A Terribly Terrifying 'What if?' Concerning the Afterlife

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2013, 04:18 PM
RE: A Terribly Terrifying 'What if?' Concerning the Afterlife
It's not a wonderful fuzzy feeling, but I think the good things in life would make it worth living on repeat - especially when compared to the biblical hell. We're surrounded by loved ones on a beautiful planet in a wondrous universe with the opportunity to help people and enjoy all life has to offer. The alternative is being pelted with acid rain, tortured, alone, etc etc. I'll take life. Thumbsup

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ohio Sky's post
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
No there's nothing scary here at all. The key is what you said here:

(03-10-2013 01:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  We forget everything when we die and cycle back over again.

So every moment of every subsequent repeat life would seem brand new. An hour from now you will do something for the first time. (Even if it's something you've done a thousands times like eating, this time slightly differs from all previous.) As you do this activity, every detail of every moment will be new. If you've already experienced it a million times before, you don't remember it, therefore that scary repetitious hell is non-existent.

In Groundhog Day , Bill's character was fully aware of the repetition. He knew the details of each moment before they occurred. This would be the scary hell of which you speak.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
03-10-2013, 04:44 PM
That grand old atheist Neitzsche had a similar notion; he called it 'eternal
re-occurence'. I think he largely based it on some astronomy concepts he had considered.
03-10-2013, 04:49 PM
(03-10-2013 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 01:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  We are all re-living the same life over and over again. Nothing changes. We forget everything when we die and cycle back over again. What a terrible thought. I imagine this would be a comfortable possibility for some. Personally, I think I'd rather vanish into nothingness, never to be seen again. That seems a little scary itself, but a life on repeat, that scares me to my core.

Nah, amor fati, brother amor fati. They're both the same. Both demand sucking the marrow out of each moment.

My French is shit but...love [the] fate? Is that right?

The issue is, were it to be true, either the universe or on a smaller scale, not matter what attitude I having about sucking the marrow out of each moment, I have already done so and will continue to do so ad infintum.

edit: Proving how bad my French is, I looked it up. Turns out it's Latin. Still got the translation right though Tongue

03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised to learn I hadn't read this of Nietzsche. Also, kinda surprised he also considered such a fate.

03-10-2013, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2013 06:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-10-2013 04:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 04:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nah, amor fati, brother amor fati. They're both the same. Both demand sucking the marrow out of each moment.

My French is shit but...love [the] fate? Is that right?

The issue is, were it to be true, either the universe or on a smaller scale, not matter what attitude I having about sucking the marrow out of each moment, I have already done so and will continue to do so ad infintum.

edit: Proving how bad my French is, I looked it up. Turns out it's Latin. Still got the translation right though Tongue

Why people no follow my links. I make it blue so you will click it. Weeping

My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it—all idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary—but love it.

... I make it blue so you will click it. Weeping

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
There is no point in even fretting about either of the possibilities listed. Whatever happens, as far as we know, you only get one life. Whether it be a reoccurring one that wipes your memory, or you "fall into the abyss" forever when you die.

Humans being as frail and weak, in both mind and body, as we are, it will probably take several millennium at least before we start to crack into the question of "the afterlife" if we even get there at all. A LOT of things need to be worked out between now and then, so in closing I wouldn't worry about if you have done what you are doing now in another life, as long as it is the most rational choice and it makes you happy.

Btw, I really doubt being nonexistent is very scary. It is probably really quite relaxing.

[Image: g-HitchensThinkSelf.gif]
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
(03-10-2013 06:36 PM)elegant_atheist Wrote:  Btw, I really doubt being nonexistent is very scary. It is probably really quite relaxing.

Sensory deprivation tanks look like potential training gear.
. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't mind living my life all over again.

I always say: "If your life is going to flash in front of your eyes as you die, you better make sure it's worth watching."

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Not the worst thing I could think of. I'm not scared of death, but I'm sad not to live more. I love being the part of this place that is conscious, feels good in my earthly body to feel this way. Shy