A few questions on GMO Food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 03:58 PM
A few questions on GMO Food
Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I didn't find anything using search.

I had a few questions on the topic of GMO foods they boil down to the following.

1. I was hoping to read some peer reviewed articles on the topic, does anyone have any good links on the matter handy? Google search keeps bringing up a plethora of anti-GMO websites but nothing that appears to be peer reviewed, beyond wild assumptions or straw-man arguments.

2. Is simple fear and disinformation driving the big anti-gmo movement much like the anti-vax idiocy?

3. What is the best response to those that are Anti-GMO? For example my sister is so against it that she yelled at her dog to not eat something because my other sister dropped a puffed cheese snack on the floor because it contains GMOs.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 04:23 PM
RE: A few questions on GMO Food
(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I didn't find anything using search.

I had a few questions on the topic of GMO foods they boil down to the following.

1. I was hoping to read some peer reviewed articles on the topic, does anyone have any good links on the matter handy? Google search keeps bringing up a plethora of anti-GMO websites but nothing that appears to be peer reviewed, beyond wild assumptions or straw-man arguments.

Every real study I have ever seen comes to the same conclusion so-called "GMO" produce is either as good or better than traditionally modified produce.

2000 studies say GMO foods safe

(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  2. Is simple fear and disinformation driving the big anti-gmo movement much like the anti-vax idiocy?

Put simply yes. It is mostly anti-science/anti-corporation paranoia not back up by science or facts.

(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  3. What is the best response to those that are Anti-GMO? For example my sister is so against it that she yelled at her dog to not eat something because my other sister dropped a puffed cheese snack on the floor because it contains GMOs.

The sad thing is much like anti-vaxxers no amount of evidence seems to be enough. They will keep pointing to discredited and flawed studies and refuse to entertain the thought they are wrong.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-05-2015, 04:45 PM
(27-05-2015 04:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  Sorry if this topic has been brought up before, I didn't find anything using search.

Every real study I have ever seen comes to the same conclusion so-called "GMO" produce is either as good or better than traditionally modified produce.

2000 studies say GMO foods safe

(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  2. Is simple fear and disinformation driving the big anti-gmo movement much like the anti-vax idiocy?

Put simply yes. It is mostly anti-science/anti-corporation paranoia not back up by science or facts.

(27-05-2015 03:58 PM)Worom Wrote:  3. What is the best response to those that are Anti-GMO? For example my sister is so against it that she yelled at her dog to not eat something because my other sister dropped a puffed cheese snack on the floor because it contains GMOs.

The sad thing is much like anti-vaxxers no amount of evidence seems to be enough. They will keep pointing to discredited and flawed studies and refuse to entertain the thought they are wrong.

Thank you, looks like some of the direct articles, at least the ones I've checked so far are behind a darn paywall. I was able to get past some of them thanks to my Arizona State University Login Big Grin

over 1700 peer studies is pretty darn convincing in itself.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan
27-05-2015, 04:50 PM
I suspect the GMO debate will go on for a very, very long time.....

Because with all the variables involved -- somebody's gonna screw the pooch at some point, and invent some sort of crop that's more invasive than Hitler with a hardon......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post