A Thousand Years of Purpose

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 11:03 AM
A Thousand Years of Purpose
The religious devote much of their zeal to so-called "purpose" - that living for a god gives life purpose - and that not living for a god makes life aimless.

You could say that this so-called purpose is synonymous with legacy; if you die unremembered whatever purpose you thought you were fulfilling amounted to nothing. So, looking at long term legacy, not just flash in the pan legacy, whom do we remember from 1000 years ago?

I'll be honest, my history is weak; I can't name a single name from history without having to check on it in Google to see if it dates back 1000 years or more. And every name I had at the top of my head was more recent than that. Leif Erikson, Charlemagne are names I recognize, but I had to get them from Google as figures from more than 10 centuries ago.

So a thousand years later a man of average intellect and education (me) hasn't got any names he can be sure are ancient. It seems our ability to leave anything other than a transient legacy is extremely limited.

Whom in recent history will be a name everyman would at least recognize 1000 years from now? I can think of only 4 right now, 3 stupendous prodigies and 1 stupendous demon: Mozart, Beethoven, Einstein and Hitler. And none of these 4 are remembered for anything religious. Maybe Ghandi.

Whom do you think will be remembered a 1000 years from now enough to be recognized by the man in the street?

Frankly, purpose looks to me to be vastly overrated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
23-06-2015, 01:13 PM
RE: A Thousand Years of Purpose
Pee Wee Herman and Carrottop....

In the near future, they'll run for President and VP....

THen they'll cure cancer, end poverty, and invent a car that gets 300 mpg and burns sewage - while emitting pure water and Jack Daniels.

Hey -- if the followers of a dead Jewish guy from Nazareth can make outrageous promises - and people believe it ---- why the hell not???

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
23-06-2015, 02:01 PM
(23-06-2015 11:03 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  The religious devote much of their zeal to so-called "purpose" - that living for a god gives life purpose - and that not living for a god makes life aimless.

You could say that this so-called purpose is synonymous with legacy; if you die unremembered whatever purpose you thought you were fulfilling amounted to nothing. So, looking at long term legacy, not just flash in the pan legacy, whom do we remember from 1000 years ago?

I'll be honest, my history is weak; I can't name a single name from history without having to check on it in Google to see if it dates back 1000 years or more. And every name I had at the top of my head was more recent than that. Leif Erikson, Charlemagne are names I recognize, but I had to get them from Google as figures from more than 10 centuries ago.

So a thousand years later a man of average intellect and education (me) hasn't got any names he can be sure are ancient. It seems our ability to leave anything other than a transient legacy is extremely limited.

Whom in recent history will be a name everyman would at least recognize 1000 years from now? I can think of only 4 right now, 3 stupendous prodigies and 1 stupendous demon: Mozart, Beethoven, Einstein and Hitler. And none of these 4 are remembered for anything religious. Maybe Ghandi.

Whom do you think will be remembered a 1000 years from now enough to be recognized by the man in the street?

Frankly, purpose looks to me to be vastly overrated.

Airportkid

I wish that I'd written this post - but hey ho. At least, I get to answer.

I'm aware of religion's purpose - which is to get as rich as possible and to control as many people's lives as possible but I'm not aware that god gave man a purpose - unless it was to worship something/someone that doesn't exist. I've met lots of christians who claim to 'know' what god wants for us but I have yet to talk to one who has met god.

Before you were born, were you aware? No.

It's the same when you die. When you die, you die. No heaven, no hell. NOTHING.

When you die, unless you are world famous, the only people that care are your children and your grandchildren and, when they die, no one will remember you at all. Basically, you and me are no more that piss ants. Fifty years after your death, no one will know that you even existed let alone care that you are now dead. That, people, is reality. Get with the program.

So, why is man here and what is his purpose?

Man is a happy accident. He lives on a very ordinary planet in a very ordinary solar system in a very ordinary location of the galaxy in a very ordinary galaxy. There is nothing special about Man's location. Man, however, may be unique in this universe and may be the only intelligent species in the universe. On the other hand, he may not be.

For me, I know I have one life for sure and that's the life I'm taking maximum advantage of because, in all probability, there isn't another life after we die.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
23-06-2015, 02:04 PM

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
23-06-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't want to itemize the OP because by and large I agree, especially with the ending statement you posited. However, to the lay-believer purpose and legacy are hardly synonymous. My evidence of this is purely anecdotal based on the background I came out of.

Purpose - As an ex-christian my purpose should never have started with my circumstances but with my "heart" towards people. Was I constantly moving myself first and then others towards God? Was it my goal to spread the gospel and help make disciples? This would have been my purpose in life.

Legacy - Had more to do with my overall impact based on characteristics of my personality etc; not necessarily singular actions I had taken.

For example: when discussing legacy one wouldn't really focus on "Well he had a masters degree in business" or "he drove a BMW". Instead it would be more idealistic to say "she was always kind to everyone that came across her path" or "she was giving to a fault and even if you took advantage of her, she was quick to forgive".

Being removed from religion now I think that the two ideas could be conflated as you suggested. I think it's more a matter of semantics and definition than anything.

This is all besides the point though, to answer your questions:

1.) The first name that pops into my head is Ceaser Augustus
2.) I think people will remember those that have played a pivotal role in the genesis of major changes of understanding. Those like Einstein, Galileo, Pasteur, Darwin and the likes.

Smile Drinking Beverage

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
23-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I care not for legacy and my purpose is to have a good life.

As for ancient names Sargon of Akkad, Cicero, Aristotle, Solon or many others come to mind - all of them are much older than 1000 years. As for more recent ones who will be recognised I think Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Einstein, Marks - these are names which are easily recognisable now and I suspect will be just as easily recognisable in the future.

But why be concerned with who will be recognized in the future? It's meaningless - when one is long dead one does not care for his name being known by everyone.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Great point.

There's a meme that makes the rounds every so often asking if you can name the last five winners of the Heisman, Pulitzer, Congressional Medal of Honor, Best actor etc. then they ask can you name the most influential teacher in your life, the person you most look up to, the person who you call in the middle of the night if you were in trouble etc.

Puts things in perspective.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-06-2015, 05:39 PM
When I read Sartre's autobiography he said at an early age he figured the only way to "live on" was through what could be left behind. In has case literature.
History remembers despots, thinkers, artists etc. Often those close to them as well.

People from the 20th century who will be remembered, Winston Churchill, Hitler, Stalin, ,Eisenhauer, The Beatles, JFK, Mao, Lenin, Pol Pot etc etc. Many will be remembered in their various countries.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
23-06-2015, 06:29 PM
1,000 years from now, globalisation will be a word of the past and instead, the Earth Federation will be negotiating with the non-Earth colonies regarding Independence.

As each planet will have a different calendar system, we will have moved to a light-year numbering convention and the old Christ / Buddha / Islamic systems will have been left behind.

The new standard dating system will be re-calibrated from the date of mankind's greatest moment of self-awareness ... 1859 ... the publication of Origin Of The Species (also, incidentally the year that John Stuart Mill's On Liberty was published).

BC = Before Charles
AD = After Darwin

Children may not have a full understanding of who he was but that does not matter ... it's his legacy that counts.

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
23-06-2015, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2015 06:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(23-06-2015 11:03 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  Whom do you think will be remembered a 1000 years from now enough to be recognized by the man in the street?

"Bob". Drinking Beverage
[Image: Bobtheprophet.jpg]
SLACK OFF BITCHES! Thus saith The Word.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus