A World Without Indoctrination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2014, 12:09 AM
A World Without Indoctrination
I think it would be an amazing experiment if we could use some small island as an experimental ground, where people are raised without any indoctrination as to whether a god does or does not exist. These people will never be told "there is a God", or "there is not a God". They will only be taught in schools what science can explain. How many of those people do you think would grow up saying "I have come to the conclusion that there must be a god or gods" when they already know the reasons for the occurrences of things that people previously could not explain and contributed to gods or evil spirits in the past, like thunderstorms, earthquakes, diseases/viruses? Then add onto that all of the knowledge we have obtained about the universe as well. I would love to see the numbers for the people that came to a conclusion on their own that a deity exists as opposed to those that would say that they have not seen any reason why a deity should have to exist.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2014, 12:10 AM
RE: A World Without Indoctrination
(22-02-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I think it would be an amazing experiment if we could use some small island as an experimental ground, where people are raised without any indoctrination as to whether a god does or does not exist. These people will never be told "there is a God", or "there is not a God". They will only be taught in schools what science can explain. How many of those people do you think would grow up saying "I have come to the conclusion that there must be a god or gods" when they already know the reasons for the occurrences of things that people previously could not explain and contributed to gods or evil spirits in the past, like thunderstorms, earthquakes, diseases/viruses? Then add onto that all of the knowledge we have obtained about the universe as well. I would love to see the numbers for the people that came to a conclusion on their own that a deity exists as opposed to those that would say that they have not seen any reason why a deity should have to exist.
That would be just cruel and everybody would be running around raping and killing each other and eating children. It would be a total nightmare. Praise the lord.
[+] 1 user Likes donotwant's post
22-02-2014, 12:12 AM
(22-02-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  I think it would be an amazing experiment if we could use some small island as an experimental ground, where people are raised without any indoctrination as to whether a god does or does not exist. These people will never be told "there is a God", or "there is not a God". They will only be taught in schools what science can explain. How many of those people do you think would grow up saying "I have come to the conclusion that there must be a god or gods" when they already know the reasons for the occurrences of things that people previously could not explain and contributed to gods or evil spirits in the past, like thunderstorms, earthquakes, diseases/viruses? Then add onto that all of the knowledge we have obtained about the universe as well. I would love to see the numbers for the people that came to a conclusion on their own that a deity exists as opposed to those that would say that they have not seen any reason why a deity should have to exist.

If they are raised in a modern society, they will learn logically, and will not end up with a belief in a god. If they are raised without any sort of authority teaching them, they will eventually form a religion to explain that which they don't understand.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
22-02-2014, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 22-02-2014 12:47 AM by CleverUsername.)
I'm sure that falls under testing God or some crud like that and the Bible says we shouldn't do that and blah blah blah...

Besides, this is unfair. Word of mouth is the only method of raising awareness these powerful deities have. What the heck are you expecting them to do? Show themselves?Rolleyes
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
22-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Right on. You just created a perfect experiment expected to go wrong in order to see what happens. That's exactly what this world would be if a god/creator actually existed.

We are the island.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
22-02-2014, 05:04 AM
(22-02-2014 01:19 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  ...
We are the island.

Yet, "no man is an island".

Except...
[Image: 1200px-Isle_of_Man_map-en.svg.png]

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-02-2014, 07:55 PM
There have been many such groups of people over the centuries. Most of them have been exterminated by those wishing to convert them, or to take their stuff.