A Thor Point With Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2013, 03:12 PM
RE: A Thor Point With Me
(24-10-2013 03:04 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm all Thor it.

The closest to the "God of tits and wine" there is Smile

.... wouldn't that be Dionysus?

As for the presence of gods in entertainment media, I'd say that a not-too-intelligent, fantastic romp that is expected to entertain for a few hours but has the same enlightenment content as the popcorn you eat while watching it has nutritional content, is exactly where gods and magic and so forth belong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-10-2013, 03:12 PM
http://instituteofbiblicaldefense.com/20...-atheists/
"Like a gay pride parade, these hedonistic atheists revel in their shame like a pig wallows in its own muddy filth."

some messed up shit on the mind of this theist, racist ignorant fucktard.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
25-10-2013, 10:00 AM
(24-10-2013 03:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

Thanks.

Yeah, I'm sure it's really annoying for theists to be constantly reminded how ridiculous it is to posit super-powers in other gods which have as much evidence for them as their own mythical beings.

Nice try, but I'm a huge fan of Tolkien/Rodenberry/Lucas/Fleming as I've posted before many times.

My point was how do you relate the zeitgeist of the never-ending protagonists in fiction who come to save/do good works/rescue/redeem with the statement that in the naturalist's worldview, we save ourselves only?

And if you're angry with me, please don't leave this discussion Thor.
25-10-2013, 10:14 AM
(25-10-2013 10:00 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 03:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, I'm sure it's really annoying for theists to be constantly reminded how ridiculous it is to posit super-powers in other gods which have as much evidence for them as their own mythical beings.

Nice try, but I'm a huge fan of Tolkien/Rodenberry/Lucas/Fleming as I've posted before many times.

My point was how do you relate the zeitgeist of the never-ending protagonists in fiction who come to save/do good works/rescue/redeem with the statement that in the naturalist's worldview, we save ourselves only?

It a recurring theme of FICTION to have someone more than human, who is not bound by the usual rules be able to come in and do the impossible. It makes for a great story because everyone can relate to the problem. If you are implying that because this is a common theme it means that your favorite fictional character is really true then you are again making an ad populum fallacy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Are you sure zeitgeist is the proper term for this? These tales of the hero have been told even before the written word. Even earlier if you want to include cave paintings. Its the never ending mythos. It will be with us forever.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
25-10-2013, 10:21 AM
(24-10-2013 03:12 PM)sporehux Wrote:  http://instituteofbiblicaldefense.com/20...-atheists/
"Like a gay pride parade, these hedonistic atheists revel in their shame like a pig wallows in its own muddy filth."

some messed up shit on the mind of this theist, racist ignorant fucktard.

Goddamn, those sneaky theists have us all figured out... now what are we gonna do? Angel

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-10-2013, 10:29 AM
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

Thanks.

Why would having no belief in a real god preclude enjoying a fictional representation of a god or a being with god-like abilities?

I am looking forward to the new Thor movie myself where I will knowingly watch a real human playing the part of a fake super hero done well enough to allow me to temporarily escape into a fantasy world believable enough (distinct from believable) to be entertaining. And when it's over, I will come right back to reality where no such beings actually exist.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
25-10-2013, 10:43 AM
I relate to it as fantasy and fiction, the same way I view the bible: a work of fantasy and fiction.

Does that help out any?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
25-10-2013, 10:55 AM
(25-10-2013 10:43 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I relate to it as fantasy and fiction, the same way I view the bible: a work of fantasy and fiction.

Does that help out any?

Well the bible is more than that, its mythology. Its a story of and mixture of real and often exaggerated and purely mythical event's showing the values and culture of the time.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
25-10-2013, 12:05 PM
(25-10-2013 10:14 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 10:00 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Nice try, but I'm a huge fan of Tolkien/Rodenberry/Lucas/Fleming as I've posted before many times.

It a recurring theme of FICTION to have someone more than human, who is not bound by the usual rules be able to come in and do the impossible. It makes for a great story because everyone can relate to the problem. If you are implying that because this is a common theme it means that your favorite fictional character is really true then you are again making an ad populum fallacy.

It's not an ad populum argument... yet... until we see how many movie tickets will be sold by heroes saying there is no way out, nothing they can do, it's all over and well, that's a Mother Nature wrap-- zero. Smile