A day at the zoo- ruminations on the Noachian flood myth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-01-2017, 03:51 PM
RE: A day at the zoo- ruminations on the Noachian flood myth
(01-01-2017 03:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 02:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

And where was this hay stored and how was it replenished?

Hay, Goddidit! Smartass
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2017, 04:00 PM
(01-01-2017 03:19 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 02:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

And where was this hay stored and how was it replenished?

I have no idea what those type creationists would say about that. Perhaps angels brought more. I am sure somewhere, some silly creationist types have concocted some far fetched idea about that.

Of course there is the old types dodge. Noah only had one pair of large cat like beasts and tigers, lions, leopards, pumas and jaguars evolved later, so you didn't need much hay. And maybe the cats he had were kittens, not needing much food.

Creationists have been floating such nonsense for decades now.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
01-01-2017, 04:15 PM
(01-01-2017 04:00 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Of course there is the old types dodge. Noah only had one pair of large cat like beasts and tigers, lions, leopards, pumas and jaguars evolved later, so you didn't need much hay. And maybe the cats he had were kittens, not needing much food.

I see they've accepted macroevolution. Thumbsup Laughat
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-01-2017, 04:29 PM
(01-01-2017 04:15 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 04:00 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Of course there is the old types dodge. Noah only had one pair of large cat like beasts and tigers, lions, leopards, pumas and jaguars evolved later, so you didn't need much hay. And maybe the cats he had were kittens, not needing much food.

I see they've accepted macroevolution. Thumbsup Laughat

Yes, but if you also subscribe to more fundamentalist ideas that the earth is only some 6,000 years old, that means evolution would have had to happen at a truly furious pace. And no new major animals have evolved since human writing was invented 4,000 years ago, so this furious evolution must have happened in a very short span of time. So you get some creationists opining that maybe the Earth is a few million years old. Heretics!

Related to this madness is the claim by some creationists that the mountains in Noah's day were not very high and that the raising of large mountain ranges happened after Noah. No need then to deal with the problem of where all that water came from and where did it go.

Then there is the problem of what did these animals eat the day they left the ark.
Insert miracles here too.

Cheerful Charlie
05-03-2017, 02:13 PM
(01-01-2017 02:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Isaiah 11:6-7

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
---

I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

Lions don't eat hay. Lions eat animals that eat hay.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-03-2017, 02:28 PM
(05-03-2017 02:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 02:56 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Isaiah 11:6-7

6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.
7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
---

I have seen some Xians claim that on the ark, all animals ate hay.

Lions don't eat hay. Lions eat animals that eat hay.

Genesis 1
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

This is a verse creationist and fundies quote to "prove" that before the fall, all animals ate plants.

All this predation and nature red in tooth and claw we see, it's all our fault!

Isaiah 65:25
The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

Maybe all the animals on the ark ate hay, and maybe, like the feeding of five thousands with a few loaves and fish, the hay magically multiplied to feed those animals.

Our religious friends have all the answers, and if they don't, they will make one up on the spot. Arguing common sense with people like this is a frustrating task.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 2 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
18-03-2017, 02:55 PM
(18-03-2017 02:28 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 02:13 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Lions don't eat hay. Lions eat animals that eat hay.

Genesis 1
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

This is a verse creationist and fundies quote to "prove" that before the fall, all animals ate plants.

The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock: and dust shall be the serpent's meat. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain, saith the LORD.

Maybe all the animals on the ark ate hay, and maybe, like the feeding of five thousands with a few loaves and fish, the hay magically multiplied to feed those animals.

Our religious friends have all the answers, and if they don't, they will make one up on the spot. Arguing common sense with people like this is a frustrating task.

That would put them at odds with most of science and mountains of evidence that say otherwise, but if someone thinks this story is true, I suppose they've already made their bargain with irrationality and married it.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
20-03-2017, 12:36 PM
(18-03-2017 02:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(18-03-2017 02:28 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Genesis 1

That would put them at odds with most of science and mountains of evidence that say otherwise, but if someone thinks this story is true, I suppose they've already made their bargain with irrationality and married it.

Yes, it's a reinforced, militant ignorance and irrationality. Here in Texas, we have to fight this all the time with our politicians and the pro-creationist State Board of Education which is loaded with creationists.

The big problem is more subtle. If people are encouraged to play such intellectual games, they abandon rationality, which is always dangerous. You can apply the same techniques of reinforced ignorance in other subjects. Climate denial, anti-vaccination hysteria, anti-floridation, racism or worse. In Russia, Lysenkoism, in Germany, the holocaust. China, the cultural revolution, witch hunting in Africa.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post
21-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Oh yes, I listened just a few years ago to a preacher who told us with a straight face that up to a point, 'everything" on earth was a vegetarian. And then there's some verse where God declares that now everyone who wants to eat meat can.

Yes, with a straight face and totally serious, they believe God made everything a plant eater and at some point just decided "Fuck it, eat meat bitches".
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
21-03-2017, 01:40 PM
I wonder how fungi and other decomposing organisms survived before there was death Consider

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/