A consideration of faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2015, 07:13 PM
RE: A consideration of faith
(26-01-2015 06:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Me. I'm the the Cloud of Unknowing, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloud_of_Unknowing

Except I replace the word "god" with reality.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2015, 10:09 PM

[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
26-01-2015, 10:18 PM
There was more, but I was drinking, so I pulled my own plug. Big Grin

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2015, 10:33 PM
(26-01-2015 10:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There was more, but I was drinking, so I pulled my own plug. Big Grin

More drunk please.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
27-01-2015, 07:27 AM
(26-01-2015 03:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't question anyone's faith, just their claims. Drinking Beverage
What if I claim that any axiomatic system is a matter of faith?

I would simultaneously agree and disagree with you. You don't need faith in the axioms to treat them as "what if?" propositions. What if 1+1 = 2? Hrrm... where could we go with that? Let's swim in the ocean of possibility each axiom creates for us and enjoy it all while it lasts. We all go home when the music stops. Am I speaking your language or do I need to down a pint or two to get there? Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
27-01-2015, 07:58 AM
(26-01-2015 06:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It is no error to have faith that who I am now is who I shall be tomorrow.

Wrong. You change constantly.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-01-2015, 08:44 AM
(27-01-2015 07:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 06:55 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It is no error to have faith that who I am now is who I shall be tomorrow.

Wrong. You change constantly.

You're wrong, poopyhead! Tongue

(Correct. I was sloppy in my generalization, however there's a vector of identity that perseveres for groups of time. That's the problem with these emotional based outbursts, spun up in a fit of passion and incomplete expression.)

27-01-2015, 08:49 AM
(26-01-2015 10:33 PM)Free Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 10:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  There was more, but I was drinking, so I pulled my own plug. Big Grin

More drunk please.

Drinking Beverage

Well, I do have half the bottle left. Thumbsup

(27-01-2015 07:27 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(26-01-2015 03:26 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What if I claim that any axiomatic system is a matter of faith?

I would simultaneously agree and disagree with you. You don't need faith in the axioms to treat them as "what if?" propositions. What if 1+1 = 2? Hrrm... where could we go with that? Let's swim in the ocean of possibility each axiom creates for us and enjoy it all while it lasts. We all go home when the music stops. Am I speaking your language or do I need to down a pint or two to get there? Wink

Yeah, I got all spun up over something - I'm not even clear what it was other than the point of my faith not being inspired by divine madness but rather real-world activities. As for foundations, ideally we build them up into the best logically consistent systems possible; but as for what those foundations are actually built from, that gets a little hazy.

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
30-01-2015, 09:34 PM
(27-01-2015 08:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, I got all spun up over something - I'm not even clear what it was other than the point of my faith not being inspired by divine madness but rather real-world activities.

Read this ^

Then read this and thought Consider maybe this put him on edge.

“No, Gwyneth Paltrow, Vaginas Don't Need to Be Steam Cleaned"

http://www.livescience.com/49648-vaginal...0_39708647

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
30-01-2015, 10:29 PM
(30-01-2015 09:34 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-01-2015 08:49 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, I got all spun up over something - I'm not even clear what it was other than the point of my faith not being inspired by divine madness but rather real-world activities.

Read this ^

Then read this and thought Consider maybe this put him on edge.

“No, Gwyneth Paltrow, Vaginas Don't Need to Be Steam Cleaned"

http://www.livescience.com/49648-vaginal...0_39708647

Laugh out load Steamed clam. Laugh out load
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post