A few words from Winston Churchill

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2014, 01:53 PM
A few words from Winston Churchill
I struggled for a long time about where to post this. Is it, "History", is it, "Politics", or is it, "Science?" Actually it's quite a bit of all three, but it was the comments about science that resonated the most with me, so I guess I'll post it here.

I like to troll a number of religious website, including the Christian Broadcasting Network's. Most of what I come across is drivel of course, but every once in a while I'll come across something that's accidentally interesting.

The story itself was about how some European countries are so concerned with political correctness that they are suppressing valid concerns about Muslim immigration undermining the very freedom's that they're so concerned about being "politically correct" about.

In some cases, that's actually true. (but that's a whole other topic)

Apparently someone in the UK was recently arrested for "publicly repeating" Winston Churchill. (the story disregards the fact that the man arrested was "repeating" him with a bullhorn, in front of a public building)

Regardless of the REASON Churchill was being quoted, it was the quote itself, from Churchill's book, "The River War" that interested me.

"How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live.

A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property – either as a child, a wife, or a concubine – must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.

Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the faith: all know how to die but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world.

Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome."

What I found particularly interesting was Churchill's embrace of science. I couldn't help but wonder what his opinion would be of the climate-change, and evolution deniers who are STILL struggling with the, "strong arms of science" and their sheltering embrace?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2014, 01:57 PM
RE: A few words from Winston Churchill
Quote:"I hate the people of India! They are a race of savages!"

Is there an occasion on which you would use that quote aswell?

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
23-05-2014, 12:11 AM
RE: A few words from Winston Churchill
Not that I can think of, but that's not really the point is it? The quote, as best as I understand it, relates to his views toward a religion, not a race. Churchill may have been a racist, I have no idea. I'm sure his comments concerning India weren't uncommon for a 25 year-old Colonial Briton in 1899. Whether he held those opinions for the rest of his life, or changed them, I don't know.

Irrespective of that, his views on Islam certainly seem to be spot-on, even to this day, but again that isn't the point.

As I said in the original post, it was his statement that, "...Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled..." that I found interesting.

I'd never read that quote before. From his words, he clearly thought the, "struggle" between Christianity and science and was over and science had won. I couldn't help but wonder what he would think about the fact that almost a hundred and twenty years later, a great number of Christians are still guilty of many of the same stupidities for which he so clearly despised Islam.