A distinction without a difference?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2014, 08:31 AM
RE: A distinction without a difference?
(20-05-2014 04:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

How do History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology lead you to the conclusion that the God of the Bible is made up by men?

Why does it ask?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2014, 08:43 AM
(19-05-2014 05:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:02 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  Atheist is someone who believes gods do not exist... false

Not quite.

Atheist is someone who believes gods do no exist....true
Atheist is someone who has certainty that gods do not exist...false
I disagree with your correction because it doesn't apply to all atheists and therefore isn't part of the definition of atheism. Your correction is a positive assertion that atheists have this belief. Some atheists simply see no evidence for a god, therefore don't believe in one, and it stops there. All other assertions regarding the existence or non-existence of a god or gods for those atheists is suspended pending evidence.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-05-2014, 08:46 AM
(19-05-2014 05:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do not know for certain any god exists or ever existed.

I do know the god of the bible was made up by men -- just like all the other religions.

I don't know what that makes me.

Agnostic gnostic atheist??

Not, It makes you a Irreligious atheist. You are certain the man made gods do not exist, or the religions, but you don't know if a actual god exists.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
20-05-2014, 09:38 AM
(19-05-2014 05:12 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:05 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Not quite.

Atheist is someone who believes gods do no exist....true
Atheist is someone who has certainty that gods do not exist...false

The latter would be defined as a gnostic atheist. They claim to know that God does not exist.

I have never personally spoken with one but they are out there.

Exactly.
20-05-2014, 12:43 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 12:47 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(19-05-2014 05:50 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology.

How do History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology lead you to the conclusion that the God of the Bible is made up by men?

If I took a photograph of a bouquet of flowers or a fruit bowl, tightly cropped, on my kitchen table, does it tell you what my whole home looks like? Can you tell if the house is messy or clean? Can you surmise the color scheme or even discern the age of the table?

What does it tell you about me? Does it mean we like fruit or flowers? What does it say about how we live? Sure, depending on the type of flowers, the style of vase or kinds of fruit in the bowl (even the bowl itself) you might glean an economic value.

Now, if I took a photograph from one end of the room, the view is far wider. You wouid still see the flowers or notice the fruit bowl, but you would see much more.

A wider view explains more.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
20-05-2014, 01:34 PM
(19-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do know the god of the bible was made up by men -- just like all the other religions.

How do you know this?

Stands to reason.

It sure as fuck wasn't made up by women so that only leaves one option.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
20-05-2014, 02:22 PM
(20-05-2014 01:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-05-2014 05:46 PM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How do you know this?

Stands to reason.

Drinking Beverage

.... hermaphrodites?
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-05-2014, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2014 03:40 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(20-05-2014 08:31 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 04:31 AM)Jeremy E Walker Wrote:  How do History, sociology, anthropology, and a dash of physchology lead you to the conclusion that the God of the Bible is made up by men?

Why does it ask?

You actually need none of them. All you need is Archeology and Biblical Studies.
100 years ago the very best RELIGIOUS scholars in the US KNEW it was a human invention.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-Look

The purpose of the human invention is another matter. The word "inspiration" was not applied to the texts until much much later. In fact, St. Timothy said BEFORE the canon was established that "all scripture was God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, etc" .. 2 Timothy 3:16, so he could not have been referring to the "Bible" (as we know it).

It would be really nice if fundie religionists knew at least something about their own fucking holy books.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-05-2014, 02:57 PM
A distinction without a difference?

Why don't you look into it and find out.

The TTA link Bucky provided is excellent.

[Image: congressional-train-wreck.gif]

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
[+] 1 user Likes rampant.a.i.'s post
20-05-2014, 03:19 PM
(20-05-2014 02:22 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(20-05-2014 01:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Stands to reason.

Drinking Beverage

.... hermaphrodites?

You might be on to something there.

IIRC, they might be only minority that the bible does not consider an abomination.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post