A belief about death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-09-2017, 06:57 AM
RE: A belief about death
(29-09-2017 04:53 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  When you think about it, it's nearly impossible that the very short period when we are alive just happens to be now, considering the vast oceans of time before our birth and after our death. Of course we are surrounded by highly improbable occurrences, but this may have something to do with how subjective beings like us construct the perception of time.

Thoreauvian,

Yes, good philosophy indeed. Yes Questions of subjectivity and individuation that have long interested me. Many avenues of thought.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
29-09-2017, 07:05 AM
(29-09-2017 06:54 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  My main belief about death is that all of the time you spend thinking/wondering about it is wasted time.

Biker Dude,

Aaah. Smile I note you say "main belief". I would like to hear about your other beliefs and how you worked them out.

D.
29-09-2017, 07:13 AM
“The world is so exquisite, with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there is little good evidence. Far better, it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful for every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.” (Carl Sagan) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
29-09-2017, 07:28 AM
(29-09-2017 05:47 AM)ImFred Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 04:53 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  When you think about it, it's nearly impossible that the very short period when we are alive just happens to be now, considering the vast oceans of time before our birth and after our death. Of course we are surrounded by highly improbable occurrences, but this may have something to do with how subjective beings like us construct the perception of time.

Sometimes I'll say a very corny joke after missing a basket:

"I was actually aiming for 7 inches to the right of the rim."

Yes, that's my life: where I was aiming, but a miss nevertheless.
Hobo

Put it another way then. We already know what it's like to be dead, because we didn't exist for eons before we were born.
29-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Far as I can tell, everything gets recycled. We all know how our bodies get recycled. I assume that there may be some "energy" (for lack of a better word) that gets released. If so, it will be recycled like everything else, broken up in bits and pieces. So, whether this is so or not, it makes no difference. We are still dead.

That said, given you die of something degenerative (disease or old age), it will happen increasingly often that you view death as a nice way to relax. Like a good night's sleep. The fact that you don't wake up doesn't matter.

This is kind of new for us - used to be we'd die in our prime, felled by a simple infection, an accident or killed by enemies. Now we live until our bodies are totally used up and have been falling apart for years. That can be good or bad, depending on attitude, pain threshold and the balance of good and bad times.

Society has adjusted poorly to this new found longevity. We warehouse the old and decrepit because we don't know what to do with them. We do what we can to keep them alive, and then want nothing to do with pain riddled, cranky old people.

Not so sure some days that this is progress....earlier death may be a lot kinder.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-09-2017, 07:47 AM
I believe that when something dies, it stops functioning in the same way as it did (reproducing cells and so on) and it is then recycled. This is more than just a belief, it's evidenced constantly.

If we're talking about what happens to "the self", then I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing. It's a delusion some living things come up with to help them function.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
29-09-2017, 07:52 AM
(29-09-2017 07:47 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I believe that when something dies, it stops functioning in the same way as it did (reproducing cells and so on) and it is then recycled. This is more than just a belief, it's evidenced constantly.

If we're talking about what happens to "the self", then I'm of the opinion that there is no such thing. It's a delusion some living things come up with to help them function.

I think the "self" is just one part of the brain. So, yes, broken down into components and recycled.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-09-2017, 08:05 AM
(29-09-2017 06:42 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(29-09-2017 06:22 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Life after death is an impossibility.

adey,

Following my own belief I would not be able to join you in your belief, which of course is the way of beliefs. Smile I can easily agree that life after death is an unproven notion, even a bit crazy and personally unwelcome, but as a rational thinker I cannot accept the impossibility of a possible state of affairs of which I am not enlightened and have no experience.

However, such discussions of possible/impossible are always good philosophical red meat.Thumbsup

D.

I love how you phrase your posts D, you're never snarky or condescending and your phraseology is always spot on I rate you in the top 5 most diplomatic and thoughtful posters on TTA.

Normally I try and refrain from making absolutist statements like the one you quoted especially as philosophically where there are gaps in our knowledge I understand there is always a more than zero percent chance of something being possible but there's a wealth of research on the brain how it works and improved scanning technology is increasing our knowledge of how it functions all the time, none of this research and none of the improved technology scans have detected anything that even sniffs at the possibility of postmortem survival, infact the more we learn about it the further away we move from the philosophical possibility.
Add into the equation my direct experiences of nursing the severely brain injured the neurologically compromised and I am afraid I have to stick to my assertion that life after death is an impossibility,there is zero evidence for it and therefore that which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. The philosophical chance I am wrong is so infinitesimally small as to be for all practical purposes completely moot and discardable.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
29-09-2017, 09:05 AM
We all have to die. I won't fight it, and I sincerely hope there's nothing after it.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
29-09-2017, 09:21 AM
A belief about death
Epicurus said all that need to be said on subject:

Why should I fear death?
If I am, then death is not.
If Death is, then I am not.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 4 users Like Szuchow's post