A Transcendence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2015, 01:18 PM
RE: A Transcendence
What, was EK's post an invitation to masturbate?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2015, 01:23 PM
(05-01-2015 12:23 PM)Gordon Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 10:51 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Multiple times throughout your reincarnations I have engaged you in a sincere and straight forward manner and each time you don't respond in kind. Why is that? Why not engage on a one on one basis?

You're right. I apologize for my past behavior. It's Monday. It's 2015. I'm 50. It's time for me to grow up. Shy

Quote:If you are so determined to be part of this forum doesn't it make sense to be more civil to others who try to engage? Free is a perfect example of what can happen when you do.

It does make sense, yes.

Quote:I'm curious to see what a dialogue with Edward Gordon would sound be like without acrimony so here's your chance, I'm extending an olive branch. In whatever form you respond to my post I'll repay in kind, the ball is in your court.

You have to understand there was always a "shtick," for entertainment. The person you see now, is Edward Gordon ("Lion" at The Veridican). Have you ever watched a dog fence fight with another dog? I have one that will run up to a fence and go back and forth, back and forth, fence fighting with the dog on the other side. My dog (the one in the avatar) really seems to like doing that. It must be some kind of recreation for her. I have to make sure I keep her on a leash on her walk if the neighbor's dogs are in their yard. Well, that's how I am in here.

But I'm kind of out of steam, or maybe I'm just more interested in other things, other ways of communicating. Because the communication is everything, you know? If a person doesn't talk, doesn't listen, they won't learn, and they won't grow. The shtick can be fun, but it starts to get in the way. It's getting in the way of my growth, I can tell you that.

I never disliked you, not at all. I see your avatar, and I always read what you write. I think BB would poison my drink while I was in the toilet, if I ever took him to a pub, but I think you and I could have lots of drinks and lots of laughs. I don't get a hostile vibe from you at all.

From now on, I'm going to try to curb the shtick. [Image: peapod.gif]

Now, I gotta go jog.

I’m pleasantly surprised apologies accepted, big of you Thumbsup

I can tell you that I never got the “shtick” for entertainment. My dogs fence fight as well but it does nothing but aggravate me and the neighbors, hardly entertaining. Also, since I didn’t know it was a “shtick”, as you say, I have to believe that is the real you since I have nothing else to go on. I’d much prefer a convo with someone not pretending to be something they are not.

I’ll endeavor to interact with you in a civil manner as long as you do the same. We come at the world from very opposite points of view and while we disagree on many things I’d prefer the convo to be an exchange of ideas instead of an exchange of insults.

Everyone here will probably be watching to see if I’m on a fools errand, I hope I’m not. This may very well be the best opportunity for you to show that you have indeed “transcended”. It may take a while, lots of history to overcome, but I think a worthwhile endeavor if you intend to continue to walk the halls of TTA.

I’ll address your OP in a different post.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2015, 01:33 PM
(05-01-2015 12:23 PM)Gordon Wrote:  From now on, I'm going to try to curb the shtick. [Image: peapod.gif]

[Image: 3142435b61094b7d9256ba11fb838f479800bacb...cf16a1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
05-01-2015, 01:35 PM
(05-01-2015 01:05 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A year and a half ago you were talking about writing your book the verschlimmbessern. Where have you got to on that? What new knowledge have you gained?

You must not want an answer to that question if you're going to refer to my personal beliefs that way. But of course you want me to keep reading about what you're doing and how your life is evolving. Well, of course you want me to do that. Facepalm

Quote:Myself, I have read several books on evolution, quantum physics and particle physics. I have learned many cool and interesting things and have learned the great lengths these scientists have gone to be able to have confidence in their findings.

Sounds like a good self-education.

Quote:At work I have successfully implemented a multimillion dollar project that is a world's first. Along the way I have learned much about a new emerging technology as well as having learned something about mainframes, I have furthered my knowlege and expertise in my chosen field.

You must be a winner. Drinking Beverage

Quote:Financially my family is better off and I have helped to further the development of my two daughters.

Bully for you Thumbsup

But you still need to insult my religion. [Image: crazyidea.gif]
05-01-2015, 01:46 PM
(05-01-2015 01:35 PM)Gordon Wrote:  But you still need to insult my religion. [Image: crazyidea.gif]
Your track record has been antagonistic and derridding of atheists (all atheists).

I am still very confused as to your own book. What value it is other than being a reducted version of the Christian bible (having Gordon removing the bits he personally doesn't like).

If you are starting a new leaf I might treat you more seriously. Time will tell.
05-01-2015, 01:49 PM
(05-01-2015 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m pleasantly surprised apologies accepted, big of you Thumbsup

I can tell you that I never got the “shtick” for entertainment. My dogs fence fight as well but it does nothing but aggravate me and the neighbors, hardly entertaining.

I've come to realize that about a lot of people in here. As a group, atheists don't have a very large sense of humor. They find it funny to denigrate Christianity and religious thinking, but when I post video clips or make jokes, no one ever gets it. And they are very serious (as are Christians in Christian forums).

I remember a sailing forum I was in. We would fence fight constantly about whose sailboat was better, what this or that one could do, diss each others experience, all that, and yet, no one seemed to take it particularly to heart. The very next post could be advice, or I'd e-mail with one or two of them, and I truly felt like we were all friends. But that was sailboats, and we all sucked.

I've always been very secure in my faith. Not in my theology. I've never been able to nail that down. But in my faith, talking to God, believing in Jesus, even if I can't say I fully understand all he teaches. I've never wavered on that. So, I can make jokes about it. Like, my publishing "company" if you will, is called Black Spirit Publishing, and until someone sees the logo, they don't see that it's a black Labrador--my black lab--and his name is Spirit. Christians would think Satan had entered my heart.

But I don't worry about Satan--hell, God's bad enough on His own! ([Image: laughloud.gif])

Quote:Also, since I didn’t know it was a “shtick”, as you say, I have to believe that is the real you since I have nothing else to go on. I’d much prefer a convo with someone not pretending to be something they are not.

Dude. You don't even use your name. You can google me. I can't google you.

Quote:I’ll endeavor to interact with you in a civil manner as long as you do the same. We come at the world from very opposite points of view and while we disagree on many things I’d prefer the convo to be an exchange of ideas instead of an exchange of insults.

Me, too. Weeping

Quote:Everyone here will probably be watching to see if I’m on a fools errand, I hope I’m not. This may very well be the best opportunity for you to show that you have indeed “transcended”. It may take a while, lots of history to overcome, but I think a worthwhile endeavor if you intend to continue to walk the halls of TTA.

Time will tell. Drinking Beverage
05-01-2015, 02:03 PM
(05-01-2015 01:46 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-01-2015 01:35 PM)Gordon Wrote:  But you still need to insult my religion. [Image: crazyidea.gif]
Your track record has been antagonistic and derridding of atheists (all atheists).

I am still very confused as to your own book. What value it is other than being a reducted version of the Christian bible (having Gordon removing the bits he personally doesn't like).

If you are starting a new leaf I might treat you more seriously. Time will tell.

The book I'm writing (acutally, revising, because I wrote it back in 2005) is what is called a synthetic harmony of the Gospels. There have been many Gospel harmonies written, but they mostly use a side-by-side comparison of the Gospels. A few synthetic gospels have been written since the 2nd Century, but the only one that stands out is Tatian's, and it was used in Syrian churches for about 200 years. Until about 400 AD.

The problem with writing a "synthetic" harmony of the Gospels is that in order to do so, one must edit the Gospel record, and since the 4th Century that has never been allowed. Only a heretic would do such a thing. So, the Veridican Gospel of Jesus Christ is rather unique in that respect.

What gives me the "right" to write something like that is my relationship with God and my love and respect for Jesus Christ that has been with me my whole life. I am so confident in my relationship, that I do not believe God would allow me to mess up the Gospel record--and there really needs to be a single Gospel. Or at least I need one. I highly doubt anyone besides me will ever read my synthesized Gospel.

One unique feature of mine is the inclusion of the Gospel of Thomas. In that respect, I think I am the only person in history to have written such a synthetic harmony of the Gospels. I don't need to be, but I think I am. There was one such attempt, but it wasn't a synthetic harmony. It was a standard harmony where the four NT Gospels and the Gospel of Thomas were presented side by side.

In a month or so, it should be back in print and available on amazon. It's listed on Amazon now, but that's the 2012 version and it's not in print or available for Kindle downloading. Nevertheless, here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Veridican-Gospel-J...sus+christ
05-01-2015, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 02:20 PM by Mr. Boston.)
We're all stuck in ruts? Unwilling to grow? How many new and creative ways of not believing in something must one explore?
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
05-01-2015, 02:18 PM
(05-01-2015 09:58 AM)Gordon Wrote:  I am all religions: past, present, and future. In everything that reveals God, I am into it. Everyone who searches, I’m searching with them.

I have no idea what this means.

Quote:You know what I think the problem is? People get stuck in ruts and grooves. I come back here after a year and a half off or so, and the same people are exactly the same way, thinking and talking the same thing. No growth.

An accusatory general statement that gets my hackles up. Sometime people do get stuck in grooves and sometime change happens exceedingly slow, so much so that it isn’t at once apparent especially when on a forum that you haven’t been to in a year and a half.

Another point, and this one applies to me personally, is that I am very content with who I am. I am lucky enough to have a found a balance in my life that I nurture everyday. For a person looking in it may appear as stagnation, but to me it is exactly what I’m striving for, a calmness of spirit.

Judging others by your criteria is a sure way of missing the essence of the individuals you so carelessly judge. You would be better off asking what moves them instead of telling them how you think they should be.

Quote:People say I change all the time, but that’s because I don’t get stuck in ruts and grooves. I'm a seeker. I try new things out, new ideas.

If it works for you great, just remember there are many ways to skin a cat.

Quote:In the forum I’m starting (And a big thank you to the ones who have joined so far), I have a motto in my signature block: “Don't talk. Don't listen. Don't learn. Don't grow."

I honestly believe that the talking matters. I honestly believe in the constant chatter between theists and atheists. I think it serves a very important purpose. The reason I started the Veridican was because this group fails to give refuge to the theists, so they don't join, and the worst thing that can happen will happen. The chatter between atheist and theist will stop.

So I have a category that's only for Christians and then one that's only for Atheists, and then a debate category in between the two where they can meet and discuss things in a nearly total free speech environment. Very very few things a person can get banned for.

Hope that works out for you.

Quote:Sadly, I’ve noticed the bannings in here are getting quite arbitrary. It's going to become like Raving Atheist in here pretty soon. That's another reason I started a forum. Because this was the last worthwhile atheist forum to join, but under Stark, I’m sad to say, it’s devolving into what all the other atheist groups are--cliques just for atheists.

I disagree with you implicitly. There has been nothing arbitrary about banning posters who break the rules, follow the rules you don’t get banned. It amazes me that you don’t see how tolerant the forum is, most especially with your history here.

As for cliquish, well Ed, many of us live in places where being an atheist is a lonely experience. Many of us have gone through or are going through difficult times with work, family and friends because of their strongly held religious beliefs. We come here to this small corner of the world to commiserate, support and enjoy each other’s company in an environment that is non-religious. THAT IS THE POINT! If I wanted to seek out theists all I have to do is walk out the door and talk to the first person I meet, 85% chance they’ll believe in God.

Quote:And I know some of you think that’s what you want. But trust me, you don't. Chas, BB, Whiskey D, and a few others would love this place to be like Raving Atheist (I'm not sure RA even exists anymore.), but you don't want to follow their influence. You want there to be debate, and without at least some theists in the group, there won't ever be any debate. Someone will just post a picture of their latest bowel movement and it will generate 50 replies from the only five people left actually making comments on anything.

This is the type of condescension and generalization that I abhor. Stop it. Stop telling others that they don’t know themselves. So, trust me when I tell you Ed that I know exactly what I want. As for others here why don’t you ask them first instead of playing the cognescenti role that grates so much on people’s nerves.

As for theists being necessary to the forum imo I think we’d welcome anyone with something interesting to add but this forum needs theists like a fish needs a bicycle. I don’t come to argue with theists, I come for the comraderie of like-minded individuals. That I’m having this conversation with you doesn’t change that and please don’t take that in a demeaning way because it’s not meant to be.

Quote:I don’t want to fight with atheists anymore. I've been wrong about so many things in my life. I've been so shortsighted. I want to debate with atheists. I want to go back to a time when it was about the philosophy, when competing ideas gave way to a truth of some sort.

Music to my ears.

Quote:Free (the member, Free) has actually given me a lot to think about. Hell, so has BB. But I would have gotten more if I hadn't been such a dick, and I know there are a lot of dicks in here, and I know that they deserve as good as they get, but I should have ignored them, not fence-fought with them. I have these regrets.

You would have been better off not saying anything than paying this backhanded compliment. Dodgy

Quote:Anyway, if you want to check out how I’m trying to remedy the situation, check out my forum at Veridican.com It’s no competition with this forum, as this is an atheist-only forum, and it seems TTA has a new direction it has to go as well.

I suppose it won't be long before I'm chucked out with Woof and Bozo. Confused

Don’t play the martyr, it’s not becoming (violins palying in the background), you know the forum rules, don’t break them.

I now hope you have a better understanding of where I’m coming from, remember I don’t speak for anyone but me.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-01-2015, 02:28 PM
(05-01-2015 01:49 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Dude. You don't even use your name. You can google me. I can't google you.

This has everything to do with the persecution and hatred that atheists are showered with. I don’t need some fundie who is convinced that God wants him to kill atheists showing on my front door.

My anonymity is a direct result of the very intolerance religions embrace.

“The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and they come after you with machetes." ~ Dave Barry

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post