A Theist's Defiance of Logic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 07:38 AM
RE: A Theist's Defiance of Logic
(12-04-2013 10:28 AM)Rebel Wrote:  
Quote:"Someone once said that if you sat a million monkeys at a million typewriters for a million years, one of them would eventually type out all of Hamlet by chance. But when we find the text of Hamlet, we don't wonder whether it came from chance and monkeys. Why then does the atheist use that incredibly improbable explanation for the universe? Clearly, because it is his only chance of remaining an atheist. At this point we need a psychological explanation of the atheist rather than a logical explanation of the universe."
- Peter Kreeft

The universe does not have a preconceived goal while the monkeys on a typewriter do. See the difference?

Lets say the million monkeys type on a million typewriters for even a few minutes. They come up with gibberish, but a very unique gibberish. Now sit those monkeys back down and see if they can reproduce, letter for letter, that same gibberish. Quite improbable. It'll be new gibberish but will not be like the first. So you can say monkeys on typewriters will type gibberish 100% of the time but it will always be unique gibberish. The instant you expect a pre-defined result is when you get the fallacy of the argument of Hamlet.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 07:46 AM
One more example

If we had evolved, say, to breathe methane, look like a slug and glow in the dark with a similar brain capacity we would be asking how the universe knew how to make us so perfectly adapted to our surroundings, it would seem improbable.

This happens when people confuse cause and effect.

It used to be that the ancient Egyptians worshipped the Crocodile god because when the crocs showed up so did the higher river levels. They attributed the higher water level to the crocs as opposed to the crocs to the higher river levels.

The rainy season would come to the source of the Nile hundreds of miles to the south, the rivers would swell, the water would rise, the crocs would swim further downstream. This was simply poor observation on incomplete information on the part of the Egyptians. The same can be said for Kreeft.

"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."- Mark Twain in Eruption
13-04-2013, 08:29 AM
What most fail to understand is that the fanatic does not have absolute faith. The fanatic is 99.9% certain. It is the failure, out of fear, to address that .1% that makes the fanatic, fanatical.

My Gwynnies told me. I had absolute faith. I had to put that shit away. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
13-04-2013, 09:08 AM
But (paraphrasing DLJ) a monkey did produce Hamlet...

OK so it took longer than a million years Dodgy
13-04-2013, 09:27 AM
"Theist" + "random" = bullshit. Random, in mathematical terms, implies that the determination of the next number of a sequence requires an infinite permutation. Evolution is about as random as me loving my Gwynnies. The "monkey" that penned Hamlet was responding to pattern recognition and pattern reinforcement. Dodgy

I hate theists. Cannot we just burn 'em at the stake?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post