A Victory for Reason

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-03-2011, 07:52 PM
A Victory for Reason
I was made aware on Facebook of some good news finally! Answers in Genesis and Ken Ham were kicked out of a Homeschooling convention. I was so tempted to "Like" the news, but my parents were complaining about it. Tongue Thought I might as well spread the joy here, though!

From their site (the link that was posted):
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles...onferences

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2011, 09:12 PM
RE: A Victory for Reason
Your parents were complaining about it? They should be happy to see insane people put in their place, even if they too are insane =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
23-03-2011, 09:13 PM

I wonder if he's still surprised. Or rather, if he see's this as the Devil putting up barriers to test his resolve to serve the will of god. (Aka, Daddy to his first born Angel. *eg*)

If I'm not mistaken Ham hosts the Homeschooling forum at theologyonline.com.

Could be wrong though. Stranger things have happened.

Like that time in Cincinnati...[Image: whistle.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2011, 09:40 PM
Reading the article, I don't see a victory for reason. They were motivated to kick Ham and AiG out because of petty squabbling within the group. They still promote flawed views of "science", and the teaching of these flawed views to kids. I don't mind competing theories within science, but using the bible as a starting point, and never backing it up with a shred of credible empirical evidence is not science. Now if they had said "We are kicking Ham and friends out due to the fact that we have reviewed and recanted our position and disagree with his flawed teachings" that might be a victory for reason.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
23-03-2011, 10:28 PM
(23-03-2011 09:40 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Reading the article, I don't see a victory for reason. They were motivated to kick Ham and AiG out because of petty squabbling within the group. They still promote flawed views of "science", and the teaching of these flawed views to kids. I don't mind competing theories within science, but using the bible as a starting point, and never backing it up with a shred of credible empirical evidence is not science. Now if they had said "We are kicking Ham and friends out due to the fact that we have reviewed and recanted our position and disagree with his flawed teachings" that might be a victory for reason.

From the article:

"Please know that our Board is 100% young earth and we largely share AIG's perspective from a scientific standpoint."

So yeah, I agree with you cfh. Don't see much reason in that statement.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
24-03-2011, 01:55 PM
This is a creationist on creationist battle.
No "reason" in there whatsoever.
It's like protestants fighting catholics - nobody is getting wiser.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
25-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I bashfully admit I didn't read the article, but even though it's not a majour victory, don't you think it's a step in the right direction? Excluding Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis is excluding their horrendous logical fallacies. It's a bunch of mights and maybes, but maybe this means they're taking a step towards reason, even if they're not there yet. I suppose I look at things optimistically. Tongue

EDIT: But you guys are right, and I should have read the article before posting. Sorry for a mostly false alarm!

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2011, 05:22 AM
What you should have done is press the LIKE button, if you like something. It's YOUR Facebook page and your parents don't have anything to say to you if you like something. I think censoring your Facebook for your parents is censuring yourself and your free thinking. Don't do that, express yourself freely.

And as for this article, it's a bunch of BSs... As long as there IS something called homeschooling, there wont be victory for science. Homeschooling is a disgrace to ALL the teachers and professors around the world, it's a disgrace for all the schools, colleges and universities and for the whole schooling system around the globe. Even if they don't teach creationism to their kids, how can a kid get some kind of diploma, when they never went to school? And their mother with little or no school is the teacher for all the subjects? I'm sorry, but this is the worst thing I've seen religions do, and the worst thing the creationists did in the name of their religion.

Sorry for the longer reply, I had to say something.

Peace!

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-03-2011, 06:39 AM
How is homeschooling a deterrent for science? there are many children home schooled for religious means, but also many kids who get the care are exceptionally bright and capable. I as a kid was physically incapable of attending public school, but my mom wouldn't home school me. I ended up dropping out and going to college to get good grades. I couldn't take the 8 hour day with all of the things I had to hide and keep quiet. Stress nearly killed me.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.