is unnecessary to outnumber the opposing establishment. Scientific revolutions are usually staged by an initially small and relatively young group of scientists who are not blinded by the prevailing prejudices and who are able to do creative work at the pressure points, that is, on those critical issues upon which whole systems of thought hinge. So, in Phase I we are supporting vital writing and research at the sites most likely to crack the materialist edifice.

Bear in mind they started in 1998 with a 5 year plan. Phase 1 was to be the foundation. Phase 1 was to publish science documents regarding creationism "3. One hundred scientific, academic and technical articles by our fellows"

It is now near the end of 2014. They haven't been able to publish any peer reviewed scientific papers.

Most/all of their books are attacks on evolution, they haven't done anything in support of creationism.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
22-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-11-2014, 07:16 PM
(21-11-2014 02:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  I'm taking a World Religions class, and I'm currently working on a term paper about Creationism (specifically why some Christians endorse it). I'm kind of stumped. The paper is supposed to be at least four pages long, and I only have one and a half. One paragraph is about Pope Francis recently reiterating the Vatican's stance on evolution, the consecutive one talks about a 2014 Gallup poll, and the third focuses on American young earth creationist John D. Morris's input. I don't know what else to write about. I'd interview a creationist, but I...don't know any. Not anymore. I had to rely solely on Google, and even then, I can't find anything remotely intelligent to write about. I don't want to bash Creationism too much in my paper, but it's really, really hard not to.

I spent three, long, horrible years in an evangelical school who taught young earth creationism in the place of science, and I still can't think of anything nice to say. And I have writer's block. Whoop-dee-doo.

Is there anything I should mention in my paper?
Watch this! Watch this! Oh, yes! Watch this!

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
23-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Visit Answersingenesis. A topic will soon come to you.

(You'll have trouble limiting yourself to a mere 4 pages.)

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
24-11-2014, 11:06 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2014 11:09 AM by Im a humble little Theist.)
(21-11-2014 02:11 PM)Sloane Wrote:  I'm taking a World Religions class, and I'm currently working on a term paper about Creationism (specifically why some Christians endorse it). I'm kind of stumped. The paper is supposed to be at least four pages long, and I only have one and a half. One paragraph is about Pope Francis recently reiterating the Vatican's stance on evolution, the consecutive one talks about a 2014 Gallup poll, and the third focuses on American young earth creationist John D. Morris's input. I don't know what else to write about. I'd interview a creationist, but I...don't know any. Not anymore. I had to rely solely on Google, and even then, I can't find anything remotely intelligent to write about. I don't want to bash Creationism too much in my paper, but it's really, really hard not to.

I spent three, long, horrible years in an evangelical school who taught young earth creationism in the place of science, and I still can't think of anything nice to say. And I have writer's block. Whoop-dee-doo.

Is there anything I should mention in my paper?

Why not take it from the standpoint of which worldview/origins view is more logical based on our reality...either Atheism or Theism ? Since there are no other possibilities, why not do it by process of elimination . Heres an outline you might wish to follow :

Heres a very brief rundown of the alternative to God (personal intelligent theistic Creator) NOT existing :

1. Non material entities such as our personality, consciousness, will, emotions, love, reasoning, logic, and abstract thinking....all derived from materials (atoms) such as rocks/dirt/planets/and hydrogen gas.

2. A Universe which has a great many examples of intelligent intervention by way of the Laws of Physics and over 150 scientifically confirmed razor edge life enabling Parameters came from Nothing by Nothing for no reason whatsoever. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

3. Informational messages as found in the specified complexity of the DNA Molecule which tells a cell how to form and how micro biological systems are to be constructed...came from Nothing. They just popped into existence from nothing then proceeded to be a blue print and Builder of a complex Cell so busy and intricate that its been related to the infrastructure of a major U.S. City by Biologists (atheist and non atheist alike) .

4. There isnt a shred of purpose or reason to this life ...even though we as Human Beings contradict that every day of our live by how we live.

5. We are just a little above the animals of the Forest in value and dignity., and essentially are on the same order of importance as an earth worm. World reknown atheist zoologist Richard Dawkins said :' The human fetus has as much worth as an adult pig ' . I wonder if his Mother felt the same way about him when he was developing in her womb (?) .

6. Everything is purely accidental including morals and ethics...and it is silly to hold to such in any form and to any level. There is nothing that is absolutely and objectively wrong therefore...and it doesnt even make sense calling the extermination of 6 million Jews and Christians in Nazi Germany 'wrong' , for it is just opinion to do so if morals are accidental and there is no higher objective Moral Law Provider (God) .In fact, there is no objective reason for Mother Theresa being 'better' than Stalin or HItler.

7. Everything is utterly futile by placing any value on it, for, nothing in an accidental Universe could have any deliberate value. Therefore, we have no intrinsic value ...and we are no different than the Bird in the tree who struggles to survive in a valueLESS reality. A human baby we see arrive into the world is completely void of any value whatsoever and if it dies there should be absolutely no anquish or sorrow shed. In a futile world, there is no room for regret .

I could on..but suffice it to say that carried to the end....belief in No God (atheism) is THE most illogical unreasonable and devastating to society faith-based Religion ever to be devised by Man.
24-11-2014, 11:49 AM
(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  Why not take it from the standpoint of which worldview/origins view is more logical based on our reality...either Atheism or Theism ?

Because Reality at it's most fundamental level has been proven to NOT be what appears to be "logically intuitive" to human brains. Are Relativity, Uncertainty and the tensors of Dirac "logical" ? No.

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  Since there are no other possibilities, why not do it by process of elimination .

Wrong again. You're just too uneducated and too uncreative to know or conceive of any other.

Intelligent Design is an argument against the gods. A real omnipotent deity could have made life work no matter how anything was designed, "razor edge" or not.
There are no "informational messages in DNA. Thanks for proving you know absolutely NOTHING about Genetics. Genetics EVOLVED, and possible pathways for that are known. YOU just know nothing about them, or Chaos Theory, or Biology.
Morals and ethics EVOLVED as they promote survival. Thanks for continuing to make a fool of yourself, and demonstrate how completely ignorant and uneducated you are.

Germany was a CHRISTIAN NATION. I see your idiotic "morals from Jebus" did them a lot of good. They did the bidding of a man CHRISTIANS ELECTED.
You do know I hope that Mother Teresa said before she died SHE was an atheist.

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  I could on.

Please get the fuck lost. Your ignorance is utterly profound. Thanks for making a fool of yourself, and parroting all the crap you're been indoctrinated with. maybe when you get big and go to school, you'll learn that atheism is the ABSENCE of something, not a religion. Seeing however your level of ignorance, I hold out little hope for you.

(Freshman at Biola are you ?) LMFAO

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-11-2014, 12:05 PM
(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  2. A Universe which has a great many examples of intelligent intervention by way of the Laws of Physics and over 150 scientifically confirmed razor edge life enabling Parameters came from Nothing by Nothing for no reason whatsoever. http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/designun.html

4. There isnt a shred of purpose or reason to this life ...even though we as Human Beings contradict that every day of our live by how we live.

Don't you find your name a bit of an oxymoron if you think the universe was created with you in mind? Also, if you don't know why those 150 reasons are silly, you need to look at other references. Since I normally don't feed trolls, I'll give you that bit of kibble and then you can do back to guarding your bridge. Facepalm

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
24-11-2014, 01:31 PM
(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  4. There isnt a shred of purpose or reason to this life ...even though we as Human Beings contradict that every day of our live by how we live.

Do you believe that after several trillion years have passed in heaven (or wherever it is you think you'll go), you will remember your 70-90 years on Earth as meaningful? Tell us more about this "meaning" you believe exists outside of our subjectivity.

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  5. We are just a little above the animals of the Forest in value and dignity., and essentially are on the same order of importance as an earth worm. World reknown atheist zoologist Richard Dawkins said :' The human fetus has as much worth as an adult pig ' . I wonder if his Mother felt the same way about him when he was developing in her womb (?) .

Does The Humble Little Theist struggle with humility? The rest of the universe doesn't even know you're here. When you're gone, the party will continue on without you. You're entire argument boils down to "I don't like it!"

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  6. Everything is purely accidental including morals and ethics...and it is silly to hold to such in any form and to any level. There is nothing that is absolutely and objectively wrong therefore...and it doesnt even make sense calling the extermination of 6 million Jews and Christians in Nazi Germany 'wrong' , for it is just opinion to do so if morals are accidental and there is no higher objective Moral Law Provider (God) .In fact, there is no objective reason for Mother Theresa being 'better' than Stalin or HItler.

Christianity didn't stop WWII, so no, there was apparently nothing objectively wrong with it.

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  7. Everything is utterly futile by placing any value on it, for, nothing in an accidental Universe could have any deliberate value. Therefore, we have no intrinsic value ...and we are no different than the Bird in the tree who struggles to survive in a valueLESS reality. A human baby we see arrive into the world is completely void of any value whatsoever and if it dies there should be absolutely no anquish or sorrow shed. In a futile world, there is no room for regret .

Your family photos are worthless to me. They're not worthless to you. That's called subjectivity. Deal with it.

(24-11-2014 11:06 AM)Im a humble little Theist Wrote:  I could on..but suffice it to say that carried to the end....belief in No God (atheism) is THE most illogical unreasonable and devastating to society faith-based Religion ever to be devised by Man.

You mad, bro?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
24-11-2014, 04:40 PM
(24-11-2014 11:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Are Relativity, Uncertainty and the tensors of Dirac "logical" ? No.
Interesting viewpoint. As a physicist I would say that Relativity, Uncertainty and the tensors of Dirac are eminently logical. But they are not intuitive. You cannot discover them without logic.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post