A distinction without a difference?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: A distinction without a difference?
(19-05-2014 05:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do know the god of the bible was made up by men -- just like all the other religions.

How do you know this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2014, 05:50 PM
(19-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do know the god of the bible was made up by men -- just like all the other religions.

How do you know this?

History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 8 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-05-2014, 06:02 PM
(19-05-2014 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How do you know this?

History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

How did you come to the knowledge that the God of the bible was made up by men via History?
19-05-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2014 07:07 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(19-05-2014 06:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

How did you come to the knowledge that the God of the bible was made up by men via History?

That is not what I said.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

19-05-2014, 06:13 PM
(19-05-2014 06:02 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

Not sure what "via history" means.

People are the only things that have written anything. Carbon dating shows that scrolls containing bible passages are really old.

if it is written, then a person wrote it
it is written
ergo a person wrote it

if something is old is happened a long time ago
it is old
it happened a long time ago

Thats a good start. Your turn.
19-05-2014, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2014 06:48 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-05-2014 04:42 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  I once made the statement in a forum that an atheist was a person that did not believe in God.

I then was told by a member of said forum that I was wrong and that an atheist was a person that lacked belief in gods or God.

My question is:

Is this not a distinction without a difference?

Or, in OTW, was I not right when I said an atheist is a person that does not believe in God?

No it isn't. It's perfectly obvious that you mean the Hebrew/Christian deity when you use the word "God". Since you neither defined nor specified what you meant. it was a perfectly legitimate point. You presume that it meant *your* god.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
19-05-2014, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 19-05-2014 06:29 PM by Leo.)

How do you know this?

You should believe in the Koran . You should believe in Alah and Mohammed the prophet.Thumbsup
19-05-2014, 06:30 PM
(19-05-2014 06:24 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How do you know this?

You should believe in the Koran . You should believe in Alah and Mohammed the prophet.Thumbsup

You should believe in Joseph smith and the book of mormon.Thumbsup
19-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Does anyone believe warblythyctites exist, or could exist, or did exist, or will exist?

The very first question is what the &^%^ is a warblythyctite?

There is no answer to that. And without having some idea of what a warblythyctite is it's impossible to speculate on its existence.

Agnosticism is believing that no matter what a warblythyctite might be, there's nothing about the nature of the universe that would make a warblythyctite impossible. But that stance is absurd when we know there are an infinity of products of the imagination, such as a circle with a circumference 4.6 times its diameter, that cannot possibly exist.

How would anyone know whether a warblythyctite's anatomy depends on PI=4.6?

No one could know.

Atheism is refusing to grant the possibility of existence to something whose properties are so ill defined some of them may be impossible.
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
19-05-2014, 08:14 PM

How do you know this?

Shocking. A question that has already been explained ad nauseam by several dozen posters, in multiple threads to this idiot specifically and he is acting like the question has not been answered over and over and over. As if he will internalize it if we explain it to him..one..more..fucking...time...

Disingenuous lying malcontent.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post