A blog idea. Does God suffer?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2011, 05:31 PM
RE: A blog idea. Does God suffer?
Hello Doctor.
Buddha never claimsd to be a god, only an enligtened man and on the credit side advised his followers to check everything out for themselves, including the things he taught.
Some aspects of Buddhism are seen as atheistic as god is replaced by the notion of Karma. Is this really atheistic or can Karma be seen as a god?
If we look on god as 'us" evolving to higher and higher dimensions, then the suffering would take place in the process and would reduce or fluctuate in the growing process.
There is a vague notion in Buddhism that the god experience is never finalized as everything is in a state of perpetual flux;but then, there is also the notion of Nirvana (end state?) the freedom from pleasure or pain which sounds quite a lot like extinction.
To me the notion of a god suffering seems like an oxymoron. The shortest verse in the christian bible is "and Jesus wept"
My atheism does not prevent me from contemplating potential supernatural possibilities despite this seeming perhaps like a wild goose chase.Even the most distorted writings can hold some ideas worth extrapolating upon.
I think it is important not to confuse the gods of holy writ with a personal idealism that is open and may entail inexplicable directives towards "the good"
~~~~~~~~~~~Mr Woof.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2011, 11:48 AM
If god is all powerful, & he is so defined by xtians, then he couldn't suffer. Suffering is being prey to some adversity, but if you have all the power you can imagine, then you'd never let yourself have adversity. and if you wanted to experience suffering, then you'd do so by wanting it, which means you would be getting what you want, which isn't real suffering. (Think masochist asking to be semi-play-whipped.) It all comes to a logic trap of total power.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
05-08-2011, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2011 01:34 PM by FSM_scot.)
twinbeech why did you say "I would recommend a starter course in evolution."? The doctors Question was about does god suffer useing the The four noble truths of buddism. There was no mention of evolution. And even if there was evolution in no way proves that there is no god if that's what you took from evolution lessons I'd recommend that you take them again.
Also doctor can you post a link to your blog? It couldn't hurt to have a few more visitors.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
05-08-2011, 03:00 PM
(05-08-2011 11:48 AM)EvilMomLady Wrote:  If god is all powerful, & he is so defined by xtians, then he couldn't suffer. Suffering is being prey to some adversity, but if you have all the power you can imagine, then you'd never let yourself have adversity. and if you wanted to experience suffering, then you'd do so by wanting it, which means you would be getting what you want, which isn't real suffering. (Think masochist asking to be semi-play-whipped.) It all comes to a logic trap of total power.

I don't think wanting or choosing it invalidates suffering; something done voluntarily can still be real. That's the point of the Christ story - of all the sacrificial deity stories, really - willingly taking over the pain allotted to another. Don't we all understand the motive? It's a function of love. Haven't we all wished, at some time or other, to take away a child's illness or spouse's injury and bear it ourselves? Of course, that impulse is based on the assumption that this particular suffering is inevitable, that it must be borne by someone. Beneath that is the generally unexamined assumption that there is a pre-determined quantity of suffering in the world, and it can be doled out in different-sized helpings.
Anyway, what i meant was, even an omnipotent god, if he wanted to partake of mortals' pain, could presumably grow a special appendage for its perception.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.