A facinatingly disturbing thought

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2012, 08:49 AM
A facinatingly disturbing thought
Ran across the video today while on youtube... and it very clearly puts into perspective somthing that I've kinda had an idea about for many years... I just never defined it as well as Dr. Neil has..

My own thoughts were that our own human idea of intelligence is limited.. when in fact we are possibly just too stupid to really figure out the grand picture of things when it comes to the universe and it's origins.

Anyhow I found this video to be very informative and would like to hear what your thoughts are on this.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2012, 09:44 AM
RE: A facinatingly disturbing thought
Hah, I love how Neil gets all pumped up when talking about science. Smile

It is a nice, interesting video you gave us here. And it is very fascinating, as Neil said, that we appear so much more 'advanced' than chimps, all due to cca. 1% difference in DNA. But I don't think it's all in the DNA. I mean, it is, but look at he progress we've made in the last 50 years. All of today's technology basically has roots in the last 50 years or so. And as we progress more and more, we progress faster and faster, so the farther away we are from the first steps on our way of advancement, the faster we're running, just like the galaxies getting away from ours move faster the farther away they are. And science that might have seemed very advanced to our grandgrandparents is now being taught in high-schools. So I don't think we're too stupid to figure out how the universe works, I think we're just too young as a species to be able to do so.

[Image: s1hlsk.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like le_procyon's post
29-10-2012, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2012 11:05 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-10-2012 08:49 AM)ddrew Wrote:  Ran across the video today while on youtube... and it very clearly puts into perspective somthing that I've kinda had an idea about for many years... I just never defined it as well as Dr. Neil has..

My own thoughts were that our own human idea of intelligence is limited.. when in fact we are possibly just too stupid to really figure out the grand picture of things when it comes to the universe and it's origins.

Anyhow I found this video to be very informative and would like to hear what your thoughts are on this.

This is precisely the point of Ray Kurzweil, and his Singularity. Although Kurzweil spells out in much more detail how the "next" 1%" will occur. Not only that, it will occur in the next 50 years, as the parabolic, (geometric) increase in human knowledge "goes up" the parabola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XWXJDgbeP0
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beat...dedly-out/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

29-10-2012, 11:00 AM
It's a great video of Dr. Tyson.

I guess there is a comfort in the thought that somewhere, there might be something that knows all there is to know, or at least more than us. I wonder, if they were presented with the topic of science fiction, how they would see it.

[Image: image-6s.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
29-10-2012, 11:43 PM
It brings to mind the scene in Men In Black in which agent K tells Will Smith that "In some parts of the Universe, Human intelligence is considered so primitive that it's looked upon as an infectious disease."

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I think this would also relate here

Richard Dawkins: Why the universe seems so strange

[+] 1 user Likes Grassy Knoll's post