A dilemma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 09:51 PM
A dilemma
I would like to present you with a dilemma.

I have an acquaintance (a believer) who says, "my brother died; my mother died, and you are telling me that I am never going to see them again". This is obviously a case of "I want to believe that heaven is true, therefore, it is true".

He views me as "evil" because, by telling him that heaven does not exist--that he is never going to see his dead relatives again, I am trying to destroy his peace of mind.

Has anyone else ever run into the same situation? How did you handle it? I do not feel that I should press the issue with him (especially since he is prone to paranoid reactions), but I think it is important for me to not compromise my beliefs.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Re: A dilemma
I think you can simply refrain from commenting without compromising your beliefs.
If a friend pushes the issue, you can let him know that you don't share his views and don't think a discussion would be productive.
[+] 4 users Like mecanna's post
15-08-2015, 11:52 PM
RE: A dilemma
(15-08-2015 09:51 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  I would like to present you with a dilemma.

I have an acquaintance (a believer) who says, "my brother died; my mother died, and you are telling me that I am never going to see them again". This is obviously a case of "I want to believe that heaven is true, therefore, it is true".

He views me as "evil" because, by telling him that heaven does not exist--that he is never going to see his dead relatives again, I am trying to destroy his peace of mind.

Has anyone else ever run into the same situation? How did you handle it? I do not feel that I should press the issue with him (especially since he is prone to paranoid reactions), but I think it is important for me to not compromise my beliefs.

Get him to join this forum. We will line him up against the wall and then shoot his kneecaps off. Then he'll have something to whinge about, but it won't be to you. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
15-08-2015, 11:56 PM
(15-08-2015 09:51 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  I would like to present you with a dilemma.

Friends come and go. Some remain. That's life.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
16-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Tell him that even if there is a heaven or some sort of afterlife, it's bound to be a very very large place and finding loved ones again in a place probably larger than the universe is a near impossibility, so yes, you still most likely will never see them again.

As a baby you saw your mother's tits all the time.
Did you really expect to keep on seeing them as an adult ?

The same could be said for an afterlife.
Although I don't believe in one, I welcome a pleasant surprise as much as the next person, kinda like that time when your mom got drunk and showed me her tits.

Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
16-08-2015, 06:41 AM
Your friend sounds a bit unhinged; I would be careful around him. Calling you evil because you believe something different is quite the warning sign, IMO. I would avoid him as well as the topic of an afterlife.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-08-2015, 06:45 AM
(15-08-2015 09:51 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  I have an acquaintance (a believer) who says, "my brother died; my mother died, and you are telling me that I am never going to see them again". This is obviously a case of "I want to believe that heaven is true, therefore, it is true".

Exactly.

All I say is that there are people (and pets) that I wish I could see again but wanting something isn't the same as it being true. No matter how much I might like it to be true, if there is no evidence that it will happen then I have to resign myself to that. It is part of what compels me to be as open and generous and supporting as I can with the people who are still in my life. I live for now because I have no reason to think there really is anything more.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post