A beautiful thing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2013, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2013 10:27 AM by grizzlysnake.)
A beautiful thing
I have to put this in real quick. A great realization I just heard.
"The myth has to deal with the cosmology of today. It's no good when its based on a cosmology that is out of date, and thats one of our problems. I don't see any conflict with religion and science, religion has to accept the science of the day and penetrate it to the mystery. The conflict is between the science of 2000 BC and the science of 2000 AD. And this is one of the problems with our tradition where our inherited mythology, the judeo-christian tradition relates to the near east in the first millennium BC and has nothing to do with life here." Joseph Campbell

It's so clear, if religion actually did this there will be so much less conflict, there wouldn't be a creation museum or even creationists. I know many folks who are religious don't accept the creation story as literal truth and thus are able to accept or are willing to research the science of evolution.
There shouldn't be this strident conflict that there is today. It isn't about taking sides. If more people would just realise this, it would be a beautiful thing.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
RE: A beautiful thing
The "myth" should be treated as such and not taken literally, whether its ancient or present.
Religion (myths turned factual) is inherently biased, so there is a clear conflict with science, not completely detrimental, but a handicap none the less.

Think of a (theists) scientist that finds evidence that will 100% nail the evo debate, he would have pause to publish findings (does god want me to contradict the bible).

The sooner religion is a hobby like Astronomy, the better off the planet will be.
All this megasuperawesome stuff in the universe to explore.
but humans are happy to plod in their own shit because heaven is so close by.

“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world...would do this, it would change the earth.”
― William Faulkner

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I have to say "yes and no". While I certainly find "moderate" theists (or evolutionary theists) to be much easier to talk to than fundamentalists, I think it still represents a problem. There will still be a bunch of god-of-the-gaps and NOMA arguments which basically allow the theist which non-falsifiable beliefs to cherry pick.

They will likely be far less harmful to society, but their approach isn't really that much more valid.
04-11-2013, 11:30 PM
(04-11-2013 11:02 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I have to say "yes and no". While I certainly find "moderate" theists (or evolutionary theists) to be much easier to talk to than fundamentalists, I think it still represents a problem. There will still be a bunch of god-of-the-gaps and NOMA arguments which basically allow the theist which non-falsifiable beliefs to cherry pick.

They will likely be far less harmful to society, but their approach isn't really that much more valid.
I can only see progress advancing, with creationists it is at a dead halt.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell