A den of Baptists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 07:58 AM
A den of Baptists
I'm not sure the proper name of a group of Baptists, so I used den. Maybe flock? Gaggle? Unkindness? Yeah, definitely unkindness.

Anyway, I recently joined a Facebook group about discussing Christianity. Now, the founder of the group (someone I've known since grade school) is a fundamentalist Baptist. As such, I'm assuming most of the people in his budding group are also fundamentalist Baptists. At least that's the impression I get from the dozen or so regular posters.

Everything went fairly well for a week or so. There are two or three people who are quite knowledgeable and make some interesting comments. I'm not there to piss in anyone's Cheerios, so I mostly read, and only make the occasional comment. Eventually my lack of belief became evident, and I was asked to expand on it, so I did so in my own thread.

Holy shit.

So, for about the past week, nearly 50% of the discussion has been based on little old me. Several people there are semi-understanding of me and appreciate my calm and civil demeanor (yes, I post differently there than here Tongue). A few have even spoken up on my behalf. Then there are the four. They can't stop talking about me (while misrepresenting everything I say and refusing to actually read what I write). I think a few people there are honestly somewhat frightened and unsettled by my mere existence, let along presence among them, but to the others, I think I'm a reminder of the culture war they're losing in America.

Reading their posts, I can't help but notice how spiteful, hateful, duplicitous, and dishonest they are. The most vocal among them honestly feel that most self-identifying Christians are hell-bound. They almost always refer to homosexuals as "sodomites"; as in, they cannot see anything in that person other than "a practitioner of anal sex". That is literally the most important thing about that person to them.

So, in a very odd way, this has made me come to really appreciate the congregation at my wife's church. Sure, while some of the assumptions they make are too credulous for my tastes, it is so nice and refreshing to be reminded that not everyone is so hateful and close-minded. As far I can tell, this culture war is one the fundamentalists are losing pretty solidly as time goes on. I'm not sure how long it will be until they're regarded as a lunatic fringe by 90+% of society, but fuck, it can't come soon enough.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-07-2014, 08:12 AM
RE: A den of Baptists
Hehe. What the fuck is with fundies and gays anyway? It's not like there's a vast gay Mongol horde threatening civilization itself.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-07-2014, 08:17 AM
(07-07-2014 08:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  Hehe. What the fuck is with fundies and gays anyway? It's not like there's a vast gay Mongol horde threatening civilization itself.

Can't openly hate black people anymore. In some parts of the country though, gays are still fair game.

As they say, haters gonna hate. Gays are the flavor of the decade.
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 08:27 AM by Rahn127.)
I was fairly certain that most people thought fundamentalists were lunatics. I've never met one in person. I just assumed they lived in church basements in coffins only coming out on sundays

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-07-2014, 08:23 AM
(07-07-2014 08:22 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I was fairly certain that most people thought fundamentalists were lunatics

Only if they are of a different religion then their own.
07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
The fundies who love to judge others are the first to cry persecution when they aren't agreed with. Poor stupid bastards.
07-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Ask them to list all the things they hate. Then ask, is your god also this hateful ? Will you all still be this hateful in heaven ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
07-07-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm a Brit so not on the ground in this debate but I do wonder if on a political level the fundies are actually losing. The best it seems to me is that they're marginally losing or forcing stalemate, with the lurch towards Christian fundamentalism on the American right and the resulting social policies being pushed in red states, I wonder if it's as inevitable a decline as people seem to think?

Happy to be corrected or have someone expand upon this but that's just my view from the outside...
07-07-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm debating on quitting the group. Part of me doesn't want to give the assholes who kept goading and goading me the satisfaction. The other part will be happy when I stop visiting that group. The interesting discussions have dwindled to next to nothing. All that's left now is those hateful bastards complaining and complaining. I feel that even just reading their posts, I have to crawl into some fetid hole and just sit while I read. It's fucking draining.

(07-07-2014 08:26 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  The fundies who love to judge others are the first to cry persecution when they aren't agreed with. Poor stupid bastards.

Yeah, it is really weird. When I read them talk about it, they simultaneously revile and revel in their perceived persecution. They hate it... and they love it. It gives them something to incessantly complain about. It gives them a cause. It makes them right and everyone else wrong. What's more, it gives them a group (the majority of the planet) to hate. They can't just simply "agree to disagree". That'd be consigning to much.

Fucking Christ, these people are draining.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
07-07-2014, 08:54 AM
(07-07-2014 08:46 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I'm debating on quitting the group. Part of me doesn't want to give the assholes who kept goading and goading me the satisfaction. The other part will be happy when I stop visiting that group. The interesting discussions have dwindled to next to nothing. All that's left now is those hateful bastards complaining and complaining. I feel that even just reading their posts, I have to crawl into some fetid hole and just sit while I read. It's fucking draining.

(07-07-2014 08:26 AM)pablo628 Wrote:  The fundies who love to judge others are the first to cry persecution when they aren't agreed with. Poor stupid bastards.

Yeah, it is really weird. When I read them talk about it, they simultaneously revile and revel in their perceived persecution. They hate it... and they love it. It gives them something to incessantly complain about. It gives them a cause. It makes them right and everyone else wrong. What's more, it gives them a group (the majority of the planet) to hate. They can't just simply "agree to disagree". That'd be consigning to much.

Fucking Christ, these people are draining.

Exactly, they have convinced themselves that they're the only true faith and there is no room for any discussion otherwise.
If you're anything other than a rabid fundie you're beneath them and open to their ridicule.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post