A call for calm.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2013, 03:50 PM
RE: A call for calm.
Aaaaaaaannnnddd... how did this thread become about... something other than calm???? Undecided

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2013, 03:58 PM
(11-01-2013 03:46 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  It's a shame really.
Is it, really? It's kinda more or less the same piece, so how many times do we need to hear it? Esp. when people don't really have much interest in talking, as opposed to preaching. Honestly, I've never been able to understand drive-by theists and what they hope to accomplish. Of course, I've never been able to understand people who try to force their views on others, no matter what those views may be. It smacks of insecurity and is rather ugly.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
11-01-2013, 04:47 PM
(11-01-2013 03:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  Is it, really? It's kinda more or less the same piece, so how many times do we need to hear it? Esp. when people don't really have much interest in talking, as opposed to preaching. Honestly, I've never been able to understand drive-by theists and what they hope to accomplish. Of course, I've never been able to understand people who try to force their views on others, no matter what those views may be. It smacks of insecurity and is rather ugly.

What I mean by its ashame is that instead of coming here to discuss and debate, or to even just enjoy the forum, they come to preach and run like it will actually cause us to go "wow that random bible quote has made me re evaluate my entire beliefs". It's something i've never understood either.

Egor. Yes a lack of diversity of opinions would make any forum grow stale. The atheism and theism section could use a few more Theists willing to discuss and debate.
Apart from a lack of belief in gods everyone here has different opinions so debate and discussion still go on here like it always has. It takes very little browsing here to see it. Its not in short supply.
There is no danger of this forum becoming "one of those cliquish MSN Group Christian-like forums" any time in the foreseeable future.
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
(11-01-2013 03:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 03:46 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  It's a shame really.
Is it, really? It's kinda more or less the same piece, so how many times do we need to hear it? Esp. when people don't really have much interest in talking, as opposed to preaching. Honestly, I've never been able to understand drive-by theists and what they hope to accomplish. Of course, I've never been able to understand people who try to force their views on others, no matter what those views may be. It smacks of insecurity and is rather ugly.
What if I'm a drive by theist?

Riding a snail?

[Image: deeproy_neverendingstory_teenyweeny.jpg]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 7 users Like kingschosen's post
11-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Wow, KC, I must be more tipsy than I thought, because that snail's face looks like a behind to me Blush

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
11-01-2013, 05:00 PM
(11-01-2013 04:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(11-01-2013 03:58 PM)Vera Wrote:  Is it, really? It's kinda more or less the same piece, so how many times do we need to hear it? Esp. when people don't really have much interest in talking, as opposed to preaching. Honestly, I've never been able to understand drive-by theists and what they hope to accomplish. Of course, I've never been able to understand people who try to force their views on others, no matter what those views may be. It smacks of insecurity and is rather ugly.

Riding a snail?

It is a compelling hypothesis. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
(11-01-2013 04:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Riding a snail?

Better have a friend named atreyu then.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
11-01-2013, 10:40 PM

(11-01-2013 03:03 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Sock Puppeting has always been a bannable offence. It's not a new development. There's really no point banning someone if they can just sign up again straight away.

Right, but most people get attached to their nics. They develop a reputation, post count, that sort of thing. Let's say a person has four or five sock puppets, each one is responsible for it's own actions. I'm just suggesting don't ask; don't tell. Now, if someone is trying to sabotage the forum or post spam, etc., then yeah, you'd have to ban the IP address and all their nics. Ultimately, however, they can get a new computer, or use a different one and join again. I've joined Absolute Write like seven times, but I can never use Egor, Edward, Veridican, again on that forum, and even more, I can't be myself. So, the ban works, even though I think I'm actually a current member right now, but I can't be myself, so I don't visit very often, and I never post.

At the same time, if you just wanted to get rid of the guy--I can appreciate that. It just seems counterproductive.

But maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. School me. Confused
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm getting gist of multiply personality being implied here.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
11-01-2013, 10:44 PM

(11-01-2013 03:09 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Janus's original account on this forum under another name was banned for constantly spamming the shout box with ads after being warned to stop. another account was banned first post for posting spam, Sock puppetry has always been against the rules its nothing new.

Right. I can understand if you just got sick of dealing with him. I'm not defending him, I'm just wondering if it works.
Quote this message in a reply