A Visit to my Former Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2013, 06:17 AM
A Visit to my Former Church
I went to a wedding today at a church I used to go to since childhood. Surreal as I saw a lot of familiar faces, the majority of which didn't even bother to say "hello, how are you? What's happening?" Some things never change and I'm kind of glad to be out of it. It's back to the big, bad world for me.

OK so I'm happy for the couple that got married. I went to the wedding out of curiosity and to see how people would react to seeing me back. My mum was there who was happy to see me back. However I stood my atheist ground and I didn't stand up when we were invited to worship. Was I being disrespectful? Or was I just being true to myself and not participating in something I disagree with. If I went to mosque for a visit, would I have to pray? I think not, so why is this any different. But like I said before, the people there were either surprised to see me, shocked to see me or pretending I don't exist.

Don't get me wrong there are some genuinely kind and generous people who go to that church but I just feel that they see me as someone who's going to "hell". If only I could convey my sadness about this, my life is much more worthwhile than before and I wouldn't change it. I've lost people who I thought were my friends but that is how it is now and I'm fighting to rebuild my life, despite the setbacks. I'm trying not to worry about the future but I'm concerned about the here and now.

Anyways I now need to go and finish off some chocolates I won last night at a pub quiz...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-11-2013, 06:23 AM
RE: A Visit to my Former Church
Given that this is the Personal Issues section, is there a concern that you want us to help with?

It seems like you have got your shit together and have accepted the disappointment of the ex-friendships.

So, good on'ya (as they say at the bottom of the planet).

... and pass the chocs, please.

17-11-2013, 06:30 AM
My issue I guess is that I've lost a lot people who I thought were my friends so life's a bit lonelier now. Maybe that's why I'm on here. :-)
17-11-2013, 06:35 AM
In that case, welcome indeed.

I don't have too many empathy genes so I'm not going to 'ah, there, there' you. Instead, I'll just point out that friendships are transactions.

If I remember correctly, you are from the UK... a place riddled with heathens.

Get out there and transact.

Smile

17-11-2013, 07:26 AM
I am in a land full of heathens so I am starting to transact with a lot more of them. It's been an enjoyable experience so far. :-)
[+] 1 user Likes caramel's post