A different take on - "What if you're wrong"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: A different take on - "What if you're wrong"
(22-05-2015 10:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(22-05-2015 09:50 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  So if the bible is written by humans, ignorant of whether any gods actually exist and intervene in this world

The Hebrews didn't see themselves as ignorant of God's existent, they saw themselves as a community wrestling with the question of God, it's the very meaning of Israel. They see themselves as characters in a story, whose meaning they are only able to have glimpses of. Their conceptions of God evolve through out their history, but this evolution is rooted and built on these early intuitions of their communities, the early perception of the tribal deity of the jews, becomes the God of all humanity. To read the bible, is seeing a seed grow and blossom overtime.

Quote:why do you feel that, as you said, "I can't help but believe"?

To put it simply I don't know how not to believe.

Quote:You ether trust the scriptures as proof (as that is the only documentation of god's accounts), or base everything on a warm and wishful fuzzy kind of feeling - no?

No, as I said previously I believed in God before I ever actually read the Bible. And it's not the bible that sustains my belief in God, it's life that sustains it: these everyday observations and perceptions, that tune that always plays, that story that continually repeats itself. When people talk of good and evil; when the man who does wrong finds himself suffering from guilt; the one who is kind, living life abundantly; the sense that life that is best lived is not to master but to serve; to commit, to love, and be loyal to. That wholeness is forever out of reach of the oppressor, but so close to the oppressed. There is a profoundness of life here, that everyone sees but never sees. That's what sustains my belief.

So perception and conception of a supernatural world fuels the scriptures? And a yes for ignorant. Check!

So a tune, life, service, loyalty, profoundness,love...that convinces you? And that is also a yes on warm fuzzy feelings. Thanks a bunch for the insight.Cool

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2015, 05:46 AM
(22-05-2015 10:32 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:why do you feel that, as you said, "I can't help but believe"?

To put it simply I don't know how not to believe.

The answer is knowledge and critical thinking. You are lacking in both.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2015, 06:14 AM
Tomasia - I am a billionaire who would like to move a large amount of money to your country. I need your help. I can reward you with $100,000 for your assistance as soon as you send me $1000 to prove that you are willing to help move my fortune to your country. Most people are unwilling to help, but I heard through my various contacts around the world that you do not know how not to believe.

I think we will be great business partners

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post
24-05-2015, 06:35 AM
A different take on - "What if you're wrong"
(23-05-2015 05:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  The answer is knowledge and critical thinking. You are lacking in both.

Knowledge of what particular scientific or historic discovery? And what would it mean to "critically think" of them, as opposed to just understanding them?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."