"A Thief in the Night"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2013, 11:06 AM
"A Thief in the Night"
I had only vague memories about this horrifying 70's era film until reading Seth's book two nights ago. In the book, Seth writes the words of the theme song...and I spent the next 24 hours in religious trauma syndrome. My morbid curiosity couldn't be contained, and I googled the title and pulled up a couple of clips from youtube. I not only was forced to watch this film, at age 10. I was also forced two watch the following two films in the series. My limbic system has been working on overload since then. I found myself repeatedly humming the tune of the song while driving.

When googling this film, I was horrified to discover that it is still out there, traumatizing children! Since my deconversion in 2006-2007, I have taken an intellectual journey. I have been resistant to the concept of childhood indoctrination as child abuse. This brought up the rage.

I'm curious if anyone else had the misfortune of seeing this film? I think there needs to be an "MST3K" version created, anyone who does so would be my hero.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2013, 11:23 AM
RE: "A Thief in the Night"
Not that particular film, but at a young age I was forced to watch this one, which gave me nightmares.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-08-2013, 11:34 AM
Yep, that was the sequel.
18-08-2013, 11:37 AM
(18-08-2013 11:34 AM)cbenham Wrote:  Yep, that was the sequel.

Ah, I'll have to go back and watch some of the first one, maybe I did as a child. That particular scene was the one that stuck with me through the years for some reason. Good wholesome family programming! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-08-2013, 11:39 AM
There are four films:

A Thief in the Night
Image of the Beast
A Distant Thunder
The Prodigal Planet

My parents still have them on VHS. I watched these so many times...

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
18-08-2013, 11:42 AM
(18-08-2013 11:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There are four films:

A Thief in the Night
Image of the Beast
A Distant Thunder
The Prodigal Planet

My parents still have them on VHS. I watched these so many times...

Out of curiosity, what's your overall take on the series KC?

~ Umberto Eco
18-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I haven't seen any of them since my childhood. I remember running into my parent's rooms in the middle of the night though, to make sure they were still there and hadn't been "raptured." I had nightmares about guillotines in my living room. I had intrusive images of the blade falling and tried to figure out how much it might hurt, or whether I would rather lay facing up or down. I'm feeling a bit lightheaded right now just thinking about it.
18-08-2013, 01:13 PM
I saw it at a church screening as a teenager back in the 80s. It helped scare me into the faith - I think I let out the loudest scream in the sanctuary when the big stinger shot through the door and nailed the old man...
18-08-2013, 02:05 PM
(18-08-2013 11:23 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Not that particular film, but at a young age I was forced to watch this one, which gave me nightmares.

Patty is quite the screamer!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
19-08-2013, 11:27 AM
(18-08-2013 11:06 AM)cbenham Wrote:  I had only vague memories about this horrifying 70's era film until reading Seth's book two nights ago. In the book, Seth writes the words of the theme song...and I spent the next 24 hours in religious trauma syndrome. My morbid curiosity couldn't be contained, and I googled the title and pulled up a couple of clips from youtube. I not only was forced to watch this film, at age 10. I was also forced two watch the following two films in the series. My limbic system has been working on overload since then. I found myself repeatedly humming the tune of the song while driving.

When googling this film, I was horrified to discover that it is still out there, traumatizing children! Since my deconversion in 2006-2007, I have taken an intellectual journey. I have been resistant to the concept of childhood indoctrination as child abuse. This brought up the rage.

I'm curious if anyone else had the misfortune of seeing this film? I think there needs to be an "MST3K" version created, anyone who does so would be my hero.

you want to know what the definition of evil is...

evil is when you use fear to coheres a child into believing something you know you cannot convince them of based on reason or love. NO on ever that used fear to promise love was not a monster. Yes I think the church and anyone who would do this to a child is a monster.

It is no different than giving a nine year old an ak-47 and then teaching him to kill. At least for the most part in parts of the world that happens at least they are learning to defend their families and brother/sisters from something or they probably never would have had that sort of indoctrination.

Fear generally leads to hate. If you don't hate you or those like you it ends up falling on anyone and everything else. Maybe that is why so many religious people judge the rest of us with such effort.