A day at the zoo- ruminations on the Noachian flood myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2017, 08:30 AM
A day at the zoo- ruminations on the Noachian flood myth
We went to the Oklahoma City Zoo on the last day of the year, they announced over the public address system that they were doing medical exams of a new litter of African wild dogs, so we made our way to the animal hospital to investigate.

This was a great opportunity to observer how they take care of these animals behind the scenes.

So we make our way over there to their zoo hospital/care facility, this is the care facility:

[Image: zoo%20hospital%202_zpsblvf82uw.jpg]

This facility is three stories high, it's pretty big.

Here's the radiology room where they can see what's going on internally in the animals:

[Image: zoo%20radiology_zpsdeoe3npf.jpg]

Here's the surgery room:

[Image: zoo%20surgery_zps0pv1hhkh.jpg]

Here's the treatment room:

[Image: zoo%20treatment_zpslnm7ovy6.jpg]

They also had a kitchen there too, the reflections from the glass were way too bright and I couldn't get pictures of the inside of the kitchen, so I took a picture of the sign on the outside:

[Image: zoo%20kitchen_zpsfbb3i5mq.jpg]

In the treatment room, there were at least ten people there examining the dogs, there were more people that work there of course, this was just who was there at that time, the zoo chef was in the kitchen at that time preparing food for the animals.

Of course the flood myth of Noah was in my mind while I was observing all of this. The hospital alone would have taken up most of the room on the mythical ark, it takes a team of more than ten professionals with state-of-the-art facilities to just monitor the health of about 1400 species of animals there.

The zoo employs 150 full-time employees and another 150-175 part-time employees to run the place. Over 300 people to take care of 1400 species, this still falls short of the Noachian myth which; according to some apologists, had about 1500 "kinds" on the ark.

So more than ten professionals caring for these animals on board a boat that would have been an incubator for disease, another photo that gives a glimpse of the difficulties they face:

[Image: animal%20parasites_zps3tgv1bru.jpg]

So the Noachian myth is a myth that basically violates basic reality in every field of science.

When you actually see this firsthand, it becomes so obvious how this is a story that cannot be taken literally.

I think so many fundamentalists read their book of myth, but there is a detachment from reality, it's easy to do mental back flips to explain away the difficulties of such a story when you are just reading a book, but when you have to actually take care of exotic animals and are confronted with the reality of it, you can't simply wave your hands and bleat out implausible explanations like a Pez dispenser of ignorance.

BTW- The OKC Zoo engages in active breeding programs with these endangered animals, they will coordinate with other zoos to breed animals from other zoos to keep the genetic diversity as high as possible. This is how they battle the problem of population bottlenecks in endangered species. Some of these species have populations of around 1000, but they are in a constant struggle with the issues that population bottlenecks present.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-01-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: A day at the zoo- ruminations on the Noachian flood myth
Yabut... magic!

Aron Ra just started a series on how different sciences refute the Noah myth
https://www.patreon.com/aronra

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
01-01-2017, 08:41 AM
There's a kitchen? Just what is in the mince??? Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-01-2017, 08:49 AM
The proper name is "African painted dogs." The "wild" part was intended to foster hate for the animals.

For fun, visit the APD rehabilitation center in Zimbabwe.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2017, 09:12 AM
So the story of Noah can't possibly be true because he didn't have a radiology department on board? (Kidding)

I enjoyed the pics, though. They have a nice set up there. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
01-01-2017, 10:09 AM
(01-01-2017 09:12 AM)Aliza Wrote:  So the story of Noah can't possibly be true because he didn't have a radiology department on board? (Kidding)

I enjoyed the pics, though. They have a nice set up there. Smile

Yeah, and even with their top-notch facilities they have had very prominent deaths of a couple of their elephants last year:

Beloved Asian elephant dies at Oklahoma City Zoo

OKC Zoo Releases New Information On Death Of 4-Year-Old Elephant Malee

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
01-01-2017, 10:27 AM
I thought the Noah flood story simply a story, even as a kid. I was always surprised by people who thought it was a historical account of a real event.

Some years ago my dad (who was a veterinarian) and I had a talk about how the whole story was BS. He was looking at it from the perspective of not being able to house enough feed for all the animals supposedly on the ark...his specialty was large animal (cattle and hog) nutrition. That's the day when we both simply stated our lack of belief in the Christian god and the stories in the Bible. It was really our first real discussion about religion although it was his Catholicism that I (and my siblings) were raised in.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
01-01-2017, 02:56 PM
Isaiah 11:6-7

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
---

I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
01-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Like most religious stories, when you sit and REALLY think about the logistics and probability, you end up with this face:

[Image: 1a9.gif]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like ShadowProject's post
01-01-2017, 03:19 PM
(01-01-2017 02:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

And where was this hay stored and how was it replenished?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF