A definition for freedom

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2010, 01:37 PM
A definition for freedom
I 'd like to hear some definitions for "freedom". I invite you to post your own personal definition in this tread. This should be interesting material.
I'll start myself...

Freedom

I'm free when I am able to go, think, act and speak as I please.
I understand that, in defining so, my freedom comes with a price: great responsibility!
Not only am I responsible for the advantages of being free, I am also responsible for the things that go wrong in my life, the society and by extension, the world.
I would consider myself really free if I could find a balance between my freedom, that of my fellow humans and the resources that are needed in obtaining and maintaining such freedom.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2011, 11:18 PM
RE: A definition for freedom
Well said.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
04-01-2011, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure if I knew freedom. I live in a country where free speech is suppressed by law and all other freedoms are moot.

Freedom; the internet before 2013

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
05-01-2011, 06:43 AM

we would all be free when and if we all lived by the addages, do unto others as you would have them do unto you and live and let live. til then, sadly, its dog eat dog.
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 01:11 PM
(04-01-2011 07:19 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Freedom; the Internet before 2013
please explain...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
(04-01-2011 07:19 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm not sure if I knew freedom. I live in a country where free speech is suppressed by law and all other freedoms are moot.
Do you live in the People's Republic of China , North Korea or the UK ? Tongue

Freedom : The right of one individual , to believe and act as they wish as long as they do not bring harm to those around them.Harm to one's self will be tolerated in the absence of mental illness. This (freedom) shall be respected regardless of consent of majority , religious or political ideologies in place.
07-01-2011, 05:45 AM
(05-01-2011 05:04 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Harm to one's self will be tolerated in the absence of mental illness.
This sentence puzzles me... What do you mean by that?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
07-01-2011, 09:05 AM
(07-01-2011 05:45 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(05-01-2011 05:04 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Harm to one's self will be tolerated in the absence of mental illness.
This sentence puzzles me... What do you mean by that?

I think I get where gaglamesh is coming from here. The way I read that is, "we should have the right to NOT be protected from ourselves. If we make the choice to do something that can be harmful to us, that is our choice." This freedom could be anywhere from drinking alcohol to taking ones own life.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
07-01-2011, 09:40 AM
You hit the nail right on the head Stark Raving Big Grin - good job !!!
07-01-2011, 12:03 PM
One has the freedom do snap one-selves with an elastic band! Big GrinBig Grin

Good thinking! Coming from a rather liberal country I've never thought about that. In my definition you could have a theoretical zealot who forbids you to do things because they could harm you. A nice one would be "driving a car" for example. That CAN be dangerous.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist