A "Thank You"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-09-2010, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2010 08:18 PM by ebilekittae.)
A "Thank You"
Hey guys!

I wanted to thank all of you for your support and for your community. Even if you weren't trying for it, this forum has helped me cope with something that drives me insane. Before coming here, I didn't have any atheist friends to mention, so coming out to my family was hard since I had no one to relate.

I don't mean to sound pathetic or to beg for sympathy, but just today I was ranting to a friend about the frustration I was feeling towards my family's stubbornness to accept the facts, their constant excuses, and the separation I feel from my brother. Unfortunately, my friend happens to be quite the opposite of a skeptic (big on nearly every fantasy and conspiracy theory you can think of) and took offense at the end of my rant, surprising me for my lack of foresight.

You all come in at this juncture, a community where I can rant (and indeed I have ranted) and don't take offense at my unbelief. A community where I can talk about the blatant facts that have been discovered without fear of being told I'm wrong and it's wrong without any kind of evidence to support its falsity and much to support its veracity. A community that if I am wrong would point it out and correct me so I don't look like an idiot later. =P

Thanks for giving me a place where I can talk with like-minded thinkers. You guys are awesome! =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 08:07 PM
RE: A "Thank You"
I have looked at a few other Atheist sites, but I never stayed for more than one post because either the site was over-run with a bunch of beligerant theists, who tried to blast us for our stupidity or the conversations were on a childish level, usually disenchanted ex-christians who were rebelling against their religion for angst sake, and not because they actually could follow the logic that shows the idiocy of religion. This is the only board that I have liked. Even our token theist is sane and intellegent.(Still suffering some brainwashing, but most of us were there, too.)
Find all posts by this user
02-09-2010, 08:15 PM

It's really gratifying to know that we can be of help to another person. Atheists need support, too, and I've learned a lot by sharing ideas with others.

There are several sites and I recommend "American Heathen" which has a blog and a weekly Internet radio program. See: http://www.shocknetradio.com/american_heathen.html
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2010, 08:25 PM
(02-09-2010 08:07 PM)No J. Wrote:  I have looked at a few other Atheist sites, but I never stayed for more than one post because either the site was over-run with a bunch of beligerant theists, who tried to blast us for our stupidity or the conversations were on a childish level, usually disenchanted ex-christians who were rebelling against their religion for angst sake, and not because they actually could follow the logic that shows the idiocy of religion. This is the only board that I have liked. Even our token theist is sane and intellegent.(Still suffering some brainwashing, but most of us were there, too.)

I guess that's why this site is called "The Thinking Atheist". Wink I know what you mean, though. The angsty atheists are probably one of the reasons I remained a theist for so long--I would rather hold onto silliness than be associated with them. Tongue I'm glad that you like it here, too, it's good having you around! Big Grin

(02-09-2010 08:15 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  It's really gratifying to know that we can be of help to another person. Atheists need support, too, and I've learned a lot by sharing ideas with others.

There are several sites and I recommend "American Heathen" which has a blog and a weekly Internet radio program. See: http://www.shocknetradio.com/american_heathen.html

Thanks a lot! I'll set up a feed to them right away! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
02-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Speaking of podcasts..do any of you listen to TheThinkingAtheist podcasts? It's saturday mornings. In fact I'll be helping out with this saturdays. (The thinking atheist asked me to do the call screening. I actually feel kind of privledged!)

Here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%...es&h=01763

Zinnia jones is the special guest. Should be a good show.

Just visiting.

-SR
02-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the call screening thing, I would be proud myself! Big Grin I love the podcasts and was afraid it was on the first and that I missed it, especially after seeing the new video TheThinkingAtheist put up on YouTube called "Podcast #4"! =P I'm thinking about calling in, myself. Zinnia is one of my favourite atheistic YouTubers. Big Grin

02-09-2010, 08:57 PM

(02-09-2010 08:30 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Speaking of podcasts..do any of you listen to TheThinkingAtheist podcasts? It's saturday mornings. In fact I'll be helping out with this saturdays. (The thinking atheist asked me to do the call screening. I actually feel kind of privledged!)

Here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%...es&h=01763

Zinnia jones is the special guest. Should be a good show.
Thanks for the link. I'll try to tune in when I can. I'm going to be out of the country for two months, starting on this coming Saturday.
03-09-2010, 12:05 AM
(02-09-2010 08:57 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Thanks for the link. I'll try to tune in when I can. I'm going to be out of the country for two months, starting on this coming Saturday.

I hope you're going somewhere that you have access to the internet. You became a part of our strange little dysfunctional family here pretty quick. It'd suck not having you around for two months.

Just visiting.

-SR
03-09-2010, 12:46 AM
03-09-2010, 03:46 AM

(02-09-2010 08:57 PM)2buckchuck Wrote:  Thanks for the link. I'll try to tune in when I can. I'm going to be out of the country for two months, starting on this coming Saturday.

Good luck, fly safe.