A Thor Point With Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2013 10:32 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: A Thor Point With Me
(25-10-2013 10:00 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 03:10 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, I'm sure it's really annoying for theists to be constantly reminded how ridiculous it is to posit super-powers in other gods which have as much evidence for them as their own mythical beings.

Nice try, but I'm a huge fan of Tolkien/Rodenberry/Lucas/Fleming as I've posted before many times.

My point was how do you relate the zeitgeist of the never-ending protagonists in fiction who come to save/do good works/rescue/redeem with the statement that in the naturalist's worldview, we save ourselves only?

And if you're angry with me, please don't leave this discussion Thor.

I don' need no stinkin' ree-dem-shun.
Tongue

(oh .. look Martha, he made a little funny)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2013, 09:58 PM
I haven't read all the posts here (I'm a lil drunkard, and my attention span has dwindled considerably) but I just want to add that I'm super psyched for the new Thor movie, loved the first one, and the avengers, and ironman!!
25-10-2013, 10:13 PM
(25-10-2013 09:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I haven't read all the posts here (I'm a lil drunkard, and my attention span has dwindled considerably) but I just want to add that I'm super psyched for the new Thor movie, loved the first one, and the avengers, and ironman!!

Even Iron man 3 ?,

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
25-10-2013, 10:14 PM
(24-10-2013 03:12 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 03:04 PM)sporehux Wrote:  I'm all Thor it.

The closest to the "God of tits and wine" there is Smile

.... wouldn't that be Dionysus?

As for the presence of gods in entertainment media, I'd say that a not-too-intelligent, fantastic romp that is expected to entertain for a few hours but has the same enlightenment content as the popcorn you eat while watching it has nutritional content, is exactly where gods and magic and so forth belong.

Thor is a Norse (Scandinavian) God, Dionysus is a Roman God.
Get your cultures right son. Tongue

As for superheros, no I hate them. They're ridiculous and stupid.
In a sc-fi sistuation, like say jedi knights in Star wars which were sort of heroes in themselves, it's fine. But in real world situations such as spiderman, batman, ironman blah blah blah all that comic book SHIT, it's shit.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-10-2013, 10:16 PM
(25-10-2013 10:13 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 09:58 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I haven't read all the posts here (I'm a lil drunkard, and my attention span has dwindled considerably) but I just want to add that I'm super psyched for the new Thor movie, loved the first one, and the avengers, and ironman!!

Even Iron man 3 ?,

Crap I may be too drunkard to answer this one. I enjoyed it.... But didn't like parts of it. Like ....
when he destroyed all of his awesome suits
25-10-2013, 10:44 PM
(25-10-2013 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Thor is a Norse (Scandinavian) God, Dionysus is a GREEK God.
Ah much betterBig Grin

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
25-10-2013, 11:08 PM
They should make a superhero movie where Aphrodite is involved with the protagonist in some way.

It would be like 300 but with the sex and violence switched.
25-10-2013, 11:20 PM
(25-10-2013 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  As for superheros, no I hate them. They're ridiculous and stupid.
In a sc-fi sistuation, like say jedi knights in Star wars which were sort of heroes in themselves, it's fine. But in real world situations such as spiderman, batman, ironman blah blah blah all that comic book SHIT, it's shit.

Psssst... Wolverine. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-10-2013, 07:55 AM
(25-10-2013 10:44 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 10:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Thor is a Norse (Scandinavian) God, Dionysus is a GREEK God.
Ah much betterBig Grin

my bad Blush
I did know that!. Tongue Roman Gods are named after the planets (well.. planets named after the Roman Gods..) Jupiter the top God, Mars god of war etc.. etc.. etc.. Venus the goddess of beauty or whatever the fuck, etc.. etc... Greek gods are Zeus and all his little gay friends.
I think I was distracted thinking that it would be fucking stupid of me to put down the wrong culture whilst complaining someone got the wrong culture and wtf do I go do...

WAIT!! No I got it, the Roman Empire, at one point, included Greece and thusly Greece, where the Greeks are from, were part of Rome and thus making Dionysus a Roman God.
Check and mate. Drinking Beverage (I know that's total bullshit but w/e)

Quote:Psssst... Wolverine. Dodgy

Actually x-mens not tooooooo bad because there's a whole race of them.
But Wolverine on his own?? gay.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-10-2013, 06:37 AM
(25-10-2013 10:55 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(25-10-2013 10:43 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I relate to it as fantasy and fiction, the same way I view the bible: a work of fantasy and fiction.

Does that help out any?

Well the bible is more than that, its mythology. Its a story of and mixture of real and often exaggerated and purely mythical event's showing the values and culture of the time.

And yet another one misses the point... Dodgy

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]