A discussion that has nothing to do with religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: A discussion that has nothing to do with religion
(30-04-2017 03:13 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  But I might get to the point like lots of elderly where someone might have to take care of me.

I am an introvert and happiest alone. I do have friends to go out with... Someone taking care of me - getting a cleaning lady and a gardener so I can enjoy house and garden as usual would be ok If I became unable to do it by myself.

A caretaker to come every day and do personal things for me - oh the horror! Not fun anymore, I think I'll pass.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
30-04-2017, 04:58 PM
While there's nothing that makes me happy to be alive (I would always rather have not been born, that seems to be my wiring), these things give me purpose/make me feel happy:

My family of choice: husband, son, friends, colleagues, students, pets
Music: playing, listening, teaching
Words: writing and reading and talking
Emotional outreach. I didn't have the happiest of childhoods, but I remember the people I used as life-preservers, who included my music teachers and my favorite authors, and I feel satisfaction in trying to do for others what others did for me.
Visual stuff: scenery, art (looking at art, not making it).
Movement: walking, dancing, doing silly stuff with my body
Ideas. I can still remember the day I understood quadratic equations. What a joy! When I got to college, differential equations gave a similar feeling. Also when I'm reading some philosophy or social sciences book, trying to understand, and get it: that's very fun. Not sure whether it's the idea itself or the process of wrestling with it and coming to an understanding, but that's a deeply satisfying feeling for me. I think what I enjoy is the often imperceptible movement from incomprehension and struggle to mastery; there is probably some deep horrid psychological defect at the bottom of it, but I'm addicted anyway.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
30-04-2017, 08:19 PM
The spring. It makes me so happy to wake up with fresh air from my open window. The breezes that carry the smell of flowers. The lush green, the fruits, BBQs. I dunno, I just love this time of year.
[+] 3 users Like Larai19's post
30-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Money. Money, money, money, money, money.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
30-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Most of my happiness revolves around playing in community concert bands (essentially, a high school band for adults). I've learned more about musicianship in the past 6 years than in the rest of my life, and it gives me a thrill to sit down with 35-40 other people and tackle a challenging score.

I also love to work with my hands, be it in the garden or building something inside the house.

And sometimes I just like to get out in the fresh air for a while. Today I was at a nature centre and just sat on a bench for 20 minutes and watched an assortment of small chirpy birds hopping around at a feeding station.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
30-04-2017, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 30-04-2017 09:54 PM by Fireball.)
(30-04-2017 04:58 PM)julep Wrote:  Ideas. I can still remember the day I understood quadratic equations. What a joy! When I got to college, differential equations gave a similar feeling. Also when I'm reading some philosophy or social sciences book, trying to understand, and get it: that's very fun. Not sure whether it's the idea itself or the process of wrestling with it and coming to an understanding, but that's a deeply satisfying feeling for me. I think what I enjoy is the often imperceptible movement from incomprehension and struggle to mastery; there is probably some deep horrid psychological defect at the bottom of it, but I'm addicted anyway.

Bolding mine. That's not a defect of any sort. I'd venture to say that anyone who works that hard to gain understanding of a difficult topic feels the same sense of satisfaction with that "Aha!" moment. I experienced it all through my university years, and when I finished a design or analysis where all the pieces fell into place and I understood that the design would work or that the analysis was correct. Great, isn't it?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
01-05-2017, 02:08 AM
My wife and pets are my primary motivation.

I have great friends (including lots of you guys who have welcomed me), I love animals, and I try to do my bit to make the world a better place in some small way.

I've always enjoyed video games, and I expect I always will. I also like board games, roller skating, playing the piano/organ and looking at the beauty of natural scenery.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 3 users Like Robvalue's post
01-05-2017, 04:19 AM
(30-04-2017 07:06 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  So that said... leaving any sort of religion out of it (or you can add it if you like since there are no rules here) what makes you happy?

I love my Gwynnies! Heart
Well you said no religion - yet Gwynnite is more tao than revealed - and all (personally) expresses from that single absolute. I love my religious nonsense and I love being a prophet. Laugh out load

2. Much has been written to which I concur - 'cept for #fuckingearmuffs.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
01-05-2017, 05:59 AM
(01-05-2017 02:08 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  My wife and pets are my primary motivation.

I have great friends (including lots of you guys who have welcomed me), I love animals, and I try to do my bit to make the world a better place in some small way.

I've always enjoyed video games, and I expect I always will. I also like board games, roller skating, playing the piano/organ and looking at the beauty of natural scenery.

I know it sounds silly but I'm right there with you on the video games. I grew up in the 80 so the Atari 2600 was my first video game system. I used to love going to arcades and playing. It's with nostalgia that I remember going with my friends to arcades and spending all day there. I think I've had every console game system since the 2600 that has been released all the way up to my PS4 Pro now.

The one thing that I always come back to when things seem to be going wrong is my guitar. I've played since the age of 13 so that makes 34 years of playing. I play everything for David Gilmour (though not nearly as well as he does) to classical guitar. Music has always been the one constant that has centered me.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
02-05-2017, 09:57 PM
(01-05-2017 05:59 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  Music has always been the one constant that has centered me.

I heard that rumor about sane people. Their faith allows them to believe they exist. Wake up in the morning, look in the mirror; hello, John. And John's always there. My identity seems to be a spotlight focus on a turbulent sea. Within this area, me.

Yeah, so Gwynnies is kinda the second identity for me. Lasted for more than a week. So I get exuberant. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]