A few questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 12:20 AM
A few questions
I honestly would like to know.

1) What happens between religious schools k-12 and college? Seriously, the catholic schools I went to and that my siblings go to are fantastic. I got the best education possible while still in a church school. Why is it that religious universities are generally terrible?

2) from an OBJECTIVE standpoint, how do you know Christianity is correct? I took a comparative religious course in school and there are lots of religions and each of their mythologies hold the same OBJECTIVE merit. Some are better, I happen to like Buddhist philosophy a lot. Is it the age of the scripture? I would like clarification.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 12:28 AM
RE: A few questions
I went to a baptist school that told me dinosaurs didn't exist. Everything else seemed ok until they told my parents they wanted to hold me back because I earned a "D" in bible study.

I am equally dismissive of all religions, so I guess I'm not very objective.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

27-01-2014, 01:09 AM
(27-01-2014 12:20 AM)natachan Wrote:  I honestly would like to know.

1) What happens between religious schools k-12 and college? Seriously, the catholic schools I went to and that my siblings go to are fantastic. I got the best education possible while still in a church school. Why is it that religious universities are generally terrible?

2) from an OBJECTIVE standpoint, how do you know Christianity is correct? I took a comparative religious course in school and there are lots of religions and each of their mythologies hold the same OBJECTIVE merit. Some are better, I happen to like Buddhist philosophy a lot. Is it the age of the scripture? I would like clarification.

Re

"I got the best education possible while still in a church school."

Surely you mean you got the best education possible despite being in a church school?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
27-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Public schools in this country are horrendous.

I went to catholic school. I was taught music, art, literature, math, biology (including a pretty accurate portrayal of evolution), earth science (including plate tectonics and continental drift). The ONLY failing was in sex Ed. Nuns should not teach sex Ed.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
27-01-2014, 01:16 AM
(27-01-2014 12:20 AM)natachan Wrote:  I honestly would like to know.

Re

"Why is it that religious universities are generally terrible?"

I would guess for 3 reasons
1. the lecturers, on average, are not particularly smart
2. the students, on average, are not particularly smart
3. the content matter of that being studied is, on average, not particularly useful.
27-01-2014, 01:19 AM
(27-01-2014 01:15 AM)natachan Wrote:  Public schools in this country are horrendous.

I went to catholic school. I was taught music, art, literature, math, biology (including a pretty accurate portrayal of evolution), earth science (including plate tectonics and continental drift). The ONLY failing was in sex Ed. Nuns should not teach sex Ed.

What country are you in?

Did you receive any religious education?
27-01-2014, 01:24 AM
The US.

I had bible study twice a week in school and at my church they did theology lectures for those up to about 14 in the priest's apartments. When I got to be 13 there were only one or two other kids who went to those.
27-01-2014, 09:08 AM
(27-01-2014 01:15 AM)natachan Wrote:  Public schools in this country are horrendous.

The public schools in the U.S. range from horrible to wonderful; you can't generalize.

Quote:I went to catholic school. I was taught music, art, literature, math, biology (including a pretty accurate portrayal of evolution), earth science (including plate tectonics and continental drift). The ONLY failing was in sex Ed. Nuns should not teach sex Ed.

True that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-01-2014, 11:22 AM
I went to Catholic schools from 6th grade through HS graduation. While I did receive a pretty good education, I was in Iowa where education, at least then, was very good.

It was smaller than the area public school and there are some advantages to that. Surprisingly we really weren't overwhelmed with religious teaching. The whole community was Catholic so the school didn't have the main burden of Catholic indoctrination.

The disadvantages I saw, and now realize even more, is that there was less opportunity in the way of science labs and some other things due to having less funding. The other issue was that some teachers were in charge of classes because they needed a teacher and that was the nun or brother available. It didn't always mean that their skill or knowledge was in the subject they were supposed to be teaching.

My father also attended Catholic schools in the same town but had to go to college an extra year to get the sciences and maths he needed to get into vet school.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
27-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say that all universities are terrible, particularly some of the catholic ones. Notre Dame and Boston College come to mind right away, but I know there a number of others.

Now the ones associated with Baptist or Evangelical sects - agree most of them are average to terrible, depending on how much they emphasize religious teaching versus secular subject matter.