A Thor Point With Me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 11:03 AM
RE: A Thor Point With Me
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

I love D&D, and a lot of the mythology associated with it. I find the stuff fascinating. I also like some comics, and I can enjoy some far-fetched sci-fi.

The difference between me and Christians is I consider the Bible to be part of the world's collection of mythology. If you talk about the myth of Medusa, no one bats an eye. Refer to the flood story in Genesis as "the flood myth", and all of the Jimmies on the Internet get rustled simultaneously.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 02:25 PM
(28-10-2013 11:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 02:13 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  How do you respond to the many, many culture/zeitgeist points that touch on super-powers and metaphysics?

Are you looking forward to the Thor sequel movie, for example, or do you prefer films grounded more solidly in reality and less in magical powers and superpowers?

I love D&D, and a lot of the mythology associated with it. I find the stuff fascinating. I also like some comics, and I can enjoy some far-fetched sci-fi.

The difference between me and Christians is I consider the Bible to be part of the world's collection of mythology. If you talk about the myth of Medusa, no one bats an eye. Refer to the flood story in Genesis as "the flood myth", and all of the Jimmies on the Internet get rustled simultaneously.

I wouldn't get miffed, since there are over 100 ancient traditions with a flood "myth", informing us that there was... a flood. Smile

I'm interested in Thor 2 but not as psyched about the Bat-fleck re-re-re-boot.
28-10-2013, 02:46 PM
(28-10-2013 02:25 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 11:03 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I love D&D, and a lot of the mythology associated with it. I find the stuff fascinating. I also like some comics, and I can enjoy some far-fetched sci-fi.

I wouldn't get miffed, since there are over 100 ancient traditions with a flood "myth", informing us that there was... a flood. Smile

I'm interested in Thor 2 but not as psyched about the Bat-fleck re-re-re-boot.
Every civilization rose up around rivers which often flooded too. They either helped crops grow or was devastating to the cities. Now a worldwide flood..thats a bit much. Are we next going to say that there were actual dragons since every civilization has a dragon myth too? lol I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like an assTongue

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
29-10-2013, 11:28 AM
It depends entirely on the story at hand for me, and I'll judge individually. For instance, I have some issues with X-Men. I'll let it go that it is not technically "evolution," as it is a bunch of radical mutations that could lead to the evolution of a new human/post-human.

Any "mutation" that can be realistically natural, I have no problem with. You know, being beastly, super taught muscles, animal elements, claws, special vision, fast healing, genetic immortality, slowed aging, wings, etc. These are generally "more rational."

I'm of the mindset that telekinesis and telepathy are totally unrealistic, no longer even considering it to be remotely plausible. I don't see how the brain can affect something outside of it.

And the same goes for "magical" powers, such as Storm. I can believe that a guy can grow claws and even manipulate magnetism if concentrated magnet fields could be generated in his body (and because Magneto is the world's greatest badass), but I don't like seeing what would amount to "magical" powers, like creating storms and lightning in the air and tornadoes.

/Geek Drama

If it's science fiction and not a superhero genre we're talking about, it better be grounded in science--like Star Trek tends to be. I love Star Wars, but those movies are about as scientific as Deepok Chopra.

This is the signature.

http://www.FromNothingGameStudios.com
29-10-2013, 11:41 AM
(28-10-2013 02:46 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Every civilization rose up around rivers which often flooded too. They either helped crops grow or was devastating to the cities. Now a worldwide flood..thats a bit much. Are we next going to say that there were actual dragons since every civilization has a dragon myth too? lol I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like an assTongue

What, you think the Chinese just made all that dragon stuff up out of thin air? Tongue

I'm more concerned with the Leviathan that's lurking in the ocean. Sailors have been writing about it for years and ships continue to disappear. Doesn't take a scientist to figure that one out. I won't swim in the ocean until that thing's corpse washes up somewhere.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
30-10-2013, 02:02 PM
(29-10-2013 11:41 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 02:46 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Every civilization rose up around rivers which often flooded too. They either helped crops grow or was devastating to the cities. Now a worldwide flood..thats a bit much. Are we next going to say that there were actual dragons since every civilization has a dragon myth too? lol I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound like an assTongue

What, you think the Chinese just made all that dragon stuff up out of thin air? Tongue

I'm more concerned with the Leviathan that's lurking in the ocean. Sailors have been writing about it for years and ships continue to disappear. Doesn't take a scientist to figure that one out. I won't swim in the ocean until that thing's corpse washes up somewhere.

I don't think so at all and you've raised a lovely point. There are as many "dragon tales" pardon the pun as flood tales. And there were large lizards living with folks post-Flood, says I...
30-10-2013, 02:13 PM
(30-10-2013 02:02 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I don't think so at all and you've raised a lovely point. There are as many "dragon tales" pardon the pun as flood tales. And there were large lizards living with folks post-Flood, says I...

Even more interesting is that dragons were believed to have power over water and weather. Maybe we've been pinning the flood on the wrong guy... Tongue

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
30-10-2013, 02:17 PM
(30-10-2013 02:13 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 02:02 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I don't think so at all and you've raised a lovely point. There are as many "dragon tales" pardon the pun as flood tales. And there were large lizards living with folks post-Flood, says I...

Even more interesting is that dragons were believed to have power over water and weather. Maybe we've been pinning the flood on the wrong guy... Tongue

Maybe not, since we STILL CANNOT CONTROL THE WEATHER EVEN THOUGH IT CAN KILL OR GIVE LIFE.
30-10-2013, 03:06 PM
(30-10-2013 02:17 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(30-10-2013 02:13 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Even more interesting is that dragons were believed to have power over water and weather. Maybe we've been pinning the flood on the wrong guy... Tongue

Maybe not, since we STILL CANNOT CONTROL THE WEATHER EVEN THOUGH IT CAN KILL OR GIVE LIFE.

The dragon gods care not for mortals and their petty weather requests. However, it is said that the dragons will often manifest themselves as waterspouts. I recommend approaching a spout and offering a sacrifice. Couldn't hurt...

30-10-2013, 07:23 PM
(30-10-2013 02:02 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 11:41 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  What, you think the Chinese just made all that dragon stuff up out of thin air? Tongue

I don't think so at all and you've raised a lovely point. There are as many "dragon tales" pardon the pun as flood tales. And there were large lizards living with folks post-Flood, says I...

And troll tales. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user