A disgusting example of lying for Jesus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
RE: A disgusting example of lying for Jesus
(07-06-2012 11:00 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 10:34 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I love that the article says we do not know why we grieve. lol. If this is just a waiting place, why do christians grieve? They should be excited and jump in front of a bus. Not saying I wish that, saying that should be something they want. But they don't. So why do THEY grieve? Could it be an evolutionary process of caring deeply for those they are socially connected to? No, that's much too complex Confused
Great point! You should totally go to the article and post that point of view.
I considered for a brief second but decided I don't want to invest the time and effort. Feel free to copy paste since you're already signed up, if you want, just say I heard a good point "blank". lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
07-06-2012, 11:50 AM
The pastors argument for grief proving that we have souls is ridiculous, animals show grief as well as almost every emotion humans do and yet Christian don't claim they have souls
[+] 6 users Like Billybrawner's post
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Great points all, and I might just take you up on that offer, LadyJane!

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
07-06-2012, 12:16 PM
(07-06-2012 11:50 AM)Billybrawner Wrote:  The pastors argument for grief proving that we have souls is ridiculous, animals show grief as well as almost every emotion humans do and yet Christian don't claim they have souls

Good point.

I tried to log in, looks like he's on to us. I re-read his first paragraph. He asserts this is "self contrdictory" :

"(The self-contradictory nature of such radical skepticism is rarely noticed. If reason is just a construct of the selfish gene, then the claim that reason is just a construct is itself a construct.)"

Ummm, don't they teach Logic anywhere in the Seminary ? Say what ? His conclusion, in no way, contradicts his premise, and in fact is a non-sequitur. OMG. I am disappointed. Usually the Anglicans have more sense that this.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2012 12:34 PM by Dom.)
The medical definition of grief is this:

Quote:Grief: The normal process of reacting to a loss. The loss may be physical (such as a death), social (such as divorce), or occupational (such as a job). Emotional reactions of grief can include anger, guilt, anxiety, sadness, and despair. Physical reactions of grief can include sleeping problems, changes in appetite, physical problems, or illness.

It is simply a reaction to loss. It doesn't matter who or what you lose, the attachment to the lost person/item/situation is what dictates the degree of grief.

Let's talk about losing people. Losing your mom when you are still living with her is very different from losing her when you have been living away for years. It has nothing to do with your feelings for your mom, it has to do with how much of your present personal life is affected by the loss.

Divorce can result in substantial grief. Different people may grieve about different things, just as different things matter in their lives.

Grief is the most misunderstood psychological phenomenon. Everyone expects to feel it - they are supposed to feel it - when it is impossible to feel it because there is not a large immediate loss in their lives - there is no gaping hole in daily activities. If your mom dies after you have lived apart for 20 years, you will be distraught that you will never see her again, but the actual hole left in your daily activities is fairly small and so is the grief. So people quietly feel guilty because they don't feel the grief they are supposed to...

Grief becomes overwhelming when the loss tears a hole in your daily life and functioning. That is why things like divorce and losing a job can cause more grief than losing your mom.

Say that to people at large and you will be labelled as heartless. But it is the medical reality, and most of what you pick up about grief as you walk through life is myth.

So then people devalue genuine grief when they see it in others because they have lost a mother or father or whoever themselves and they dealt with it. So what is that person doing falling apart in grief? That must be a weak person.

Bullshit.

Real grief tears out the very foundation of your life. Everything has to be rebuilt.

The level of grief only depends on the size of the loss in your day to day life, how much of it has been disrupted, how many daily activities are being scrapped because of your loss, and such things.

Just had to get that off my chest, all the time I hear all this delusional BS about grief.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
(07-06-2012 09:29 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  Made me so angry that I actually took the time to register so that I could post a comment.

And an excellent comment it is. My only quibble is with your claim that atheists don't eat babies. Considering the time you've spent on TTA, you should know that's not true.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 4 users Like cufflink's post
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
(07-06-2012 12:59 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 09:29 AM)lightninlives Wrote:  Made me so angry that I actually took the time to register so that I could post a comment.

And an excellent comment it is. My only quibble is with your claim that atheists don't eat babies. Considering the time you've spent on TTA, you should know that's not true.
Can't say that in public. Jeez talk about lax security. Next you'll be telling them about the naked mud wrestling.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
and don't forget the devil worshipping

I am the unconverted
[+] 2 users Like lightninlives's post
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
(07-06-2012 10:39 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I also signed up. If he registers me, I will make a respectful note of sympathy, and also mention, that his attempt to use a tragic situation to bash is more than obvious. The real question someone there is asking in that situation, as he well knows, (or is too dumb to recognize), is how a loving, all-powerful deity, could allow a tragedy to happen, along with all the attendant pain. I am a little surprised .. usually that sect is not quite THAT bad. Rural Georgia ? Maybe I should apply for a scholarship to his school, and give em a run for their money. How long would I last ? 2, maybe 3 minutes ? Every day I last on my Christian site as a mole, I am shocked .. expect every day to see a "now -----, you have to understand that you have good questions, but you also have to understand that not everyone .... bla bla bla .... and that you might be a scandal, and not understanding your questions, might be a source of sin, and doubt...bla bla bla... ".
Looks like your comment just went live!
Flex

P.S. Someone just gave me the heads up that they left that comment. Weird that there's went through and yours is stuck in moderation limbo. Boo...

I am the unconverted
07-06-2012, 05:41 PM
As my buddy Bugs Bunny used to say, "What a maroon!" Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user