A Thor Point With Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 02:13 PM
A Thor Point With Me
How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 02:23 PM
RE: A Thor Point With Me
Silly when taken literally, lots of fun when it is for entertainment. Magical powers and feats of strength are part of everyones cultural mythology, even the recent mythologies of super heroes rose from ancient mythologies of the past. Thor being a prime example of this. I'm not sure if a I have a pure preference to either.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
24-10-2013, 02:33 PM
I prefer films that have mystery, action and if you got some superpowers too, all the better.
I'm not looking forward to the new Thor movie. I liked the first one, but I think this one won't be as good. I didn't care for the previews.

Most of my movie collection at home and book collection have some superpowers in there somewhere.
The thing is, we don't believe these superpowered individuals are real. We see them all as works of fiction.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
24-10-2013, 02:39 PM
If its going to be fantastic... Its really gotta go all out.

If its going to be realistic... It better be accurate.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
24-10-2013, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 10:27 PM by kim.)
I'm not all that into fantasy. Even the science fiction I like is more about human beings reacting to technology and whatnot. Ray Bradbury has always been a favorite - his work is always about the human being.

I suppose the Thor pic will be ok. I didn't see the 1st one so I don't have a reference. Although... I did like the Avengers and Iron Man flics so, I guess it will be ok if those production values are upheld.

And if they keep Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. Blush

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
24-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Sci-fi all the way. It walks a fine line between possible and impossible. I'll watch Alien and Aliens until my eyes bleed.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
[+] 1 user Likes guitar_nut's post
24-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Everyone loves a little magic, though we like different kinds of magic. Reality can be fun, but we can always imagine something more fun. That's what people love about superheroes, aliens, and wizards; the stories are like those found in reality, but spiced up. Why have Britain fighting Nazi Germany (which has been done thousands of times in film and literature) when you can have Asgard fighting dark elves? Similar story, but more exciting to the average person, because magic supermen!

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
24-10-2013, 02:55 PM
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

Thanks.

I usually just laugh when I talk to people who believe in super powers (because they're my children hehehe)
I like movies with magic and super powers but not Thor. Ick
Give me Harry Potter Smile
24-10-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm all Thor it.

The closest to the "God of tits and wine" there is Smile

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
24-10-2013, 03:10 PM
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure it's really annoying for theists to be constantly reminded how ridiculous it is to posit super-powers in other gods which have as much evidence for them as their own mythical beings.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post