A belief about death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 05:52 AM
RE: A belief about death
We have concrete proof that there isn't anything: The corpse of every once living thing that's now dead.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
29-09-2017, 06:06 AM
(29-09-2017 04:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Well I came into the world via a passage. I sure as fuck hope I'm not going out the same way Shy

moron,

Haha, that's a good one! Yes

D.
29-09-2017, 06:13 AM
Death means nothing to the dead.

Only the living recognize the condition.

The dead are too dead to notice.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-09-2017, 06:14 AM
(29-09-2017 03:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
Quote:The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns

Can it be so bad if no one ever wills or wants to return?

No wills.

No wants.

I look forward to it.

I can't look back.

Undecided

DLJ,

I like that, although it would conflict with my own belief that we are not enlightened as to the passage from this world. Following from my belief, I am not able to comment on anything after the moment of death.

As Ludwig Witttgenstein once said, "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

D.
29-09-2017, 06:17 AM
(29-09-2017 06:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Death means nothing to the dead.

Many of us will never even know what killed us.
29-09-2017, 06:22 AM
My belief about death is that its final, there is not a shred of credible evidence that a persons personality and memories are somehow immortal and capable of post mortem survival and quite a bit of evidence to show it can't be true.
Surely if a persons personality and memories are immortal and constitute a "soul" then head injuries brain tumours and dementia shouldn't cause any cognitive impairment memory loss or personality changes, yet we know they do, everything that makes us who we are is ultimately as the result of the chemical and electrical activity in our brains this stops at death. Life after death is an impossibility.
29-09-2017, 06:26 AM
(29-09-2017 06:17 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 06:13 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Death means nothing to the dead.

Many of us will never even know what killed us.

Once you're dead NONE of us know..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
29-09-2017, 06:32 AM
(29-09-2017 05:48 AM)unsapien Wrote:  ....... worrying about death.

unsapien,

I agree with you that it is pointless to worry about an obvious natural process that affects all of us equally. However, natural philosophy need not ignore such subject matter.

My interest was piqued many moons ago by reading 'The Death of Socrates'.

As it happens I have a little personal experience which might be relevant. In recent years I have had two motorcycle accidents which involved loss of consciousness and memory of the events. There was and is a total blankness of those periods of time. Socrates uses an argument from nothingness, to give comfort to those who might fear death, and I can see its power, having nothing to remember about my accidents. It is indeed comforting. Smile

Of course I was not dead, so as a rational thinker I can't apply my experience to actual death, but if death is just that, then its an easy ride indeed. Drinking Beverage

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
29-09-2017, 06:42 AM
(29-09-2017 06:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Life after death is an impossibility.

adey,

Following my own belief I would not be able to join you in your belief, which of course is the way of beliefs. Smile I can easily agree that life after death is an unproven notion, even a bit crazy and personally unwelcome, but as a rational thinker I cannot accept the impossibility of a possible state of affairs of which I am not enlightened and have no experience.

However, such discussions of possible/impossible are always good philosophical red meat.Thumbsup

D.
29-09-2017, 06:54 AM
My main belief about death is that all of the time you spend thinking/wondering about it is wasted time.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post