A Textbook Example of Why Religion is Dangerous

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2013, 10:59 AM
A Textbook Example of Why Religion is Dangerous
“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. And they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

- Deuteronomy 21:18-21

It's happening for real right here in the US, people.

http://www.examiner.com/article/christia...h-of-child

A Washington state couple has been sentenced to decades in prison for the beating and starvation death of their child based on biblical parenting techniques.

Superior Court Judge Susan Cook showed no mercy to Larry and Carri Williams, found guilty of causing the tragic death of their adopted daughter, Hana, by using Biblical based parenting techniques found in the controversial child-rearing book, To Train up a Child, by Michael and Debi Pearl.

Cook sentenced Carri Williams to 37 years in prison. Her husband Larry, convicted of lesser charges, was sentenced to just under 28 years. Both terms are well above the standard sentencing range.

Cook said, “I feel the punishment should match the outrage felt by this community. I am at a complete loss. I think at some point in this trial each and every one of us sat stunned and speechless without the slightest hope of making any sense of this whatsoever.”

Hana’s death was consistent with a corporal punishment style advocated by many Christian extremists, and memorialized in the controversial book, To Train Up A Child. According to reports, Hana was beaten and starved as part of a regimen of corporal punishment subscribed to by many Christian homeschoolers and other Christian fundamentalists.

The New York Times reports that the couple's abusive parenting tactics mimicked instructions from the Christian parenting book. Evidence presented at trial indicated Carri Williams had repeatedly beaten Hana with a plastic tube - a device recommended in the book.

To Train Up A Child advocates using a plumbing tool to beat children with starting at age one. The book also advocates giving children cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather, and forcing them to miss meals, as well as beating them; all of which exemplifies the abuse investigators said Hana endured.

The book is also linked to the deaths of at least two other children, four-year-old Sean Paddock of North Carolina and seven year-old Lydia Schatz of California. In each case, punishment techniques advocated by the controversial Christian parenting manual were used.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
RE: A Textbook Example of Why Religion is Dangerous
Oh the Pearls....they're as freaky as those Westborogh baptist lot.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

03-11-2013, 01:28 PM
(03-11-2013 12:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh the Pearls....they're as freaky as those Westborogh baptist lot.

No, they are far far worse. WBC are just brushed off as crazy, People actually listen to the Pearls (for some reason) this is nowhere near the first instance of their book causing death or disfigurement to a child.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
That book is a terrorist manual and the Pearls need to be arrested for the vile it contains and spreads

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Never heard of these folks before, but yikes. Looks like they have several skeletons in their closet...

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/the-abus...debi-pearl

See what you miss when you've been out of the church for several years?
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Have you read the book? It is a completely heartbreaking instruction manual on how to beak the will of a child. I read a blog by a woman whose parents were friends of the Pearls. She still struggles as an adult. Their parenting techniques are disturbing to say the least. I wonder how many children have to die before there is an outrage and something is done to stop them.
03-11-2013, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 01:42 PM by Losty.)
(03-11-2013 01:36 PM)Chopdoc Wrote:  Never heard of these folks before, but yikes. Looks like they have several skeletons in their closet...

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/the-abus...debi-pearl

See what you miss when you've been out of the church for several years?

I think this is the blog, I posted too late haha

(*edit: nope not the same one. I will have to find the one I read and post it)
03-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Can they (the Pearls) be held responsible for the results of their "advice?" Any lawyers out there?
03-11-2013, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 01:49 PM by sporehux.)
I used to believe in hitting as a kid, was told i deserved it , then scaled back to slapping was ok, then only wrist spanking.
after i became a dad, i thought a tap on the wrist is ok, i was always told "spare the rod spoil the child".

My daughter got mean to the cat so i slapped her hand as normal christian morals taught this was the correct way to handle the situation.
Felt so sick at the look of betrayal on her face i nearly vomited. never hit again, so many other ways to discipline, now that they are older i can have dinner with them as a dad and not the callus asshole their grand father is to me (too bad i'm not christian, no forgiving).

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
(03-11-2013 01:44 PM)Chopdoc Wrote:  Can they (the Pearls) be held responsible for the results of their "advice?" Any lawyers out there?

No they aren't responsible perhaps in a civil suit bit criminally it's a slipperly slope. People can try to assign blame, but ultimately the blame lies on those who abused their children and not the ones simply writing about it.

No more than Ozzy Osbourne or Judas Priest be responsible for suicides.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post