A discussion that has nothing to do with religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 07:14 AM by RearViewMirror.)
A discussion that has nothing to do with religion
I realize we talk a lot about religion in this forum. Rightfully so I might add. But I woke up this morning and religion (as usual) was the furthest thing from my mind.

I started thinking about what in life makes me happy to be alive? With that I started thinking that extends to every one of you also. So that said... leaving any sort of religion out of it (or you can add it if you like since there are no rules here) what makes you happy?

I'll start with me and we can continue from there.

1: Family. Without my family I think I'd be a shell of what I could be in a way. I am very independant and have always been since an early age but that doesn't discount the amount of impact my family has on me and gaining a different perspective on life itself.

2. My 12 year old daughter. I realize this could also fall under family but I feel that my daughter deserves a category all to herself. When she was six years old and I hit my rock bottom with alcohol and started making my trek back to sobriety she was there every step of the way. She is wise beyond her years. I've been sober for going on six years and without her (and my wife's help) I've no idea where I would be. We have a special bond that I don't think anyone can break. She has seen me at my worst but also seen me at my best. She never worries about asking any question regardless of the subject or how hard it may be to talk about because she knows that I will never approach it with a condescending eye. I cherish every moment that I get to spend with her because in the not too distant future she will be a strong, independant woman. And the foundation we have laid will have helped form that.

3: Getting out of bed each morning and watching everything come back to life. For instance... The dove that has built a nest on my front porch raising her small babies. She has gotten to a point that she will not fly away as we open the door. We will quietly sit while we watch her tend to her young. It's almost like she trusts us that we will not harm her (though I doubt that is really the truth it still makes me feel good). The circle of life.

4: The rain that came last night. To me there is nothing better than going to sleep hearing the distant thunder.

5: All the places I've had the privilege to either live or visit. The small field by a lake in Colorado where my wife and I were married. It was just me, my wife, and a very old Methodist Minister (Her name was Gayle Judge). That was 17 years ago but I still remember my wife's eyes, her face, the slight breeze blowing through her hair, fumbling one of the lines of our vows. It was a moment in time that time stood still. Those moments come very rarely. Cherish them when they do.

I could list many more but I'd like to leave this discussion up to you. What is important, what makes you tick, what are your dreams, what is your life?

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like RearViewMirror's post
30-04-2017, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 09:01 AM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: A discussion that has nothing to do with religion
(30-04-2017 07:06 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  What is important, what makes you tick, what are your dreams, what is your life?

What is most important to me is the expertise of other humans which enriches by life, especially through the books I read, though also through DVDs I watch and lectures I listen to. I've learned all sorts perspectives I value very highly in those ways. I'm a perpetual student.

My dreams are of contributing to others in some similar fashion through one or more of several projects I'm presently working on, all in various stages of completion.

So my life is largely made up of studying and working on projects, plus time for internet discussions and news shows.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
30-04-2017, 09:30 AM
I'm fairly easy to satisfy. I often enjoy listening to the birds after waking up, for example, as I'm doing currently. I also enjoy fruit. I'm a pretty simple person.

[+] 3 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
30-04-2017, 10:00 AM
I think that the way Aristotle suggests we approach the pursuit of happiness is still the most dead on.

The problem is simply thinking about doing the things I need to do to be happy makes me more depressed. It gets to the point where everyday feels like a crisis so instead of doing something I can build on I'm constantly in a just do whatever it takes to get through the day mode.

It's getting better, I think, but way too slowly unless I'm going to live a thousand years.
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
30-04-2017, 10:02 AM
(30-04-2017 07:06 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I realize we talk a lot about religion in this forum. Rightfully so I might add. But I woke up this morning and religion (as usual) was the furthest thing from my mind.

I started thinking about what in life makes me happy to be alive? With that I started thinking that extends to every one of you also. So that said... leaving any sort of religion out of it (or you can add it if you like since there are no rules here) what makes you happy?

I'll start with me and we can continue from there.

1: Family. Without my family I think I'd be a shell of what I could be in a way. I am very independant and have always been since an early age but that doesn't discount the amount of impact my family has on me and gaining a different perspective on life itself.

2. My 12 year old daughter. I realize this could also fall under family but I feel that my daughter deserves a category all to herself. When she was six years old and I hit my rock bottom with alcohol and started making my trek back to sobriety she was there every step of the way. She is wise beyond her years. I've been sober for going on six years and without her (and my wife's help) I've no idea where I would be. We have a special bond that I don't think anyone can break. She has seen me at my worst but also seen me at my best. She never worries about asking any question regardless of the subject or how hard it may be to talk about because she knows that I will never approach it with a condescending eye. I cherish every moment that I get to spend with her because in the not too distant future she will be a strong, independant woman. And the foundation we have laid will have helped form that.

3: Getting out of bed each morning and watching everything come back to life. For instance... The dove that has built a nest on my front porch raising her small babies. She has gotten to a point that she will not fly away as we open the door. We will quietly sit while we watch her tend to her young. It's almost like she trusts us that we will not harm her (though I doubt that is really the truth it still makes me feel good). The circle of life.

4: The rain that came last night. To me there is nothing better than going to sleep hearing the distant thunder.

5: All the places I've had the privilege to either live or visit. The small field by a lake in Colorado where my wife and I were married. It was just me, my wife, and a very old Methodist Minister (Her name was Gayle Judge). That was 17 years ago but I still remember my wife's eyes, her face, the slight breeze blowing through her hair, fumbling one of the lines of our vows. It was a moment in time that time stood still. Those moments come very rarely. Cherish them when they do.

I could list many more but I'd like to leave this discussion up to you. What is important, what makes you tick, what are your dreams, what is your life?

Ultimately we are all individuals. There is no right way to live life, but for say don't physically harm others, don't be greedy. Don't assume what makes you tick is how everyone else should do it.

The world has enough billionaires. What the world needs are more economic stability for workers, and less poverty, more education. Outside that, what you do to make you happy is your thing.

My thing is my poetry. I don't see myself getting rich or famous, nor would I want that because famous people live in fishbowls. Happiness isn't a title or paycheck first, happiness is first being happy with yourself, what you do after that is up to you.

Be you, that is my best advice to anyone. Material things come and go, so life is about relationships, and when you have that, you have everything.

Certainly try to go after what you want in life, who knows. But if you cant make a living doing what you want, you can always find a job with people you enjoy working with.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
30-04-2017, 10:23 AM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 10:31 AM by Vera.)
(30-04-2017 09:30 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I often enjoy listening to the birds after waking up

I really miss hearing the birds* outside when I'm waking up. Especially now, when the nightingales (love of my life!) are coming back Sadcryface

Actually, I miss silence. A lot. As I'm currently (and temporarily!) living in a flat on a main street and I haven't really "heard" real silence since I left home, a couple of months ago. So, I really miss the quiet peacefulness of night (last trip, I missed seeing the moon through my window every night, as my room was overlooking a crappy patio and I was only seeing my crappy - and unbelievably loud - neighbours' windows)

I'm also missing spring, fruit-trees blooming, lilacs bloomings, linden-trees blooming. And I sure as hell will miss the mulberries when they're ripe and ready to eat.

* And by birds I mean our European, temperate climate birds. Not the screeching monsters I lived with for three weeks here. I mean, they're pretty and colourful and everything, but god, why is everything here so freaking loud!

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
30-04-2017, 10:38 AM
I've got an old fashioned push mower and it needs the blades sharpened. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-04-2017, 11:01 AM
Relationships come and go - some last decades, some are short, but they all come and go. Twice widowed, I am done with relationships. Retired, I love my life as it is now, no changes needed or wanted. I love nature, watching and listening to birds and various wildlife (Right now there are a shitload of goslings in the pond, so fun to watch). I love my garden, I can walk around in there and smell the flowers for hours. Love my fruit trees and berries, and grow all kinds of veggies. And I sure love my dogs, they are great company, always happy.

I can do whatever I want, read, play with the dogs, play games, watch TV, and, oh, not to forget my massage chair - my variety of yoga. Big Grin

Yep, life is good and if it ends tomorrow, it will be a life well lived. Many, many adventures behind me, and hopefully much time left to enjoy the fruit of my labor.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 7 users Like Dom's post
30-04-2017, 02:46 PM
Yoga makes me happy. It's helped (and continues to help) me in so many ways. It's so much a part of me. Many people who fall in love with the practice say it feels like coming home. That's exactly what it feels like to me. It challenges me, comforts me, makes me a better person, strengthens my body and quiets my mind. It completely blisses me out.

I also love my animals, particularly my cat, who is my best friend Tongue I think my cat and I are codependent on one another. Laugh out load

I honestly would be happy living on a houseboat in Yellowknife with my cat, doing yoga every day, and going on outdoor adventures. And of course, I would need regular access to chocolate cupcakes and tortilla chips and guacamole Wink

And of course, my family, friends, and special someone also make me very happy as well.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
30-04-2017, 03:13 PM
(30-04-2017 11:01 AM)Dom Wrote:  Relationships come and go - some last decades, some are short, but they all come and go. Twice widowed, I am done with relationships. Retired, I love my life as it is now, no changes needed or wanted. I love nature, watching and listening to birds and various wildlife (Right now there are a shitload of goslings in the pond, so fun to watch). I love my garden, I can walk around in there and smell the flowers for hours. Love my fruit trees and berries, and grow all kinds of veggies. And I sure love my dogs, they are great company, always happy.

I can do whatever I want, read, play with the dogs, play games, watch TV, and, oh, not to forget my massage chair - my variety of yoga. Big Grin

Yep, life is good and if it ends tomorrow, it will be a life well lived. Many, many adventures behind me, and hopefully much time left to enjoy the fruit of my labor.

I should have clarified what I meant by "relationships". Yes they come and go too, even friends move way from each other. But it is always good to have a few people in your life. I mean both with a partner and or with friends, while they last, make sure they are healthy. Nobody should be sucking the emotional life out of you.

I am done with dating and marriage myself too. But I still have friends. I like living alone right now. But I might get to the point like lots of elderly where someone might have to take care of me.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37