A facebook discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2011, 05:14 AM

A facebook discussion
Moments ago, I had a lively exchange of philosophy on my Facebook wall with one of psychology professors. We talked about everything and nothing and the very content of the discussion could be irrelevant; however, there was this one thing that seems significant. So here it goes...

The existence of the biblical god is a philosophical notion that has absolutely no evidence-based support but was able to come to fruition due to the sterility and vacancy of competing notions in that particular philosophical area. The biblical god, cannot be observed, seen or heard and actually doing so would qualify as extraordinary. He also guides our lives. The existence of the biblical god was imposed by a Jew called Abraham.

The existence of the subconscious is a philosophical notion that has absolutely no evidence-based support but was able to come to fruition due to the sterility and vacancy of competing notions in that particular philosophical area. The subconscious cannot be observed, seen or heard and actually doing so would qualify as extraordinary. It also guides our lives. The existence of the subconscious was imposed by a Jew called Sigmund Freud.

It is not my intention to sound racist. I do have Jewish friends that I respect tremendously. However, isn't it annoying that this particular culture is so fixated with identifying the unidentifiable? Dodgy
Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 07:03 AM
RE: A facebook discussion
The arguments don't necessarily make sense. How do you get from a biblical god is a concept ----to---> he guides our lives ?
The subconscious mind is also nothing more than a concept. There is no clear consensus of what it is and there's no way to test how it guides our lives. Why attribute a quality of guiding lives to it ?

I don't think it's something characteristic to the Jewish culture , but there are those who are arrogant in any culture. The one thing my mind goes to , is the "chosen people" argument in the Jewish Bible. Some seem to interpret it to literally. But I see this happening in every culture. Everyone is proud of their achievements even if they aren't that great.
During Communist Romania , every invention was re-branded by the propaganda office , so a Russian name was inserted , i.e Electricity research by : Franklin-Yuri.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2011, 07:57 AM

(27-05-2011 07:03 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  The arguments don't necessarily make sense. How do you get from a biblical god is a concept ----to---> he guides our lives ?
The subconscious mind is also nothing more than a concept. There is no clear consensus of what it is and there's no way to test how it guides our lives. Why attribute a quality of guiding lives to it ?

This is not something I believe personally. It's the similarity or the two concepts that scare the crap out of my. It's systemic repetition of the following phrase: "Let's invent something that does not exist just to have an alibi for our actions"

Quote:I don't think it's something characteristic to the Jewish culture , but there are those who are arrogant in any culture. The one thing my mind goes to , is the "chosen people" argument in the Jewish Bible. Some seem to interpret it to literally.

I knew I shouldn't have said anything about that particular thing. What I wanted to say was not that the Jewish are responsible for something but rather that they appear to base their belief systems of external attribution. This is something that ofc cannot be generalized to an entire population or possibly not even the majority of one. This is the problem with biases. You see one similarity/dissimilarity and you somehow think you have connected all the dots. Meh, sorry... Dodgy
29-05-2011, 03:18 AM
Celestus87 wrote "It's systemic repetition of the following phrase: "Let's invent something that does not exist just to have an alibi for our actions"

Welcome to postmodernism.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice
29-05-2011, 08:55 AM

(29-05-2011 03:18 AM)pilgrim Wrote:  Welcome to postmodernism.

Thank you very much. Glad to be here! Cool

...Now, where's the exit? Dodgy
30-05-2011, 05:40 AM
Ay, there's the rub.

Heidegger said (The Origin of a Work of Art) that a people's historical existence, i.e. truth and being, is brought about through a work of art. Examples elicited to support this are often the Illiad for the Greeks and the Inferno for mediaeval Catholics. The first post gives two examples that roughly fit the model.

If one accepts this sort of outlook, all concepts of being are only locally true and I don't see how one can be satisfied to operate within the scope of the being of a single people. At best, one can become something of a cultural voyeur, always observing but never able to enter into any single culture.

He was part of my dream, of course--but then I was part of his dream, too!
--Alice