A Universe from nothing and Qur'an

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2014, 07:39 AM
A Universe from nothing and Qur'an
Can someone clear up the claims in this video? I like reading stuff that claims it was mentioned in Quran before anyone knew it, like how the Earth is round, or the light of moon is reflected, etc but then I researched into it and found out it was already discovered even before Quran ever came into existence. But I don't know about the arguments presented here, will anyone more informed be much kind to clear this up for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7lCR-7AKQ

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-06-2014, 08:02 AM
RE: A Universe from nothing and Qur'an
(18-06-2014 07:39 AM)Anna Wrote:  Can someone clear up the claims in this video? I like reading stuff that claims it was mentioned in Quran before anyone knew it, like how the Earth is round, or the light of moon is reflected, etc but then I researched into it and found out it was already discovered even before Quran ever came into existence. But I don't know about the arguments presented here, will anyone more informed be much kind to clear this up for me.

Whatever it says doesn't matter. Islam is built upon Christianity and Judaism, both of which are simply bunk ancient myth. Anything that looks like it may be relevant requires backflips and benefit of hindsight. Nobody read any of those ancient religious texts and got a description anything close to how modern cosmology describes our universe; it's all just post hoc rationalization and grasping for straws.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-06-2014, 08:19 AM
(18-06-2014 08:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 07:39 AM)Anna Wrote:  Can someone clear up the claims in this video? I like reading stuff that claims it was mentioned in Quran before anyone knew it, like how the Earth is round, or the light of moon is reflected, etc but then I researched into it and found out it was already discovered even before Quran ever came into existence. But I don't know about the arguments presented here, will anyone more informed be much kind to clear this up for me.

Whatever it says doesn't matter. Islam is built upon Christianity and Judaism, both of which are simply bunk ancient myth. Anything that looks like it may be relevant requires backflips and benefit of hindsight. Nobody read any of those ancient religious texts and got a description anything close to how modern cosmology describes our universe; it's all just post hoc rationalization and grasping for straws.

Maybe but I found it interesting that the idea of a flat universe was common at that time, but then again, they did thought the Earth was flat too, why not the universe. Also I found out that the Muslim scientist of older times did believe in the theory of evolution, before Darwin. It was called the Mohammeden theory of evolution, where as I always thought you just cant mix the two.

18-06-2014, 08:23 AM
This video is simply made by liars. The part for example when Alex Filippenko is describing the concept of the Big Crunch is taken out of context.
18-06-2014, 09:39 AM
(18-06-2014 07:39 AM)Anna Wrote:  ...
But I don't know about the arguments presented here, will anyone more informed be much kind to clear this up for me.

Start with watching the whole presentation...

Anything that any of the supposedly 'holy' books got right was by sheer accident. The Quranic verses are open to almost any interpretation due to the lack of a formal and consistent syntax when they were written, so the vaguest snippets of poetry get twisted to fit the Islamist agenda.

The main problem is that none of the scriptures are scientifically useful because they never provide predictions... only retrodictions.

The backward engineering is simply desperation.

I like that you are researching it though.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
18-06-2014, 09:50 AM
(18-06-2014 09:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 07:39 AM)Anna Wrote:  ...
But I don't know about the arguments presented here, will anyone more informed be much kind to clear this up for me.

Start with watching the whole presentation...

Anything that any of the supposedly 'holy' books got right was by sheer accident. The Quranic verses are open to almost any interpretation due to the lack of a formal and consistent syntax when they were written, so the vaguest snippets of poetry get twisted to fit the Islamist agenda.

The main problem is that none of the scriptures are scientifically useful because they never provide predictions... only retrodictions.

The backward engineering is simply desperation.

I like that you are researching it though.

Thumbsup

I did watch the whole lecture before seeing this video, it was referred to me by realJim some days ago and today I found this video so it made me confused. I am watching another video right now which says that Quran was written in two languages and has words from Greek, Latin, etc thus its meaning can never be accurate.
I too think that they're just taking the modern scientific discoveries and trying desperately to fit it in whatever verse they find that even remotely says anything similar to the discovery. I am exhausted Angry

[+] 2 users Like Anna's post
18-06-2014, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2014 10:51 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(18-06-2014 08:19 AM)Anna Wrote:  
(18-06-2014 08:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Whatever it says doesn't matter. Islam is built upon Christianity and Judaism, both of which are simply bunk ancient myth. Anything that looks like it may be relevant requires backflips and benefit of hindsight. Nobody read any of those ancient religious texts and got a description anything close to how modern cosmology describes our universe; it's all just post hoc rationalization and grasping for straws.

Maybe but I found it interesting that the idea of a flat universe was common at that time, but then again, they did thought the Earth was flat too, why not the universe. Also I found out that the Muslim scientist of older times did believe in the theory of evolution, before Darwin. It was called the Mohammeden theory of evolution, where as I always thought you just cant mix the two.

Even if they had a word to represent the 'universe' in ancient Arabic, it's certainly not meant in the same sense as modern cosmology; nor would the distinction between a flat, curved, or round one as per theoretical physics.

Do you want to know what would have actually help to improved the lives of billions throughout history? If god had bothered to inform anyone about the basics of hygiene and germs. Seriously, pondering the stars can wait until after we stop people from dying of dysentery and plague.

Some earlier Greek philosophers had pondered the idea of evolution, and certainly had a concept of, one animal changing into another over time. It lacked however the explanatory power of Darwin's work, because they (so far as we know) didn't have a natural explanation to make it work. I could imagine some of them entertaining the idea of we would now call theistic evolution, where the gods were the driving force of change. However Darwin still has to get credit for formalizing it and coming up with the naturalistic explanation to drive that change, his idea of natural selection.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
18-06-2014, 11:17 AM
The idea of the universe popping out from nothing is bullshit. And the koran is bullshit.
18-06-2014, 11:25 AM
(18-06-2014 11:17 AM)Leo Wrote:  The idea of the universe popping out from nothing is bullshit. And the koran is bullshit.

The idea of a universe from nothing is only bullshit in the sense that the term nothing isn't what most people assume it means. For the most part, we all live by the philosophical sense of nothing which is just an abstract man made idea. We evolved to understand cause and effect, not quantum mechanics.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 2 users Like =jesse='s post
18-06-2014, 11:25 AM
When I left Islam I made quite a few papers refuting particular claims in the Qur'an but the Qur'an like the Bible uses the firmament concept but it is heavily modified.
The ayat given is irrelevant and nonsensical. The Qur'an makes many vague statements about the earth.

I will dig up my documents and give you some background on Arabic words.

Crazy you say?
Wouldn't a crazy man ask another man if he was crazy?! Hobo