A few of my instrments. Drummers and percussionists may like this.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
15-08-2015, 04:33 AM
RE: A few of my instrments. Drummers and percussionists may like this.
Wow, amazing collection of instruments Banjo!

My first serious boyfriend played drums (he also played guitar though was primarily a drummer). Music has been very good to him as part of his scholarship to Notre Dame was for drumming in the marching band...even working up to drum major.

I have always loved the sound of drums in music - a marching band with an excellent drum line still gives me chills.

My musical ability ends at enjoying the musical talent of others.

In high school the boyfriend decided to teach me how to play drums and we set up his kit at mom and dad's house - that's when I found out that I am unable to move both hands and feet in different ways at the same time and having it sound like anything other than a two year old playing with pots and pans. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-08-2015, 04:51 AM
(15-08-2015 04:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  In high school the boyfriend decided to teach me how to play drums and we set up his kit at mom and dad's house - that's when I found out that I am unable to move both hands and feet in different ways at the same time and having it sound like anything other than a two year old playing with pots and pans. Undecided

Thanks Anjele. There's loads more to go.

As for your trying to learn, it can be hard to get it all happening at once. I do not teach that way, depending on the student. You may have found with me you could have been clapping or using just one limb to begin.

Teaching is an art in itself and if a student struggles I tend not to blame the student.

This thread exists really as a selfish thing for me to keep track of instruments because when I thought I was dying I gave them out to people. I am getting some back tomorrow. Basically I want to begin practicing again.

If people want to look at it great. I know there is another drummer here because I saw the photo in the photo thread. So perhaps it is not such a waste of space. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-08-2015, 05:19 AM
(15-08-2015 04:51 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 04:33 AM)Anjele Wrote:  In high school the boyfriend decided to teach me how to play drums and we set up his kit at mom and dad's house - that's when I found out that I am unable to move both hands and feet in different ways at the same time and having it sound like anything other than a two year old playing with pots and pans. Undecided
Thanks Anjele. There's loads more to go.

As for your trying to learn, it can be hard to get it all happening at once. I do not teach that way, depending on the student. You may have found with me you could have been clapping or using just one limb to begin.

Teaching is an art in itself and if a student struggles I tend not to blame the student.
We were just goofing around. I was pretty competent when it came to setting up the drum kit for gigs. Playing the drums...not so much. Tongue I was better at dancing to the music.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
15-08-2015, 05:40 AM
I bet I could get you playing. No worries. "Look at her go!" Wink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
15-08-2015, 12:50 PM
(13-08-2015 08:44 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Thanks guys. It is a bit of a selfish thread I know, but I lose track of everything. To have it all in one place where I don't have to search through all the libraries on Photobucket makes it easier.

MrsB, you can edit posts. Try the Full edit as it gives you all the options.

This drum is made of marble. No kidding. Weighs a tonne.

[Image: ForumRunner_20141017_215729%201_zpsdoj7lsra.png]

My teaching kit in my studio. There is another exactly like it next to it. Oh and the tall drum with a Brasilian flag on it is a tan tan and the thing on it is another of my chekeres. A gourd covered in beads.

[Image: 2012-03-02_14.26.01_zpszchraywz.jpg]

[Image: 2012-03-02_14.29.37_zpscpe82y7t.jpg]

I know about the edit button, banjo, & tried it a few times. It didn't work for what I wanted to do with one posting, which I wanted to delete.....it said I wasn't authorized or something, so I just had to mess it up some to change it.
25-08-2015, 04:51 AM
[Image: 30d56947-b777-46f0-8d5b-ddadf00fb143_zpssgdr2uog.jpg]

Banjo.
25-08-2015, 05:35 AM
This is a Brasilian drum called a cuica. One plays it by rubbing a wet cloth up and down a rod while applying pressure to the head with fingers to change the tone. Originally from Africa and was used to mimic monkey sounds to hunt lions.

[Image: 4d2e358e-6677-4b41-ab31-fd9746694c7f_zpsyrdgcdrj.jpg]

[Image: 20a725b9-0ef3-496a-b621-687b951b5e0e_zps7xr4nikm.jpg]

[Image: 1eb8afce-c13f-4e0f-89d9-99f84ef03d72_zpsk6hfjbc0.jpg]

Banjo.
25-08-2015, 05:38 AM
Another of my chekeres. I love this one!

[Image: ac0366dc-2db4-4c09-a816-78f39d275fd7_zpslppb0rwn.jpg]

[Image: 20e4a28a-b606-45a9-bdc9-27a0db09a053_zpsifpjc7de.jpg]

Banjo.
25-08-2015, 05:40 AM
Another Brasilian drum, the tan tan. One plays the head with one hand while playing the she with the other.

[Image: 9ad359cf-a667-4276-ad4f-24c7ffb475eb_zps3g9waife.jpg]

The head is a thick naugahyde so the sound is very deep.

[Image: e4302b14-9ad1-4210-9827-cfb2ffd5b425_zpswcvhhff2.jpg]

Banjo.
25-08-2015, 05:43 AM
The smaller version of the tan tan is the rebolo. Pronounced "hebolo". This drum is used to solo over the basic rhythm supplied by the tan tan. This one has a natural head.

[Image: 7645d36c-0f75-466d-ab80-49a0b9ce9a46_zpsgl1qvzfg.jpg]

One can see where a wine glass was balenced on the head back at some long forgotten gig.

[Image: ef8827ed-4ac9-4cf7-af1e-e847175a7129_zpscj5gnlef.jpg]

Banjo.