A Year of Living Biblically

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2011, 08:46 PM
A Year of Living Biblically
Someone who tried doing what Christians and Jews don't, won't, or can't do.

TED Talk on an Esquire Magazine Journalist's Year of Living Biblically

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2011, 09:12 PM
RE: A Year of Living Biblically
I read that a while back. It's a great read from a great author (read his other books too). He continues his life in New York but grows out his beard, wears robes of unmixed fibers, blows a ram's horn, carries a collapsible chair so he can avoid sitting where a menstruating woman might have sat (on the subway and around his house), and discusses prayer and theistic rituals from the point of view of an agnostic.

This is what all followers of the Judeo-Christian god should actually be doing but refuse to do so because it's an inconvenient life.

[Image: AJ%20Jacobs.jpg]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
16-12-2011, 10:26 PM
I particularly enjoyed when he stoned the adulterer.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-12-2011, 01:53 AM
(16-12-2011 10:26 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I particularly enjoyed when he stoned the adulterer.

Yeah, that's great. It may be foolish, but at least it's consistently foolish.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
17-12-2011, 01:55 AM
I really liked the idea of the book, but never got to it. Maybe some day.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
17-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Honestly I find this entire task quite crazy. Why someone would put themselves through this kind of stupidity only speaks to his total devotion to his job and his willingness to take it too far. I feel sorry for his wife and kids.
[+] 1 user Likes Godless's post
17-12-2011, 04:20 AM
Very interesting experiment.
Just I am really not sure if it was a good or a bad idea.
To learn a lot of things about the bible and about people and religion and maybe himself, it might have been a great thing.
On the other hand I wonder how many fights he had with his wife during that year just because this was interfering so much with their private life. Alone the Sabath...
And how on earth did he know all 700 laws that he found by heart? How did he not accidentally do something contradicting all the time? Or did he and didn't care anymore after a while?
And why would he do that for a whole year and not e.g. one or two months?

Anyway interesting as I said. I have to find out if he wrote a book or something. I guess he did, why wouldn't he, this was a big thing...

cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2011, 10:13 AM
(17-12-2011 04:20 AM)Leela Wrote:  Very interesting experiment.
Just I am really not sure if it was a good or a bad idea.
To learn a lot of things about the bible and about people and religion and maybe himself, it might have been a great thing.
On the other hand I wonder how many fights he had with his wife during that year just because this was interfering so much with their private life. Alone the Sabath...
And how on earth did he know all 700 laws that he found by heart? How did he not accidentally do something contradicting all the time? Or did he and didn't care anymore after a while?
And why would he do that for a whole year and not e.g. one or two months?

Anyway interesting as I said. I have to find out if he wrote a book or something. I guess he did, why wouldn't he, this was a big thing...

cheers

Yeah, I just found out about the book:
[Image: yolb_paperback.jpg]

A New York Times Bestseller. He got a big payday, I'm guessing. Still wonder what his wife thought about the inconvenience? Big Grin
But she still did her feelings known by sitting on every chair in the house. lol.

~Izel